Canon EF 24-105 vs. same lens the white box?

Started Dec 7, 2012 | Discussions
Mike717
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
Canon EF 24-105 vs. same lens the white box?
Dec 7, 2012

What is the difference between the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens and the same lens in the white box at a lower price?  I've read the white box version might be refurbished.

Thanks,

Mike

Kevin Jorgensen
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EF 24-105 vs. same lens the white box?
In reply to Mike717, Dec 7, 2012

I got mine in a white box. Went  to see my guy in Saigon and he tried selling me a 2nd hand model. ''No thanks.'' Then he tried selling me last years model. ''No thanks.'' Then when I was about to walk out he said ''Wait!'' and came back with one stamped UA0227. That's this years model and yes I bought it. He took it off a new 5DM3 hence the white box.

Kevin Jorgensen's gear list:Kevin Jorgensen's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
snapperZ
Contributing MemberPosts: 781Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kevin Jorgensen, Dec 7, 2012

Yes, the white box lenses are usually split from kits. In my experience Canon refurbs are usually supplied in white boxes too.

snapperZ's gear list:snapperZ's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +28 more
Kevin Jorgensen
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?
In reply to snapperZ, Dec 7, 2012

snapperZ wrote:

Yes, the white box lenses are usually split from kits. In my experience Canon refurbs are usually supplied in white boxes too.

I'd be very surprised if someone was willing to risk their reputation by trying to sell someone a refurb as a new lens. For what, a couple of hundred bucks, if that? I've never seen a refurb so I can't really comment but the date code is always the first thing I look at.

Kevin Jorgensen's gear list:Kevin Jorgensen's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +2 more
Kenneth Lee
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kevin Jorgensen, Dec 7, 2012

Practically the same, I've got mine in the 6D kit and the date code is UA0926, a brand new lens.

-- hide signature --

Kenneth Lee

Kenneth Lee's gear list:Kenneth Lee's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 3,882Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kenneth Lee, Dec 7, 2012

Kenneth Lee wrote:

Practically the same, I've got mine in the 6D kit and the date code is UA0926, a brand new lens.

-- hide signature --

Kenneth Lee

If it's a body and kit split, check the difference in price between white box and original box. New lenses in white boxes will not let you get your cashback from Canon. Warranty sould be the same since in both cases it's a new Canon product.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
BRUCEK56
Contributing MemberPosts: 789Gear list
Like?

Hi,

Canon just replaced my 7 year old 24-105 that they couldn't repair properly (I paid 408.00 to refurbish it).

The replacement came in a relatively big white box superbly packed but in VERY big and obvious writing it indicated "REFURBISHED".

My point is if Canon sends you a refurb it will be stated clearly and prominently on the box.

They certainly would not include a refurb in a kit with a 5D Mark III or the 6D. It just comes in a smaller white box.

-- hide signature --

BRUCEK56

BRUCEK56's gear list:BRUCEK56's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,777Gear list
Like?

Mike717 wrote:

What is the difference between the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens and the same lens in the white box at a lower price? I've read the white box version might be refurbished.

Thanks,

Mike

I bought a refurbed 135L. It came in a white box.

Refurbished means (and hopefully we are talking about Canon doing the refurbing) that a Canon service center has scrubbbed the lens which means a human person actually had to handle and sign off on the lens' operational performance.  Most lenses coming off an assembly line will never be inspected by a human and the result of that is the ever-recurring topic of copy variation. If I could buy all of my lenses refurbed by Canon service centers, I would. The warranty is the same. Price was about $100 cheaper. Unfortunately, refurbed lenses are few and far between.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
arty H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,008
Like?
In reply to Rick Knepper, Dec 7, 2012

I bought a white box lens from Adorama and it came in a normal colored box for a white box price. Most of them are going to be split from kits, where they buyer just wants the camera body.

Mike717
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
In reply to arty H, Dec 7, 2012

Thanks for the feedback!  I was looking at Amazon and I see B&H doesn't sell the whitle box.  I may just go with the branded box.

Mike

underpaid
Regular MemberPosts: 452Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mike717, Dec 8, 2012

I have seen the white box version of this lens many times on the B&H website, but as of this writing (I just checked) they apparently do not have any available. You could also try the Canon refurb site for that lens. Maybe someone could post the link for that site, as i can't seem to find it.

-- hide signature --

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Martin Muehlemann
Contributing MemberPosts: 893Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mike717, Dec 9, 2012

Mike717 wrote:

What is the difference between the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens and the same lens in the white box at a lower price? I've read the white box version might be refurbished.

Thanks,

Mike

It is very common here in Switzerland to sell kit lenses in white boxes. I've myself got my 24-105, four month ago, in white box. Photo Pro dealers do split their kits when bodies or kits are not available regularly. My lens was new contained everything but the retailbox. They took it out of a 5D2 Kit. The guy there told me that they were having shipping issues with the 5d3 Kit and so they began to complement these bodies with the kit lenses from the 5d2 kits which had no issues.

In short, meanhwile I got two white boxed lenses, both new and I saved 200 bucks on the new price of the retail boxed.

Cheers

Martin

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 5D III | EF 24-70L II | EF 70-200L IS II USM | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II |Speedlite 270EX
http://www.muehlemann-pix.ch
http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/mypics/1125341

Martin Muehlemann's gear list:Martin Muehlemann's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +7 more
borno
Contributing MemberPosts: 869Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mike717, Dec 9, 2012

Mike717 wrote:

Thanks,

Mike

I got my white box 24-105mm from an ebay dealer a few years back. It is cheaper and brand new. I think there were a bunch available when the 5d II came out as people who already had the lens just wanted a body and dealers split up the kit. I think mine came from cameta.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads