My 1st build, need help...

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions
medcapt
Regular MemberPosts: 220Gear list
Like?
My 1st build, need help...
Dec 3, 2012

This is my first build, so I am confused on where to plugs things in. I will be photo and video editing with this build. First this is what I have as far as “parts”

Motherboard……….. ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE LGA 1155

SSD…..Crucial 256 GB m42.5-Inch Solid State Drive

HD X 2 …….Western Digital Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive

I want to set up the two WD HD’s in a Raid config. And use the SSD for PS, Lr4, and premier along with my OS and other programs.

On the MBO it has

2 Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s connectors (navy blue)

2 Intel Z77 Serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s connectors (gray)

4 Intel Z77 Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s connectors (blue)

I keep reading the user guide but I am not sure how to hook up my stuff.

Thanks for the help….

medcapt's gear list:medcapt's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Casio Exilim EX-Z77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bob Collette
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,702Gear list
Like?
Re: My 1st build, need help...
In reply to medcapt, Dec 4, 2012

I've read that there can be compatibility issues with the Marvell controller and SSD's, so I would suggest connecting the SSD to one of the Intel 6Gb/s controllers (gray).  You could connect the two hard drives to either the Marvell controller (navy blue) or the Intel 3Gb/s controller (blue).  Since hard drives don't have the sustained transfer rate of an SSD, you probably won't see much real world difference between the two controllers, particularly if running a RAID 1 array.  If running RAID 0, I would try the Marvell controller first.

Bob Collette's gear list:Bob Collette's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
medcapt
Like?
In reply to Bob Collette, Dec 4, 2012

Raid 1 is where one disk mirrors the other, correct.

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Bob Collette
Like?

You are correct.  RAID 1 gives you redundancy.  If one drive fails, the other drive keeps the array alive because the identical data is stored on both drives.  It also gives you a slight boost in read speed since the data can be read from both drives, thus reducing latency (if the controller supports it).  Note however, that while RAID 1 will protect against a drive failure, it is not a substitute for backing up your data.  There are other ways besides drive failure, in which data can be lost.  These include carelessness (accidentally delete files), viruses, and hardware failure (e.g. power supply loses regulation and fries both hard drives).

medcapt
Like?

With this set up I will be doing regular back-ups weekly with an external HD. Is this the way to go with this set up and my photo editing?

Bob Collette
Like?

I'm not sure what you're asking.  If you're asking which RAID version you should use (0 or 1), it depends upon how important it is to have redundancy (protect against a drive failure).  RAID 0 will give you double the capacity and faster speed (data is alternatively written between the two drives), however if either drive fails, all the data is lost.  There are advantages & disadvantages to both schemes.

medcapt
Like?

What if I forgot the Raid set up altogether and just backed up every night.

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,699
Like?

medcapt wrote:

What if I forgot the Raid set up altogether and just backed up every night.

Great idea

Seriously, RAID is more useful in data centers than it is in home settings. Implementing RAID without doing a lot of study will likely get you into more trouble than it's worth.

Bob Collette
Like?

Wouldn't be a bad idea.  You could run a script to automatically backup from one drive to the other every night and backup to an external drive once a week.

medcapt
Like?

Bob Collette wrote:

Wouldn't be a bad idea. You could run a script to automatically backup from one drive to the other every night and backup to an external drive once a week.

Thanks for your time, when I talk with knowledgeable people about this stuff it ends up making sense to me. I think that's what I will endup doing. Would you change the way I hook my HD's or SSD up to my MOB?

Bob Collette
Like?

You could leave the hookup the same.  The only thing you might want to do different would be to connect the hard drives to the Marvell controller.  In reality, you probably won't detect a difference in overall speed whether the hard drives are connected to the Intel 3Gb/s controller or the Marvell 6Gb/s controller.  I would definitely connect the SSD to the Intel 6Gb/s controller.  The SSD is fast enough so that you will see a difference between a 3 & 6 Gb/s controller.

medcapt
Like?

Thanks again, I might have a few questions later as I get further along with this build...

MrScary
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,199Gear list
Like?
In reply to medcapt, Dec 6, 2012

If like me you prefer to backup each night or as needed, then try this Great little program..Will do increments as well. "Karen's Replicator" BRILLIANT Program..FREE!

-- hide signature --
 MrScary's gear list:MrScary's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Epson Stylus Photo R3000
offroadcmpr
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?
In reply to MrScary, Dec 6, 2012

I have been using a program made by Microsoft called SyncToy to back up pictures and music.  It basically just replicates changes and files from one folder to another. So that way only the new pictures are transferred.

I believe you can set it up as a scheduled task to run whenever you want it to.

Not the best if you want system images and such, but if you just want to back up specific folders it works well.

digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,963Gear list
Like?
In reply to medcapt, Dec 6, 2012

Worth taking a look at:

AllwaySync

It is free and I have been using it for a few years to move files from my PCs to my server. Detects new and changed files for synchronization. Jobs can be set up to synchronize both ways.

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads