Running or similar photography with Nex-7??

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee Veteran Member • Posts: 6,060
Running or similar photography with Nex-7??

I do a lot of running photography with my big heavy Canon system and it's great for that.

This weekend I'm going to Budapest as my daughter is running in a big championship.

It would suit me much more to bring my nex-7 with me. I've a newly acquired 50mm f1.8 for it.

Has anyone identified settings which suit this kind of photography with the Nex-7??

With the Canon I can get about 80% of shots in sharp focus..

 Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony Alpha NEX-7 +25 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
relate2 Contributing Member • Posts: 930
Re: Running or similar photography with Nex-7??

If you have enough light you could substitute this bird shot for someone running. If there was less light the 1.8 could still give you pretty high shutter speed if you increase the ISO.

I used my 24mm 1.8, I had the camera set to centre focus, shutter priority of 2000th/sec, 100 ISO.

I saw the bird coming, centred it in the middle of the frame followed it and hit the shutter button, no pre-focus.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee OP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,060
Re: Running or similar photography with Nex-7??

What I'm interested in, though is getting a sequence where most shots of runners coming at me, are in focus. Have you dont something like that?

 Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony Alpha NEX-7 +25 more
relate2 Contributing Member • Posts: 930
Re: Running or similar photography with Nex-7??

As long as the runners are not sprinting I think the NEX-7's continuous focus could work for you.

Here are three shots I took, using continuous focus mode, of a seagull taking off from in front of me flying towards me and to my left. I think a pretty tough test for the continuous focus mode.

I just hit the shutter button as soon as I saw the seagull was about to take off and followed it as best I could. The 3rd photo the bird was very close to me and I think I was moving the camera too fast for the 1/1250th/sec shutter speed to get a clear photo.

I used F9 aperture to maximize the depth of field.

Honestly if it is a special occasion with your daughter's running I would be experimenting like mad to make sure on the day you know what settings will work for you.

jerrysdean43 Contributing Member • Posts: 715
Re: Running or similar photography with Nex-7??

I take photos of races frequently and I totally recommend to use a DSLR if you want to focus and track a runner.  I use my old Olympus E 510 for this and it works great.

See here:

http://jerrysdean43.zenfolio.com/p484427173

flint-hill Senior Member • Posts: 1,215
Re: Running or similar photography with Nex-7??

I'd take the Canon and practice on some less important race. If you want to take a flyer, I'd recommend sports action (SA) mode, even if you normally use more "photographerly" modes for this kind of work.  With running animals use either manual prefocus or SA.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flint-hill

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee OP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,060
Re: Running or similar photography with Nex-7??

I'm completely practiced with the Canon. I've taken tens of thousands of running photos with it. 1Div with various lenses. It's just the bulk and weight...

I think I'll have to take it, but if it's dry tomorrow and I can find some runners, I'll try out the Nex. I know already, because I've tried, that the multiple AF points works badly on it, as indeed they do on the Canon 1Div.

-- hide signature --

Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh (Irish Gaelic)
A good word never broke a tooth.

 Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony Alpha NEX-7 +25 more
mlf123 Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: Running or similar photography with Nex-7??

If completely practised means you nail all your running pictures, or a reasonable percentage, then have a go with the new kit.  If this is not the case, then I have no idea why you are asking the question?  Unless you feel you can do as well with the Nex system?  Then I am still confused?  Like I said to you before, I am easily confused.

Old Pirate Senior Member • Posts: 1,432
Re: Running or similar photography with Nex-7??

I found that using a manual lens like the 135 2.8 Minolta and focus peaking you can do a pretty decent job with moving things.



Chasing a bit of a cracker thrown by someone.



Just pick one out and shoot him.  NEX 7, Minolta manual lens using the power of yellow peaking..

 Old Pirate's gear list:Old Pirate's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +9 more
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee OP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,060
Re: Running or similar photography with Nex-7??

mlf123 wrote:

If completely practised means you nail all your running pictures, or a reasonable percentage, then have a go with the new kit. If this is not the case, then I have no idea why you are asking the question? Unless you feel you can do as well with the Nex system? Then I am still confused? Like I said to you before, I am easily confused.

Size weight flight foreign city and fear of being mugged!

-- hide signature --

Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh (Irish Gaelic)
A good word never broke a tooth.

 Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony Alpha NEX-7 +25 more
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,137
Re: Running or similar photography with Nex-7??

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

What I'm interested in, though is getting a sequence where most shots of runners coming at me, are in focus. Have you dont something like that?

NEX is not going to be good at that at all. You might get the first shot in focus. The benefit with the NEX 7 is that it has short shutter lag in electronic first curtain shutter mode, this means your runner shouldn't get too much time to move before the camera takes the image.

If you have both cameras try them with a couple runners and see if it will work or not, but I am guessing the NEX is not going to do well for your situation.  The NEX 6 should be better with the hybrid focus, but I have yet to see a good sequence of a runner or something with that camera.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

 viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,710
re: only if you want to be [pretty badly] disappointed...

...like yourself I've taken tens of thousands (indeed at about 70% keeper rate) with various EF longer lenses and 7d, but this is simply NOT possible to repeat with N7; there was a very similar thread recently (and about much less ambitious moving target) 55-210 and its inablity to trace advancing walker

jpr2

Richard Ettinger Senior Member • Posts: 1,309
Re: Running or similar photography with Nex-7??

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

I do a lot of running photography with my big heavy Canon system and it's great for that.

This weekend I'm going to Budapest as my daughter is running in a big championship.

It would suit me much more to bring my nex-7 with me. I've a newly acquired 50mm f1.8 for it.

Has anyone identified settings which suit this kind of photography with the Nex-7??

With the Canon I can get about 80% of shots in sharp focus..

YOu can make this work if you know how to use manual focus and stop down to f8 or lower. you'll need to figure out what area you want in focus and then manually dial that in and lock it.

Don't auto anything.

-- hide signature --

Canon 40D. Canon 50mm f1.4, canon 135mm 2.8/soft focus, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 24-105L. Sony Nex-7.

 Richard Ettinger's gear list:Richard Ettinger's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 II Sony Alpha 7R II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH +7 more
relate2 Contributing Member • Posts: 930
Re: re: only if you want to be [pretty badly] disappointed...

jpr2 wrote:

...like yourself I've taken tens of thousands (indeed at about 70% keeper rate) with various EF longer lenses and 7d, but this is simply NOT possible to repeat with N7; there was a very similar thread recently (and about much less ambitious moving target) 55-210 and its inablity to trace advancing walker

jpr2

~

A 55-210 lens at 210mm and ISO 800 and  the shooter complains of mushy eyes at 100% crop.

"There's the problem"

jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,710
re: SEL 55-210 MTFs are not as bad as to be dismal

relate2 wrote:

A 55-210 lens at 210mm and ISO 800 and the shooter complains of mushy eyes at 100% crop.

"There's the problem"

I assume you must be joking, no? the main problem with soft picts. of that walking gal of Sean was inadequate CDAF speed. PZ report on the SEL 55-210 doesn't show it to be stellar, but it isn't catastrophic either, as we can see (on N7):

http://www.photozone.de/sony_nex/729-sony55210f4563nex?start=1

jpr2

Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 11,634
Re: Running or similar photography with Nex-7??

relate2 wrote:

This is a pretty cool photo. Unique and a little crazy, like it a lot.

Thank you
Russell

Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 5,469
C'mon, just learn some basic technique

For street candid fast shooting, a Nex isn't the best choice, but for predictable sports like running?? How did those sports photographers of years gone by without autofocus do it? The same way you can. Just prefocus to the point you know they will be crossing. A subject like running is pretty straightforward. You ought to be able to do much much better than 80% accurate.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

 Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1
Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 5,469
Exactly so

Richard Ettinger wrote:

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

I do a lot of running photography with my big heavy Canon system and it's great for that.

This weekend I'm going to Budapest as my daughter is running in a big championship.

It would suit me much more to bring my nex-7 with me. I've a newly acquired 50mm f1.8 for it.

Has anyone identified settings which suit this kind of photography with the Nex-7??

With the Canon I can get about 80% of shots in sharp focus..

YOu can make this work if you know how to use manual focus and stop down to f8 or lower. you'll need to figure out what area you want in focus and then manually dial that in and lock it.

Don't auto anything.

-- hide signature --

Canon 40D. Canon 50mm f1.4, canon 135mm 2.8/soft focus, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 24-105L. Sony Nex-7.

Sorry Richard, I gave a similar reply and hadn't read your earlier response. And you can also use auto focus by prefocusing to your chosen point. By picking the point in advance, the photographer usually gets better shots as the point can be chosen with composition in mind.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

 Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee OP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,060
Re: C'mon, just learn some basic technique

Mike Fewster wrote:


For street candid fast shooting, a Nex isn't the best choice, but for predictable sports like running?? How did those sports photographers of years gone by without autofocus do it? The same way you can. Just prefocus to the point you know they will be crossing. A subject like running is pretty straightforward. You ought to be able to do much much better than 80% accurate.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

I used to do that before autofocus appeared and it worked great for one or two shots, now though it's a different matter..

-- hide signature --

Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh (Irish Gaelic)
A good word never broke a tooth.

 Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony Alpha NEX-7 +25 more
Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 5,469
Re: C'mon, just learn some basic technique

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:


For street candid fast shooting, a Nex isn't the best choice, but for predictable sports like running?? How did those sports photographers of years gone by without autofocus do it? The same way you can. Just prefocus to the point you know they will be crossing. A subject like running is pretty straightforward. You ought to be able to do much much better than 80% accurate.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

I used to do that before autofocus appeared and it worked great for one or two shots, now though it's a different matter

In what way is it different now? Same technique still works just fine.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

 Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads