Help picking memory cards for D7000

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions
asdferer
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Help picking memory cards for D7000
Dec 4, 2012

First of all, yes I have done the homework online and there are a whole bunch of threads on this topic. But based on what I have read, those information is kinda old. Memory card technologies have innovated so much since the release of D7000 tow years ago.

I need to pick two cards for my new D7000 and I'm now thinking about either SanDisk Ultra 30mb/s or SanDisk Extreme 45ms/s, both 10 class, 16GB.

My consideration is basically whether the D7000's capability matching with the newer and faster cards. It doesn't make sense to waste extra investment on super fast cards while the camera itself has constraints on transferring speed. Seems like there should be a perfect, or very close to that, match for both the camera and memory card to work together. But what is it?

Also it looks pretty clear that the  45mb/s extreme is a better choice than the 30mb/s ultra, but now BestBuy is having a special deal on the 30mb/s 16G for only $15.

To sum up, the performance has the priority. I want to avoid the speed constraint from either the camera and the memory card. While the price is one of the factors to consider, I do not want to sacrifice performance for that. Help me to choose.

BTW, the BestBuy deal ends today, so it's nice if I can get some response soon enough.

Thank you all.

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?
Re: Help picking memory cards for D7000
In reply to asdferer, Dec 4, 2012

I use 2 Sandisk 30 MB/s 16 GB cards in my D7K.  They work great.  I get about 750-800 shots per card, shooting 14-bit lossless RAW.

I don't know if you'd get any better performance with the 45 MB/s cards, I think the camera's write speed would be the bottleneck, but again, I'm not sure.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?

i just received a 32gb extreme 45/mbs UHS-I card, it's liked greased lightning in the D5100, the buffer clears very very quickly and it certainly helps with sequential shooting.

-- hide signature --

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
cdp8
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?

asdferer wrote:

First of all, yes I have done the homework online and there are a whole bunch of threads on this topic. But based on what I have read, those information is kinda old. Memory card technologies have innovated so much since the release of D7000 tow years ago.

I need to pick two cards for my new D7000 and I'm now thinking about either SanDisk Ultra 30mb/s or SanDisk Extreme 45ms/s, both 10 class, 16GB.

My consideration is basically whether the D7000's capability matching with the newer and faster cards. It doesn't make sense to waste extra investment on super fast cards while the camera itself has constraints on transferring speed. Seems like there should be a perfect, or very close to that, match for both the camera and memory card to work together. But what is it?

Also it looks pretty clear that the 45mb/s extreme is a better choice than the 30mb/s ultra, but now BestBuy is having a special deal on the 30mb/s 16G for only $15.

To sum up, the performance has the priority. I want to avoid the speed constraint from either the camera and the memory card. While the price is one of the factors to consider, I do not want to sacrifice performance for that. Help me to choose.

BTW, the BestBuy deal ends today, so it's nice if I can get some response soon enough.

Thank you all.

First, is your D7K's firmware updated to A: 1.0.2 / B:1.03 ? The firmware fixed a card error that would crop up intermitently.

I have used both types of cards. I had problems with the Ultras, but that went away after I updated the firmware. FWIW, I bought my D7K after the firmware update was released, but it shipped with the old version.

Though the D7K may have been released several years ago, card readers and computers have sped up in the mean time, so now I am using the Extremes. Is it any faster? I hope so, but I'n not going to run some controlled tests to find out.

Have you checked Amazon? I think the Ultras are $15 and the Extremes are only $18

asdferer
Like?
In reply to cdp8, Dec 4, 2012

cdp8 wrote:

asdferer wrote:

My consideration is basically whether the D7000's capability matching with the newer and faster cards. It doesn't make sense to waste extra investment on super fast cards while the camera itself has constraints on transferring speed. Seems like there should be a perfect, or very close to that, match for both the camera and memory card to work together. But what is it?

Also it looks pretty clear that the 45mb/s extreme is a better choice than the 30mb/s ultra, but now BestBuy is having a special deal on the 30mb/s 16G for only $15.

Thank you all.

First, is your D7K's firmware updated to A: 1.0.2 / B:1.03 ? The firmware fixed a card error that would crop up intermitently.

I have used both types of cards. I had problems with the Ultras, but that went away after I updated the firmware. FWIW, I bought my D7K after the firmware update was released, but it shipped with the old version.

Though the D7K may have been released several years ago, card readers and computers have sped up in the mean time, so now I am using the Extremes. Is it any faster? I hope so, but I'n not going to run some controlled tests to find out.

Have you checked Amazon? I think the Ultras are $15 and the Extremes are only $18

Thanks.

And yes, the camera came with the 1.02/1.03 firmware.

So hope the Ultra works.

I have noticed that Amazon and Ebay have very good deals. I just kind of neet to use it for my college graduation commencement this weekend (think you if you are saying congratulations and this camera is actually the graduation gift I purchased for myself), so I can't wait for the delivery but instead need to pick up something in local store. I think I will but a few more memory cards later online as I figure out what kind works best.

crs-collectibles
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?
In reply to asdferer, Dec 5, 2012

asdferer wrote:

cdp8 wrote:

asdferer wrote:

Thank you all.

Thanks.

And yes, the camera came with the 1.02/1.03 firmware.

So hope the Ultra works.

I have noticed that Amazon and Ebay have very good deals. I just kind of neet to use it for my college graduation commencement this weekend (think you if you are saying congratulations and this camera is actually the graduation gift I purchased for myself), so I can't wait for the delivery but instead need to pick up something in local store. I think I will but a few more memory cards later online as I figure out what kind works best.

I use SanDisk Ultra class 10 30 mb/s and am very happy with them. I haven't tried faster speed ones but don't seem to have the need for it. Also since I save both RAW and Jpg, I put different size cards in the slots. 16gb for raw and 8 gb for jpg.

jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,796Gear list
Like?
In reply to asdferer, Dec 5, 2012

asdferer wrote:

Thank you all.

I switched from the 30mbs to the 45mbs cards because the extras speed clears the camera's buffer faster, and makes reviewing and downloading images faster.  It;s not a big difference, but it is noticeable to me. Tests have shown that any card faster than 45 MBS will not improve performance of the D7000.

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
asdferer
Like?
Thank you all, I'll go ahead place an order for 45MB/s extreme
In reply to jonikon, Dec 5, 2012
asdferer
Like?
Follow up question
In reply to crs-collectibles, Dec 5, 2012

That's in fact the other question I have about memory cards for D7000

Should I used a bigger size memory card for RAW and videos than the one for JPEGs?

It does make sense since WAR and videos will occupy more space, but I've barely heard people talk about it.

I'm considering a 16GB and a 32GB.

Would you suggest 8GB and 16GB for faster speed as the smaller size ones run faster? Maybe it's just a rumor?

hrogersiii
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
In reply to asdferer, Dec 6, 2012

I also uset the Sandisk 32GB cards and they work well.

I agree with several of the posters here and as someone who shoots a lot of football with the D7000, I have had personal experience with this camera not being able to write to the card fast enough. I would not recommend spending the extra $ on faster cards for this body.

Hope this helps.

Harry Rogers

scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?
In reply to hrogersiii, Dec 6, 2012

hrogersiii wrote:

I also uset the Sandisk 32GB cards and they work well.

I agree with several of the posters here and as someone who shoots a lot of football with the D7000, I have had personal experience with this camera not being able to write to the card fast enough. I would not recommend spending the extra $ on faster cards for this body.

Hope this helps.

Harry Rogers

As cheap as cards are now shouldn't spend a lot of time thinking about it.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads