Best way to get >30 sec exposure on 5n?

Started Dec 6, 2012 | Questions
Tommygun45
Contributing MemberPosts: 990Gear list
Like?
Best way to get >30 sec exposure on 5n?
Dec 6, 2012

I've tried searching but the answer seems kind of elusive and fragmented. On a 5n, can someone explain to me how they are getting exposures greater than 30 seconds? I don't really want to have to disassemble and rewire some old remote so I was wondering if there are easier methods out there now to accomplish this.

 Tommygun45's gear list:Tommygun45's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
makeitso
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?
Re: Best way to get >30 sec exposure on 5n?
In reply to Tommygun45, Dec 6, 2012

Tommygun45 wrote:

I've tried searching but the answer seems kind of elusive and fragmented. On a 5n, can someone explain to me how they are getting exposures greater than 30 seconds? I don't really want to have to disassemble and rewire some old remote so I was wondering if there are easier methods out there now to accomplish this.

Manual mode selected, select shutter speed slide it over to max which will read out "bulb."  Bulb you can have any amount of shutter speed you just have to actuate it yourself via holding down the shutter button or via a remote where you press to start and press again to stop.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tsk1979
Senior MemberPosts: 1,021Gear list
Like?
Bulb mode + wireless remote
In reply to Tommygun45, Dec 6, 2012

I use a wireless remote(got one for ~5$ of ebay).

Simply put camera in bulb mode.

Press once to open shutter.

Wait for the time you want, and then press again on the remote.I have used this method many times to get ~1000 second exposures of the night sky

-- hide signature --

Tanveer
My galleries - http://tanveer.smugmug.com,
My photography page on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TanveersPhotography

 tsk1979's gear list:tsk1979's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tommygun45
Contributing MemberPosts: 990Gear list
Like?
Re: Bulb mode + wireless remote
In reply to tsk1979, Dec 6, 2012

Man, this seems silly. I swear I had tried this in the past and had remembered reading that it was a limitation of our cameras. Guys were making all kinds of rigs and custom building controllers as a work around. Maybe in the last firmware update it changed or maybe I am just crazy. Oh well thanks guys!

 Tommygun45's gear list:Tommygun45's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BennyKingston
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
Re: Best way to get >30 sec exposure on 5n?
In reply to Tommygun45, Dec 6, 2012

I am also interested in long exposures at night from my 5N.

Could anyone comment on something I read (can't remember where) that someone bricked their NEX by doing something wrong concerning a remote and or settings related to it.

...and wouldn't holding the shutter button down even for 30 seconds on tripod, allow for enough possible camera shake to ruin the shot?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tsk1979
Senior MemberPosts: 1,021Gear list
Like?
Re: Best way to get >30 sec exposure on 5n?
In reply to BennyKingston, Dec 6, 2012

BennyKingston wrote:

I am also interested in long exposures at night from my 5N.

Could anyone comment on something I read (can't remember where) that someone bricked their NEX by doing something wrong concerning a remote and or settings related to it.

...and wouldn't holding the shutter button down even for 30 seconds on tripod, allow for enough possible camera shake to ruin the shot?

Benny, you won't brick the camera using a wireless remote. Check out my post. I routinely do long bulb exposures using nex 5n. Have taken 1000 sec exposure too.

-- hide signature --

Tanveer
My galleries - http://tanveer.smugmug.com,
My photography page on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TanveersPhotography

 tsk1979's gear list:tsk1979's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mirakaski
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: Best way to get >30 sec exposure on 5n?
In reply to tsk1979, Dec 6, 2012

I like to use an iphone app called "Dslr.bot".  It is great for tailoring not only long exposure shots, but also timelapse etc.

You have to either buy or build and IR emmitter for it to work.  I made one for 5 dollars and the app cost 5 dollars.

It is much better than a simple remote, because I can attach the iphone to my tripod (rubber band) and then walk away and do something else.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NikB747
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?
Re: Best way to get >30 sec exposure on 5n?
In reply to BennyKingston, Dec 6, 2012

Like others have said, just go to Manual mode and choose BULB.  I don't think holding down the button for X seconds is feasible at all, so definitely get an IR remote.  If you don't trust buying random remotes from no name manufacturers, you could always buy the Sony brand remote, which at $30, is a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of our kit.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666488655

 NikB747's gear list:NikB747's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tommygun45
Contributing MemberPosts: 990Gear list
Like?
Re: Best way to get >30 sec exposure on 5n?
In reply to NikB747, Dec 6, 2012

I will be sure to try this at home, but why does the remote operate differently? I have a remote I had got from ebay for about 2 dollars. It has the shutter release and then a 2 second delay button. That doesn't work though.

When I push the physical shutter release on my camera in bulb mode I have to hold it down. But this is not the case with the remote? Any reason why that's the case?

 Tommygun45's gear list:Tommygun45's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NikB747
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?
Re: Best way to get >30 sec exposure on 5n?
In reply to Tommygun45, Dec 6, 2012

Also you need to change the shoot mode to remote.  I don't know what the name of the menu is but it's where you would choose Single Shot, Continuous, Bracket, etc.

 NikB747's gear list:NikB747's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BennyKingston
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
Re: Best way to get >30 sec exposure on 5n?
In reply to Tommygun45, Dec 6, 2012

How does the Sony remote work with the 5N? Where does the camera receive the signal?

Is the exposure time set from the remote?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tommygun45
Contributing MemberPosts: 990Gear list
Like?
Re: Best way to get >30 sec exposure on 5n?
In reply to BennyKingston, Dec 6, 2012

BennyKingston wrote:

How does the Sony remote work with the 5N? Where does the camera receive the signal?

Is the exposure time set from the remote?

there is an IR receiver on the front of the camera. If you are looking at the camera head on it is to the left side on the bulge of the protruding grip.

Exposure time is just however long you choose it to be without any doing from the remote. Press the button on the remote and the exposure begins. Press the button again and it ends... x number of seconds later.

I am sure the Sony remote would work, however I got one off of ebay shipped from China for $1.99 and it works wonderfully.

 Tommygun45's gear list:Tommygun45's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alpha604
Regular MemberPosts: 237Gear list
Like?
Been this way since the first NEX-5!
In reply to Tommygun45, Dec 7, 2012

Having the IR on the NEX5 made it the lowest NEX that could take commands from the IR remote!

Great for long exposure and not touching the camera.

 alpha604's gear list:alpha604's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX1R Sony RX100 II Nikon D3S Sony Alpha NEX-7 +51 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tsk1979
Senior MemberPosts: 1,021Gear list
Like?
DSLR remote on android is free
In reply to Mirakaski, Dec 7, 2012

It also does the same job.

However, I felt that having a 5$ tiny remote made better sense than use the smartphone. That said, I also made the IR emitter.

-- hide signature --

Tanveer
My galleries - http://tanveer.smugmug.com,
My photography page on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TanveersPhotography

 tsk1979's gear list:tsk1979's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mirakaski
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: DSLR remote on android is free
In reply to tsk1979, Dec 7, 2012

With DSLR.bot, you can do some pretty complicated scripts if you want to "speed up" or "slow down" your timelapse.  I have yet to use it, but have some ideas of how I would.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,635
Like?
Check Triggertrap for huge versatility
In reply to Tommygun45, Dec 7, 2012

This device is incredibly versatile and enables a some very sophisticated effects. Really solves the limited HDR bracketing on many Sony cameras as well.

Until end of year you get the app for free but need to buy the dongle. (Needs an iphone or later version Android phone plus a dongle on the camera). once you have one it appears that you can use it on most cameras

Check DPR news and this site for more on thie device

http://vimeo.com/40453214

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Elijah C Skuggs
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Re: Check Triggertrap for huge versatility
In reply to Mike Fewster, Dec 7, 2012

Mike Fewster wrote:

This device is incredibly versatile and enables a some very sophisticated effects. Really solves the limited HDR bracketing on many Sony cameras as well.

Until end of year you get the app for free but need to buy the dongle. (Needs an iphone or later version Android phone plus a dongle on the camera). once you have one it appears that you can use it on most cameras

Check DPR news and this site for more on thie device

http://vimeo.com/40453214

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Where do you find a Triggertrap dongle that is compatible with the NEX 5N?

I also use DSLr.bot with my iPad.  I spent about ten minutes making an IR piece, and paid 5$ for the app.  I did it because I was bored, and it worked decent enough for me to play with for a few minutes.  I have a few limitations at this point that I'm not sure can be remedied, including needing the IR placed nearly next to the front of the camera, and my headphone cord is like 4 inches long.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,635
Like?
Apologies
In reply to Elijah C Skuggs, Dec 8, 2012

Elijah C Skuggs wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

This device is incredibly versatile and enables a some very sophisticated effects. Really solves the limited HDR bracketing on many Sony cameras as well.

Until end of year you get the app for free but need to buy the dongle. (Needs an iphone or later version Android phone plus a dongle on the camera). once you have one it appears that you can use it on most cameras

Check DPR news and this site for more on thie device

http://vimeo.com/40453214

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Where do you find a Triggertrap dongle that is compatible with the NEX 5N?

I also use DSLr.bot with my iPad. I spent about ten minutes making an IR piece, and paid 5$ for the app. I did it because I was bored, and it worked decent enough for me to play with for a few minutes. I have a few limitations at this point that I'm not sure can be remedied, including needing the IR placed nearly next to the front of the camera, and my headphone cord is like 4 inches long.

I don't own one of these and was about to buy one. You are correct, it wont work on Nex5n

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads