You know its coming....Canon's copycat RX100

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions
mailman88
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,105Gear list
Like?
You know its coming....Canon's copycat RX100
Dec 5, 2012

.....Agressive Sony built the RX100 and everyone (competition) will catch-up in 2013.

I figure Canon is on drawing board right now to match Sony's RX100. Canon will trump the RX100, with the same spec's and...cheaper!

mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ddan
Contributing MemberPosts: 674
Like?
Re: You know its coming....Canon's copycat RX100
In reply to mailman88, Dec 5, 2012

I would be happy with a copy P7700!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,062Gear list
Like?
You know its here....Canon's apethy and lack of concern

mailman88 wrote:

.....Agressive Sony built the RX100 and everyone (competition) will catch-up in 2013.

I figure Canon is on drawing board right now to match Sony's RX100. Canon will trump the RX100, with the same spec's and...cheaper!

Let's face it: Canon do what they please, whenever they feel they have to do it.

Sony's RX100 was a ripoff of Canon's all-but -supernatural PowerShot s100. There's no mystery about it. Sony actually took to the Canon design and ran away with it. It's not like they pretended to come up with the design by themselves... and a LOT of websites pointed this out so don't blame me for biatching about Sony. Canon's s100 was already a super-camera in its own right. It is great in lowlight and has a good zoom range and focal length plus it's a little black camera that fits in your pocket and has a command dial plus a function ring around the lens base. All in all, Sony should really be ashamed at themselves. It's like copying someone else's homework and claiming it as your own. That said, the Canon image processor is still superior, as is the ergonomics of the menu. And the Sony image processor does a fine job of smearing all the fine details when the scene becomes too confusing for the sensor.

Sadly, Canon aren't lazy but they are both complacent and a little snobby. They will respond only to cameras that they see as legitimate threats. Even then, they'll only respond at their own pace and they NEVER try and cut another competitor off at the knees... even though I would... so don't expect something new to come crashing through the door next March. Their G1X is slightly larger but much better photographically than the RX100 and it produces far superior images.

The only camera that Canon should respond to is Sony's interesting (but limited) new camera called the RX1. This is a Full Frame sensor with a fixed 35mm lens. At $3000, this thing won't dent anyone's market but the yuppies and hipsters that want an expensive camera will buy one... though they won't appreciate the features (or lack of) on the camera. 35mm pictures can get boring if your albums are full of this particular focal length and nothing else.

Sony, as you note, is aggressive and is considered by some to be without morals when it comes to colluding with other companies and then running away with the patents and hard work of the staff from those companies. That's how the Sony PlayStation came about (after signing on to Nintendo to create a DVD drive for a gaming platform) and it's how Sony came into the Camera market (after buying up Konica/Minolta to obtain their patents). I say let em burn because all those new releases and short-term innovations are extremely costly and Sony are suffering financially by constantly paying big bucks to stay in the race.

Canon, unlike other companies, does not run to the party. They turn up late because it's fashionable and because it gives them a chance to move in after the ground work and market penetration has been established by their competitors. And it gives them a chance to strip off any features that might into other product sales of distract certain market demographics.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +6 more
MisterPootieCat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,045Gear list
Like?

mailman88 wrote:

Chasing the RX100? When I saw that the RX100 battery has to be charged in the camera via USB my first thought was: What R-tard came up with that idea. Personally, I think Sony is the one playing catch up. And at $650 a pop they face an uphill battle. Some will rush in and tell us the RX100 has a fast f1.8 lens and conveniently omit the fact it drops to f4.9 at the 100mm limit.

And the RX1 at $2800 a pop for a fixed focal length P&S? I'm sure the folks at Canon are rolling on the floor over that one. The 5D Mark III has been on sale for the same price!

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +19 more
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,696Gear list
Like?
In reply to MisterPootieCat, Dec 5, 2012

MisterPootieCat wrote:

mailman88 wrote:

Chasing the RX100? When I saw that the RX100 battery has to be charged in the camera via USB my first thought was: What R-tard came up with that idea. Personally, I think Sony is the one playing catch up. And at $650 a pop they face an uphill battle. Some will rush in and tell us the RX100 has a fast f1.8 lens and conveniently omit the fact it drops to f4.9 at the 100mm limit.

Doesn't the S100/110 drop to about f5.0 also?

In Australia the EX100 is only about an extra $AU100 more than the S110 especially the white one.  Apparently white paint costs a lot more than black paint here !!!

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
MisterPootieCat
Like?
In reply to brianj, Dec 5, 2012

brianj wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

mailman88 wrote:

The S100 drops to f5.9 at the long end, is wider at the short end (24mm vs 28mm), and currently available on Amazon for $250 new. The S110 sells for $400, still a deal compared to the RX100 at $650.

In Australia the EX100 is only about an extra $AU100 more than the S110 especially the white one. Apparently white paint costs a lot more than black paint here !!!

Brian

Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +19 more
brianj
Like?

MisterPootieCat wrote:

brianj wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

mailman88 wrote:

The S100 drops to f5.9 at the long end, is wider at the short end (24mm vs 28mm), and currently available on Amazon for $250 new. The S110 sells for $400, still a deal compared to the RX100 at $650.

The prices in Australia for the rip off canon gear are no where near as good as what you are showing when you compare retail stores prices for S110 and EX100.

Brian

MisterPootieCat
Like?

brianj wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

brianj wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

mailman88 wrote:

The prices in Australia for the rip off canon gear are no where near as good as what you are showing when you compare retail stores prices for S110 and EX100.

Probably right, I don't live down under. Retail stores are always higher, even in the US. Is Amazon available in Australia?

brianj
Like?

MisterPootieCat wrote:

brianj wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

brianj wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

mailman88 wrote:

Probably right, I don't live down under. Retail stores are always higher, even in the US. Is Amazon available in Australia?

Not that I am aware of.  Its been interesting to watch the black Friday specials etc that people are showing on the forums, I considered bying an S100 but they don't want to send them here and the workaround is a bit risky for me.

e.g the S110 is about $AU599 RRP when our $ is worth about US $1.04

see details here:  http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50339864

Brian

Schnapper
Contributing MemberPosts: 915
Like?

brianj wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

brianj wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

brianj wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

mailman88 wrote:

Not that I am aware of. Its been interesting to watch the black Friday specials etc that people are showing on the forums, I considered bying an S100 but they don't want to send them here and the workaround is a bit risky for me.

see details here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50339864

Brian

Discount Digital Photographic, just north of the harbour bridge in Sydney, has the (black) S110 for AUD$369.

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/categories/Digital-Compacts/

They have a pretty good brick and mortar store, with decent selection - lots of stuff packed into a pretty small area.  One of the few places in Australia where I would even consider buying camera gear due to the prices most places charge almost everywhere in Oz.

MisterPootieCat
Like?

brianj wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

brianj wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

brianj wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

mailman88 wrote:

Not that I am aware of. Its been interesting to watch the black Friday specials etc that people are showing on the forums, I considered bying an S100 but they don't want to send them here and the workaround is a bit risky for me.

see details here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/5033986

A check on Amazon suggests they will ship to Australia, but maybe the item has to purchased outside of your country? They mention customs and duty fees might apply. Do you know anyone living in another country? A friend or relative perhaps?

brianj
Like?

MisterPootieCat wrote:

brianj wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

brianj wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

brianj wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

mailman88 wrote:

see details here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/5033986

A check on Amazon suggests they will ship to Australia, but maybe the item has to purchased outside of your country? They mention customs and duty fees might apply. Do you know anyone living in another country? A friend or relative perhaps?

Its too much trouble, with the last attempt it also said it would ship to Australia, and when I got right to the last purchase screen it said it didn't ship there !!!

Brian

brianj
Like?
In reply to Schnapper, Dec 5, 2012

Schnapper wrote:

brianj wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

brianj wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

brianj wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

mailman88 wrote:

see details here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50339864

Brian

Discount Digital Photographic, just north of the harbour bridge in Sydney, has the (black) S110 for AUD$369.

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/categories/Digital-Compacts/

They have a pretty good brick and mortar store, with decent selection - lots of stuff packed into a pretty small area. One of the few places in Australia where I would even consider buying camera gear due to the prices most places charge almost everywhere in Oz.

That is a very good deal, the best I've seen here, and only $6 to ship at the moment.  Pity the white paint on the white one cost $46 more.  I guess they have been caught with insufficient stock of white ones so the price rises.

Brian

meland
Senior MemberPosts: 4,027
Like?
Re: You know its here....Canon's apethy and lack of concern
In reply to Marco Nero, Dec 5, 2012

Marco Nero wrote:

The only camera that Canon should respond to is Sony's interesting (but limited) new camera called the RX1. This is a Full Frame sensor with a fixed 35mm lens. At $3000, this thing won't dent anyone's market but the yuppies and hipsters that want an expensive camera will buy one... though they won't appreciate the features (or lack of) on the camera. 35mm pictures can get boring if your albums are full of this particular focal length and nothing else.

The RX1 is interesting but I'm not sure Canon would have any real desire to produce such a niche camera. Not at that price anyway.

I take your point about the 35mm focal length possibly getting a bit boring.  However for someone who likes that focal length and can really work with it (not me I hasten to add!) the actual content of the image rather than just a variety of shots at different focal lengths could be more important.

I suspect there are many who if you took their bag of exotic lenses away and just left them with one lens only, would produce better photographs - eventually.

Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,360Gear list
Like?
I do not think so

Canon has no need to match a fixed lens compact like the Sony RX.

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4
Schnapper
Contributing MemberPosts: 915
Like?

mailman88 wrote:

Well, if they're trying to copy the RX100 they have a head start on everyone else, because the RX100 did a good job of copying (but increasing the sensor size of) the S100... so Canon has the basic plans laid out already.

Gwen22
Contributing MemberPosts: 552
Like?
Re: You know its here....Canon's apethy and lack of concern
In reply to Marco Nero, Dec 5, 2012

Marco Nero wrote:

Let's face it: Canon do what they please, whenever they feel they have to do it.

Sony's RX100 was a ripoff of Canon's all-but -supernatural PowerShot s100. There's no mystery about it. Sony actually took to the Canon design and ran away with it. It's not like they pretended to come up with the design by themselves... and a LOT of websites pointed this out so don't blame me for biatching about Sony.

The slick design of the S100 was already around there since quite a long time , the Canon innovation was the introduction of the 1/1.7" sensor and the second (front) control ring. Sony copy that (as some other) that's clearly a good idea and as often when it is the case other manufacturer follow. The rest of the RX100 design is very very common.............

That said it is true that the 2 camera look quiet  similar.

Canon's s100 was already a super-camera in its own right. It is great in lowlight and has a good zoom range and focal length plus it's a little black camera that fits in your pocket and has a command dial plus a function ring around the lens base. All in all, Sony should really be ashamed at themselves. It's like copying someone else's homework and claiming it as your own.

I don't think Sony claim something about the design ?

I don't remind who was the first to introduce the four was controller (nikon?)but everybody use it now .....

Sony was the first to introduce 1/2.3" BSI sensor and Canon follow .................and as far as I know iterchangeable lens mirror less camera such the EOS M was not created by Canon , well once more when there is a good idea everybody follow and us a customer we have better product.

That said, the Canon image processor is still superior, as is the ergonomics of the menu. And the Sony image processor does a fine job of smearing all the fine details when the scene becomes too confusing for the sensor.

S100 is miles away behind the RX100 in term of IQ, by the way I do not see the point here.

Sadly, Canon aren't lazy but they are both complacent and a little snobby. They will respond only to cameras that they see as legitimate threats. Even then, they'll only respond at their own pace and they NEVER try and cut another competitor off at the knees... even though I would... so don't expect something new to come crashing through the door next March.

Why not a G2X ?

Their G1X is slightly larger

Twice bigger and heavier it is so big that Canon themself think that there is a room for a G15 wich is itself bigger than the RX100....

but much better photographically than the RX100 and it produces far superior images.

Better in low light that is true but in good light the RX100 with its better resolution and much better dynamic range is a better camera.............. even without speaking about the speed (AF , burst, lag and so on)

The RX1 is a very special camera I agree there is no need for Canon (or anyone else) to respond to it.

Sony, as you note, is aggressive and is considered by some to be without morals when it comes to colluding with other companies and then running away with the patents and hard work of the staff from those companies. That's how the Sony PlayStation came about (after signing on to Nintendo to create a DVD drive for a gaming platform) and it's how Sony came into the Camera market (after buying up Konica/Minolta to obtain their patents). I say let em burn because all those new releases and short-term innovations are extremely costly and Sony are suffering financially by constantly paying big bucks to stay in the race.

That's buisiness you really think there is Angel company in one side and immoral one in the other????? Canon buy "Cabasse" a french speaker manufacturer and do exactly what you discribe aboce......................

Canon, unlike other companies, does not run to the party. They turn up late because it's fashionable and because it gives them a chance to move in after the ground work and market penetration has been established by their competitors. And it gives them a chance to strip off any features that might into other product sales of distract certain market demographics.

Canon is exactly like the others , they are all there for buisness and money and that's normal!

cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,499Gear list
Like?
Canon

Practically invented the genre with the S90, then S95, then S100, then S110.

RX100 came out after the S100.

hmmm

2+2= 6?

Now all that aside...

If you pay attention to the camera market and its history much, you'll then realize that camera companies follow consumer demand, not each other. They are all "guilty" for making similar products to one another through history in order to be a viable company and make sales to those consumers.

It's a game of leap frog, not copycat dude.

http://www.photographic-central.blogspot.com
http://www.alphamountworld.com
http://www.slrgear.com
http://www.imaging-resource.com
http://dpreview.com

PaulRivers
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,414
Like?
Re: Canon
In reply to cgarrard, Dec 5, 2012

cgarrard wrote:

hmmm

2+2= 6?

Now all that aside...

If you pay attention to the camera market and its history much, you'll then realize that camera companies follow consumer demand, not each other. They are all "guilty" for making similar products to one another through history in order to be a viable company and make sales to those consumers.

Yeah, everybody copies everybody. I applaud anyone who comes out with something genuinely better than a previous model.

Lol, frankly...I kind of see it from the other perspective. The annoying thing about Canon is they come out with a model, then don't make it significantly better until someone else comes out with a better version. How long did the g-series have an f2.8 lens? Not until others now have f1.4 - did they finally come out with f2.0. In fact when there was no competition, they actually made the lens *worse* as back in the day it used to be f2.0 but they actually worsened it to f2.8 at some point. The s90 came out and had several flaws. Now they're up to the s110, and basically just very gradually fixed the flaws of the s90. Apparently the g15 finally has faster autofocus - but it wasn't until the lx5 and several other competitors came out with faster autofocus that Canon started to catch up.

The gx1 was a little innovative, but it's huge, bulky, slower than snails autofocus, poor macro distance...

When Canon comes out with a new model, it seems like the only way they improve on it significantly (other than just fixing ) after the first release is if someone else comes out with a competing model that leapfrogs it.

So - bravo for Sony! Leapfrogging a Canon product is the only way that Canon actually makes any significant improvements to a model...

PaulRivers
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,414
Like?
Re: Canon
In reply to cgarrard, Dec 5, 2012

cgarrard wrote:

hmmm

2+2= 6?

Now all that aside...

Not...exactly. Panasonic invented the genre with the lx3, the first *compact* to have an f2.0 lens. Canon leapfrogged them with the s90, significantly improving upon the lx3 by creating a similar camera in a noteably smaller (and far more jeans pocketable) body.

The s90 was a *significant* improvement - but it likely never would have happened if Panasonic had not taken that first step with the lx3.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads