Any Samples of REAL D600 Images Spoiled By Oil Spots?

Started Dec 7, 2012 | Discussions
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Any Samples of REAL D600 Images Spoiled By Oil Spots?
In reply to zorteil, Dec 9, 2012

Hello,

bought a d600 @ saturday, sunday I took a few shots (20?) and was a bit disappointed to see oilspots already!

Monday I will return the camera, see if they have a newer version (6001xxx).

Any news about serials that are not affected by the EXXON Valdez?

Warm regards,
Willem

Willem Steenis's gear list:Willem Steenis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AZBlue
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?
In reply to Carl Maiorino, Dec 9, 2012

My D800 has a seemingly bottomless supply of oil to throw at the sensor. No matter how spotless my sensor after a cleaning, I get spots almost immediately upon my next shoot. This is really just a minor annoyance. Even on a textured background, Photoshop's content-aware cloning and healing tools are so good that you can easily remove spots wherever they are with no discernible negative impact to the image.

While annoying, the issue is no different or challenging than back in the days when we had our slides drum scanned. They would almost always come back with dust spots. Back in the 90s, spotting your scans was par for the course. It would be nice to have a DSLR without this problem, but then you also have dust to contend with.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
AZBlue
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?
In reply to Willem Steenis, Dec 9, 2012

Willem Steenis wrote:

Hello,

bought a d600 @ saturday, sunday I took a few shots (20?) and was a bit disappointed to see oilspots already!

Monday I will return the camera, see if they have a newer version (6001xxx).

Any news about serials that are not affected by the EXXON Valdez?

Warm regards,
Willem

You'll be exchanging a lot of cameras if you can't learn to deal with this issue on your own. All professionals learn to deal with these issues because they happen regularly. Perhaps you would have been better served with a sealed point-and-shoot instead of a high-end DSLR.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to AZBlue, Dec 9, 2012

AZBlue, I think that it can't be the way it is right now. You are not going to tell me that you can't make any great pictures without oil spots... and that you have to use photoshop. Did not read anything in the manual or marketing papers about this....

By the way, I also shoot with a D90 and never had any spots or dust problem...

Can't find anything of oil spotting issues in the canon corner either, so maybe they have a better solution?

We'll see how this is going to end, but don't tell me that we have to live with oil spots

Warm regards,
Willem

Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +6 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Willem Steenis, Dec 10, 2012

Oke, an update!

Today Nikon Support told the dealer that it was not an issue, at least not an official and formal issue....

But, the advise was to shoot around 1000 pics and then let the camera clean by Nikon support. It should be solved then.

The camera is absolutely perfect for my hobby, so hopefully it is solved after a 1000 or so clicks...

-- hide signature --

Warm regards,
Willem

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,683
Like?

Willem Steenis wrote:

Oke, an update!

Today Nikon Support told the dealer that it was not an issue, at least not an official and formal issue....

But, the advise was to shoot around 1000 pics and then let the camera clean by Nikon support. It should be solved then.

The camera is absolutely perfect for my hobby, so hopefully it is solved after a 1000 or so clicks...

Might take 3,000...

-- hide signature --
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, Dec 10, 2012

yeah, read it...   and I can imagine the support group of Nikon that has to be at the lower numbers!

On the other hand, is has a positive side as well.... now I have a good reason to free some time to make a lot of photo's!

-- hide signature --

Warm regards,
Willem

eNo
eNo
Forum ProPosts: 11,732
Like?
Is this really necessary?
In reply to Carl Maiorino, Dec 10, 2012

Everyone knows that landscapes shot at f/11 and lower apertures will show dust spots in blue or even overcast skies. Is it really necessary to post shots like that to re-convince us that (a) dust on digital sensors happens, and (b) that regular cleanings (however you choose to do 'em) are a good idea?

eNo
eNo
Like?
Why your D90 was perfect

A few possibilities come to mind:

5. You never looked, out of sight, out of mind.

4. You never shoot anything with a blue sky in it.

3. You never changed lenses, nor zoomed the one lens you left on the camera.

2. You never shoot any aperture smaller than f/2. Shallow DOF rulez!

1. You never used it: guarantee to never see dust spots if your camera stays in the box!

For the record, seriously, previous D90 owner here. Used it mostly for landscapes at f/11, and yes, I had to clean it several times. Was it ever as bad as my D600 has been the first 300 actuations? No. But saying it is dust free or claiming dust is not an issue with it is hard to accept with a straight face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home page: http://imagesbyeduardo.com
Story-telling: http://imagesbyeduardo.com/main/wedding-photography-los-angeles-story-telling/

eNo
eNo
Like?
And isn't that an interesting answer?

"It isn't a problem. Nope, not at all. Nothing to see here... but bring it in anyway for a free cleaning, which isn't normally included in free under-warranty service."

eNo
eNo
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, Dec 10, 2012

Robin Casady wrote:

Willem Steenis wrote:

Might take 3,000...

"Might" is the operative word here. Best we can say, every one is different, keep an eye on yours, and address as needed. Mine seems to have cleared up substantially after the 1st wet cleaning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home page: http://imagesbyeduardo.com
Story-telling: http://imagesbyeduardo.com/main/wedding-photography-los-angeles-story-telling/

Carl Maiorino
Senior MemberPosts: 1,846
Like?
What IS Necessary (And What I Asked For)...
In reply to eNo, Dec 10, 2012

...Are REAL images that were SPOILED by the spots.  And by spoiled, I mean rendered unusable or useable only with alot of difficult editing.

So far, all I see are the classic landscape shots where, as you correctly have pointed out, always show a couple spots at f/11 and lower.  Other than that, all I see are white walls at f/16 which also tell me nothing.

In the end, I didn't let the hysteria impact my decision, nobody could post the "smoking gun" image that probably doesn't even exist.  I bought the D600 on Friday and, after a weekend of shooting with it, I am happy with my purchase.  The image quality is a step up from the D3/D700.  No oil spots on mine, if there were they would be easy to deal with like they are with my D3.

Thank you to all who participated in this thread...I'm glad it stayed civil...

-- hide signature --

http://www.beautyworldmonthly.com
'I'd knock on wood for good luck, but it just gives me a headache!!!'

perry rhodan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285Gear list
Like?

Willem Steenis wrote:

yeah, read it... and I can imagine the support group of Nikon that has to be at the lower numbers!

On the other hand, is has a positive side as well.... now I have a good reason to free some time to make a lot of photo's!

-- hide signature --

Warm regards,
Willem

Good luck Willem!

Always nice to have a good reason to free time to shoot a lot

perry

perry rhodan's gear list:perry rhodan's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10
perry rhodan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285Gear list
Like?
see this
 perry rhodan's gear list:perry rhodan's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10
AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,453
Like?
Here is an image legitimately ruined by dust/oil spots...

Except it's not from a D600, but rather the $7000 1DX:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1153198/0

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to perry rhodan, Dec 10, 2012

Hi Perry!

-- hide signature --

Warm regards,
Willem

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Thanks, good to hear!

-- hide signature --

Warm regards,
Willem

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Why your D90 was perfect

Oh my D90 is still my second camera, no doubt that is a great camera.

And I did shoot quite a lot of blue skies during my travel. Besides travel I often shoot with my macro (105). If any dust, then it will be visible in this combi.

And I also change lenses quite often, have two primes and the 18-200. I cleaned the camera once with some air, compressor

Yesterday I checked for dust and oil, noting at all.

So, basically your right... the D90 rocks

But the D600 makes better pictures, no doubt about that either... .it's just annoying that they make a camera that spills more oil than my Opel! Guess I have to get used to it for coming months.

cheers!

mammothtarm
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
In reply to Carl Maiorino, Dec 11, 2012

I'm thrilled to have and use my D600. I've had some issues with dust and such, but nothing that I can not successfully remove with a sensor brush, rocket blower and sensor pen. I've had to clean it about 2x after 5000 shutter releases, but none of which spoiled any images I have taken. I don't mind cleaning my sensor every now and then, it's something a camera owner should learn to do and not be discouraged about it. I'm coming from a D300 and the D600 is truly amazing. I had a blast shooting this weekend.

mammothtarm's gear list:mammothtarm's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
Leo360
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031
Like?
In reply to mammothtarm, Dec 11, 2012

mammothtarm wrote:

I'm thrilled to have and use my D600. I've had some issues with dust and such, but nothing that I can not successfully remove with a sensor brush, rocket blower and sensor pen. I've had to clean it about 2x after 5000 shutter releases, but none of which spoiled any images I have taken. I don't mind cleaning my sensor every now and then, it's something a camera owner should learn to do and not be discouraged about it. I'm coming from a D300 and the D600 is truly amazing. I had a blast shooting this weekend.

Nice shots! Thanks for sharing. Any specific reason to use 0.33 EV compensation? Some shots look slightly overexposed.

Leo

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads