Running or similar photography with Nex-7??

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 14,038Gear list
Like?
re: indeed, MF aproach does work, but... ONLY if one is interested in 1-2 shots...
In reply to Mike Fewster, Dec 5, 2012

Mike Fewster wrote:

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

For street candid fast shooting, a Nex isn't the best choice, but for predictable sports like running?? How did those sports photographers of years gone by without autofocus do it? The same way you can. Just prefocus to the point you know they will be crossing. A subject like running is pretty straightforward. You ought to be able to do much much better than 80% accurate.

I used to do that before autofocus appeared and it worked great for one or two shots, now though it's a different matter

In what way is it different now? Same technique still works just fine.

...of a runner, for anything more (unless one is exceptionally nimble with their eye to brain to hand coordination, good enough to shorten FD quickly) it is bound to fail - for me it fails even with moderately fast pacing pedestrians at focusing distances shorten than a certain threshold (this is also a function of FL used, of course - much exacerbated if one likes/wants to shoot predominantly wide open, which is not much of a problem with a good/accurate AF = sadly, NOT a case of NEX'es)

jpr2

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,012
Like?
Re: re: indeed, MF aproach does work, but... ONLY if one is interested in 1-2 shots...
In reply to jpr2, Dec 5, 2012

jpr2 wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

For street candid fast shooting, a Nex isn't the best choice, but for predictable sports like running?? How did those sports photographers of years gone by without autofocus do it? The same way you can. Just prefocus to the point you know they will be crossing. A subject like running is pretty straightforward. You ought to be able to do much much better than 80% accurate.

I used to do that before autofocus appeared and it worked great for one or two shots, now though it's a different matter

...of a runner, for anything more (unless one is exceptionally nimble with their eye to brain to hand coordination, good enough to shorten FD quickly) it is bound to fail - for me it fails even with moderately fast pacing pedestrians at focusing distances shorten than a certain threshold (this is also a function of FL used, of course - much exacerbated if one likes/wants to shoot predominantly wide open, which is not much of a problem with a good/accurate AF = sadly, NOT a case of NEX'es)

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 14,038Gear list
Like?
Mike: ???? (n/t)

jpr2

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 11,038Gear list
Like?
Re: Running or similar photography with Nex-7??
In reply to Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee, Dec 5, 2012

I do a lot of running photography with my big heavy Canon system and it's great for that.

This weekend I'm going to Budapest as my daughter is running in a big championship.

It would suit me much more to bring my nex-7 with me. I've a newly acquired 50mm f1.8 for it.

Has anyone identified settings which suit this kind of photography with the Nex-7??

With the Canon I can get about 80% of shots in sharp focus..

Olympus EM5 would be a lighter best bet...

The 75mm f/1.8 would work? Don't know what distance you are working with...or the 100-300 Panansonic and EM5...

Nex series not so great at sports, doable, but many OOF shots and slow lens...

EM5 100-300:

http://acwilli.smugmug.com/Other/EM5-Soccer/26075379_rQM7BB

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/sets/72157630555728944/

Nex-7 55-210:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/sets/72157629505116065/

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,873Gear list
Like?
Re: C'mon, just learn some basic technique

Mike Fewster wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

It does but you can't follow focus as you can with a modern camera..

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +25 more
Like?
What I wanted to know was..
In reply to LTZ470, Dec 5, 2012

had anyone worked out a setting combination which enabled one to shoot keeping the subject(s) in focus. It appears not.

The continuous AF with the 50 f1.8 which I was trying this morning just hunts back and forth at infinity. It probably would be better with Single AF...

Going to lug my Canon with a big lens...

Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +25 more
Boris
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,254Gear list
Like?

Bring your canon gear...the Nex 7 can barely C-AF my moving dog.

Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Kodak DCS Pro 14n +39 more
verybiglebowski
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,313Gear list
Like?
Re: What I wanted to know was..

had anyone worked out a setting combination which enabled one to shoot keeping the subject(s) in focus. It appears not.

The continuous AF with the 50 f1.8 which I was trying this morning just hunts back and forth at infinity. It probably would be better with Single AF...

For described situation, you will get much better results with a Canon 1D M IV without a doubt. But with some training, you can obtain acceptable results with NEX 7 too. Significatntly lower keepers rate, is to be expected from the native of a CD based AF.

I did some tests while ago when I compared NEX 7 with Samsung NX 200, in a very difficult lighting conditions, so if you are interested you can check them here:

http://verybiglobo.blogspot.cz/2012/01/samsung-nx200-vs-sony-nex-7-sport.html

and using MF lenses here:

http://verybiglobo.blogspot.cz/2012/02/samsung-nx200-vs-sony-nex-7-sport-mf.html

Obviously, tennis involve different kind of subject movements with a less - straight to the camera, but more erratic movement. For the running, I would suggest using MF and pre focusing to the area where you expect your subject to come, in a combination with a fast burst drive. Considering distance, FL and resulting DOF, and shutter speed of 1/500s and faster, you should be able to get 1-2 sharp shots out of 10.

Out of curiosity, I would also try face detection mode, with a tracking engaged, if you pre-register yours daughter face, just to see what the camera will do to identify her in the group.

You might take your NEX 7 as a backup anyway and give it a try. I guess we would all like to see the result.

uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,346
Like?
In reply to Boris, Dec 5, 2012

It appears that the contents around here has a very short life. No one has mentioned the work of  El Matadurr, so just click his name and see what he can do with the NEX in close-up fast sports. Earlier than his latest basketball pics he described his skillset for football etc etc.

It can be learned easily from him, but not in 2 weeks for your daughter's so important run in B.

Good luck then lugging the Cannon (pun intended) as your only alternative. And as yoiu gat beck, study El Matadurr if you want to shed weight. Good luck!

Like?
In reply to verybiglebowski, Dec 5, 2012

verybiglebowski wrote:

For described situation, you will get much better results with a Canon 1D M IV without a doubt. But with some training, you can obtain acceptable results with NEX 7 too. Significatntly lower keepers rate, is to be expected from the native of a CD based AF.

I did some tests while ago when I compared NEX 7 with Samsung NX 200, in a very difficult lighting conditions, so if you are interested you can check them here:

http://verybiglobo.blogspot.cz/2012/01/samsung-nx200-vs-sony-nex-7-sport.html

and using MF lenses here:

http://verybiglobo.blogspot.cz/2012/02/samsung-nx200-vs-sony-nex-7-sport-mf.html

Obviously, tennis involve different kind of subject movements with a less - straight to the camera, but more erratic movement. For the running, I would suggest using MF and pre focusing to the area where you expect your subject to come, in a combination with a fast burst drive. Considering distance, FL and resulting DOF, and shutter speed of 1/500s and faster, you should be able to get 1-2 sharp shots out of 10.

Out of curiosity, I would also try face detection mode, with a tracking engaged, if you pre-register yours daughter face, just to see what the camera will do to identify her in the group.

You might take your NEX 7 as a backup anyway and give it a try. I guess we would all like to see the result.

Read that. Very interesting (the comparison)

Don't have enough room to bring both cameras but I'll try the Sony when I come home!

-- hide signature --

Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh (Irish Gaelic)
A good word never broke a tooth.

LTZ470
Like?

Check these out...the EM5 C-AF does work and not too bad at all...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3222529

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/42081805

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

verybiglebowski
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,313Gear list
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, Dec 5, 2012

LTZ470 wrote:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

They looks great, but that were at f7.1 and shutter speeds well above 1/1000s. If the photographer know what he is doing, and that guy seems to know it well, DOF is big enough to compensate for a small lag that comes between focus confirmation and exposure.

EM5 is reported to have very fast C-AF but still only C-AF. We will see, how the implementation of PDAF on sensor in MILC cameras evolves in the future, but so far when I am about to shot some fast movement (not too often), I would stick with my DSLR's.

LTZ470
Like?
In reply to verybiglebowski, Dec 5, 2012

verybiglebowski wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

They looks great, but that were at f7.1 and shutter speeds well above 1/1000s. If the photographer know what he is doing, and that guy seems to know it well, DOF is big enough to compensate for a small lag that comes between focus confirmation and exposure.

EM5 is reported to have very fast C-AF but still only C-AF. We will see, how the implementation of PDAF on sensor in MILC cameras evolves in the future, but so far when I am about to shot some fast movement (not too often), I would stick with my DSLR's.

Agreed he was at ISO 800 as well...would love to see how well the Nex-6 could do this?...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

mlf123
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
In reply to Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee, Dec 9, 2012

Well done to Lizzie on the brilliant performance...where would you be going with a Sony?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads