R1900 clog fixed!

Started Dec 6, 2012 | Discussions
JAWilson
Regular MemberPosts: 254
Like?
R1900 clog fixed!
Dec 6, 2012

I finally fixed a nasty clog in both blacks brought on by the humidity drop here.  80% water 10% amonia, 10% isopropryl alcohol.  Fold paper towels into a fat strip and slip under the carriage   soak the towel and sit the carriage over it overnight.  Then run the same mix made with WARM WATER through empty cartridges in three prints of the black page.  It really worked.

-- hide signature --

JAWilson

Cold Smoke
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
Re: R1900 clog fixed!
In reply to JAWilson, Jan 3, 2013

JAWilson-

Thanks for posting this.

Did you create that solution yourself or did you find the recipe somewhere?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vernon D Rainwater
Forum ProPosts: 12,206
Like?
In reply to Cold Smoke, Jan 3, 2013

Cold Smoke wrote:

JAWilson-

Thanks for posting this.

Did you create that solution yourself or did you find the recipe somewhere?

I didn't check for where you are located so don't know if available where you live.  However, Windex (the household type used to clean windows) will do just as good and perhaps even better.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Cold Smoke
Like?
In reply to Vernon D Rainwater, Jan 4, 2013

Vernon-

Thanks for the reply.

I have windex here at my desk. I have heard that cleaners with ammonia are recommended because they can penetrate into the nozzles more effectively and loosen clogs more productively.

I recently realized that my nozzle problems are likely a result of being in a low humidity area (20% humidity in the mountains) and I figured it would be best to use something more powerful to fix stubborn clogs. I also purchased a humidifier today and have it running right now.

Thoughts?

Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,667
Like?
Here you go .... Thoughts!
In reply to Cold Smoke, Jan 4, 2013

Cold Smoke wrote: I recently realized that my nozzle problems are likely a result of being in a low humidity area (20% humidity in the mountains) and I figured it would be best to use something more powerful to fix stubborn clogs. I also purchased a humidifier today and have it running right now. Thoughts?

I originally mentioned the use of a 5% Ammonia solution because everyone (well, all those based in the USA) kept talking about Windex - which (as far as I know) is not available elsewhere in the World and the important active ingrediant is Ammonia - although I recommended a 5% solution and not paper folded under th printhead passageway (as it were) but folded cotton cloth (like say a handkerchief - clean of course! - as paper can disintegrate as the head is moved over same and thus leave unwanted bits under the printhead or in the base "side-to-side" channel.

In the UK and certainly here in Spain, an alternative branded product is Cillit Bang - but one needs to check if Ammonia is present as there are several products with that name with different formulae for different cleaning abilities. In real terms, plain Ammonia is the best as it does not then have the additions (really unwanted for declogging) ingredients for cleaning glass and is certainly cheaper than any commercial product that contains Ammonia alongside other chemical additions that are not really wanted for this purpose.

Final comment - to match your last word - thoughts are the humidifier should be a sensible procedure for your low humidity conditions. I have mentioned before that I have always recommended that the printhead is wrapped with kitchen cling-film (for food wrapping) if going away for a period - or not using the printer even if at home/work as that helps prevent drying out of the head nozzles.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

Cold Smoke
Like?
Re: Here you go .... Thoughts!
In reply to Zone8, Jan 4, 2013

Zone8-

Thank you.

I appreciate the response.

Do you have any recommendations for mixing a solution with ammonia? Essentially, a recipe?

The altitude and dry climate here make me cautious about dosing my machine without being sure of what I'm putting into it.

Also....

I am currently waiting for my hygrometer to arrive and see what the difference is between my work area when the humidifier is on v. what the workspace is like when it is off.

I have read a good deal lately in this and other forums about the issue of humidity effecting the nozzles of print heads, specifically, pizeo printheads.

I am already anticipating creating a "micro climate" for my printer if my current humidifier (and an anticipated second humidifier) dont bring humidity to an acceptable range.

Zone8-I also looked over a few threads you have posted on this forum last night looking for solutions (more of my waking hours than I care to admit).  Thank you for your contribution to this forum.  You are a huge asset to this community. I personally found it quite resourceful.

williamio
Regular MemberPosts: 478
Like?

Cold Smoke wrote:

Vernon-

Thanks for the reply.

I have windex here at my desk. I have heard that cleaners with ammonia are recommended because they can penetrate into the nozzles more effectively and loosen clogs more productively.

I recently realized that my nozzle problems are likely a result of being in a low humidity area (20% humidity in the mountains) and I figured it would be best to use something more powerful to fix stubborn clogs. I also purchased a humidifier today and have it running right now.

Thoughts?

did you leave your printer on all the time? also how often do you use your printer? if it is a long idle time in between two prints, such as few weeks, or days, I suggest you can setup a script and make it auto run and do the nozzle check all by itself. this can keep the inkjet open. Stubborn clogs? you can search on dpr forum, a lot of people use a very powerful cleaning kit from InkRepublic.com. I hope this helps.

Zone8
Like?

Cold Smoke wrote:   Do you have any recommendations for mixing a solution with ammonia? Essentially, a recipe?

Hi - glad you have found the info useful.  Mixing to get a 5% solution is actually not really problematical - as the percentage is not critical.  If you had, say, 20% solution it would not harm the nozzles or any other printer parts.

If you have, say, a glass about 6" approx tall and you put Ammonia into it to a height/depth of say ½" and filled the glass to about 5½" (these as said are not critical) then you would have a 10% solution - so as mentioned, something along those lines would be fine and it is not critical.  Try not to lean over the solution nor sniff the Ammonia bottle though - it will bring real tears to your eyes.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,843
Like?
Cold Smoke lives in the US....
In reply to Zone8, Jan 4, 2013

Windex with Ammonia costs about $2 at Walmart.  An equivalent glass cleaning product with Ammonia in our Dollar stores, yes costs $1.

Bob P.

Vernon D Rainwater
Forum ProPosts: 12,206
Like?

Cold Smoke wrote:

Vernon-

Thanks for the reply.

Thoughts?

Regarding low humidity:  What I do for my 4 Epson printers is to use small containers such as Aluminum "very small" baking containers which are about 4 to 5 inches long and around 2 inches wide -- I place folded paper towels (or sponges) in the containers and fill approximately half full of water.  I try to keep a consistent level of water.  It is amazing how quickly it evaporates especially during the Heating Months

I place these inside the printer where the carriage moves back and forth except I place in the paper eject area for the 3880.  I turn my printers off when not in use and cover each with a large Black plastic bag.  This has worked for me now for several years.  It is especially useful for the summer Air Conditioning Months as well as the Winter Months.

We have three sources for heating here -- Propane Heaters, Central Heat + A/C, and Wood burning Stove/Furnace.  We have to keep the inside temperature warmer than normal due to better comfort for my Wife that has Arthritis.

I have never initiated a head cleaning for the Epson 2200 and it has been in active use for close to 9 years.  The 3880 has never had clog and I never initiate any type of cleaning -- it is between 2 and 3 years.  One of the R800 is virtually completely free of any type of clogging.  The other R800 is more Picky so I sometimes have to do head cleaning.

I do regular "Preventive Maintenance regarding keeping the printers clean and don't allow ink to become attached to the print head or become "gooey" as well as the capping stations.  I am a believer of running nozzle checks every week to 10 days when not active with printing Photos.

Using the above for many years, I have found it helps and I don't need any type of conditioner(s) such as Humidifier, etc....

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Tim O'Connor
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,573Gear list
Like?
In reply to Zone8, Jan 5, 2013

Zone8 wrote:

I originally mentioned the use of a 5% Ammonia solution because everyone (well, all those based in the USA) kept talking about Windex - which (as far as I know) is not available elsewhere in the World

Windex is commonly sold in Australia at least.

-- hide signature --
 Tim O'Connor's gear list:Tim O'Connor's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Nikon D600 Sony a6000 Nikon D810 +14 more
Zone8
Like?
Re: Cold Smoke lives in the US....
In reply to Petruska, Jan 5, 2013

Petruska wrote:

Windex with Ammonia costs about $2 at Walmart. An equivalent glass cleaning product with Ammonia in our Dollar stores, yes costs $1.

Bob P.

Yes Bob.  I knew (because I checked) he was based in US of A but comments were because, strange as it may seem, there are other countries in the World and they generally don't have Windex on the shelves.  That's why I often repeat using Ammonia 5% solution for those unable to find Windex.  Out here in Spain, a litre of 99% Ammonia from, believe it or not, our local Farmacia is €1,35 and, as an aside, a litre of Methanol (for sensor cleaning) was about the same price.  In the UK - as a comparison - it is probably only possible to buy Ammonia as a much reduced solution and Methanl not even possible as is a restricted substance.  It also cannot, in UK, be sent, even in small volumes, by post.

I actually, for cleaning windows, use a totally different product as find it is far better than any Ammonia-based one.  The one I use is termed a degreasant.  Perhaps Windex or a similar Cillit-Bang product could be used for cleaning Window 8?  

-- hide signature --

JAWilson
Regular MemberPosts: 254
Like?
In reply to Vernon D Rainwater, Jan 26, 2013

I went through a lot of Windex to no avail.  I found the mix and it wasn't helping as much until I used the warm water.  I really think that the warm water did the trick.

-- hide signature --

JAWilson

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads