Portrait and full body lens for crop T2i camera

Started Dec 7, 2012 | Discussions
shahar85
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Portrait and full body lens for crop T2i camera
Dec 7, 2012

Hi,

I know there are many threads about portraits lenses but my needs apparently are a little different. Also many threads are prior to the new 40mm 2.8 witch looks very relevant.

Currently I have T2i + Canon 85 f/1.8.

Mostly I take pictures of my 2 and 4 year old kids. I love the 85mm but very often it is too tight for me. I lack the possibility to shoot indoor pictures of the kids or have a full body or three quarters of them.

My options are (other suggestions under the same budget are welcomed):

Canon 40mm 2.8 – 150$

Canon 35mm 2.0 – 320$

Sigma 30mm 1.4 – 440$

Canon 50mm 1.4 - 300$

What I'm looking for is:

1. Shallow DOF.
  2. Sharp and contrast images even on wide open.
  3. Wide enough for indoor and full body pics of the kids but without causing proportion problems (like on 28mm down).
  4. Stay under the budget of the lenses above.

Please remember my camera is a crop. By the way I'm pretty sure on full frame I'd take the 50mm 1.4.

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
arty H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010
Like?
Re: Portrait and full body lens for crop T2i camera
In reply to shahar85, Dec 7, 2012

The Canon 35F2 works great for this purpose. The 40 and 50 will be too long for full body shots. I use my 35 wide open. It is my go to lens for people photos indoors, and general use outside.

On a recent trip to Paris, I made do with the 35F2 and the Kit lens, the 18-55IS. The 35 was used for indoor shots and outdoor metropolitan scenics.  I also have the 50F1.4 and 85F1.8 lenses. The 35 will complement your 85 very nicely.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
foggy
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?
In reply to shahar85, Dec 9, 2012

I think you answered your own question The 30 1.4 Sigma or the 35 F2 Canon on a crop come close to 50mm on a full frame. Do you need a long or short 50 in your work..? Then which of those will have anything close to the IQ of your 85 If you can determine that so you don't drop into a hole in IQ going to your whole body shot lens. The last thing is, there is a big gap between the coverage of these 2 and your 85= 136 on crop. the 50 1.4 would go right in the middle soft wide open, sharp from F2 down. Bokeh is not as nice as 85 on 50. Will that work for you..?

Foggy

Hoogineer
Regular MemberPosts: 148Gear list
Like?
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 vs. Canon 28mm f/1.8 on 600d (T3i)
In reply to shahar85, Dec 10, 2012

shahar85 wrote:

Hi,

I know there are many threads about portraits lenses but my needs apparently are a little different. Also many threads are prior to the new 40mm 2.8 witch looks very relevant.

Currently I have T2i + Canon 85 f/1.8.

Mostly I take pictures of my 2 and 4 year old kids. I love the 85mm but very often it is too tight for me. I lack the possibility to shoot indoor pictures of the kids or have a full body or three quarters of them.

My options are (other suggestions under the same budget are welcomed):

Canon 40mm 2.8 – 150$

Canon 35mm 2.0 – 320$

Sigma 30mm 1.4 – 440$

Canon 50mm 1.4 - 300$

What I'm looking for is:

1. Shallow DOF.
  2. Sharp and contrast images even on wide open.
  3. Wide enough for indoor and full body pics of the kids but without causing proportion problems (like on 28mm down).
  4. Stay under the budget of the lenses above.

Please remember my camera is a crop. By the way I'm pretty sure on full frame I'd take the 50mm 1.4.

I basically have the same question. I have a T3i (600d) with only the 18-55mm IS II and 55-250mm IS II kit lenses. I am looking for a fast prime for indoor shots of my toddler -- we typically keep the lights relatively low, I don't have a Speedlight, and I don't prefer the on-camera flash. Because the kit lens maxes at f/3.5, I take most of my shots in the 18-30mm range to keep the aperture as wide open as possible (and ISO at 1600 to 3200).

I've completely thrown out 50mm lenses b/c they're too long on an APS-C. I would jump on the 40mm f/2.8 pancake, but I think even that might be too long. Hence, I'm only considering:

• Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM -- currently only $349 on Amazon (when in stock) and B&H
  • Canon 28mm f/1.8 USM -- currently $449 everywhere

I've thrown out the Canon 35mm for being longer, only f/2, and lacking FTM.

I guess my question is how people have liked the Sigma? And whether the Canon 28mm is worth another $100? I wanted to be as close to $300 or under as possible, and the Sigma 30mm is close enough. I've ready about front-/back-focusing problems with the Sigma, but don't know whether they're exaggerated or most people not AF'ing using center FP and a different FP triggering due to very narrow DOF of this lens at low F-stop (high aperture).

I didn't notice a thread (recently anyway) that really compared and contrasted these two lenses. I also realize that (from other site's reviews) performance can vary b/t the Canon and Nikon (or other) copy.

Thanks! Hopefully this will be beneficial to OP as well.

Hoogineer's gear list:Hoogineer's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Hoogineer
Regular MemberPosts: 148Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 vs. Canon 28mm f/1.8 on 600d (T3i)
In reply to Hoogineer, Dec 10, 2012

I just noticed this recent thread, but I'm looking for more discussion of the two primes, rather than exploration of the merits of purchasing one of these primes when one already owns one of the mid-range telephotos (e.g., 15-85mm).

Hoogineer's gear list:Hoogineer's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
DennyF
Forum MemberPosts: 86Gear list
Like?
In reply to shahar85, Dec 10, 2012

After purchasing my T3i w/18-55mm & 55-250mm zooms, I bought the "nifty fifty" 50mm 1.8.  Quickly learned it was usually too tight for indoors work.  So it has become my outdoors low light lens.

For indoors, I'm now using a Canon EF 28mm 1.8.  So far it meets my needs.  Also have a Canon EF-S 60mm 2.8 macro.  While the 60mm is great for portraits and macros, I find I'm not using it much.

As you can see, I haven't yet strayed from the Canon product line so I have no experience with comparable options from other brands.  But, for me, the Canon 28mm 1.8 on a 1.6 crop is an effective solution for indoor low-light conditions.

DennyF's gear list:DennyF's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads