Adobe PS Lightroom

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions
BILLY 0F THE NORTH
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?
Adobe PS Lightroom
Dec 3, 2012

Is PS Lightroom 4 just a way to process and cataloge photos. I notice that there is no save to option button only an export option. Does this mean that once the images are processed they are to be exported to a editing program to save?

-- hide signature --

Bill Romer

BILLY 0F THE NORTH's gear list:BILLY 0F THE NORTH's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +1 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,496Gear list
Like?
Re: Adobe PS Lightroom
In reply to BILLY 0F THE NORTH, Dec 3, 2012

BILLY 0F THE NORTH wrote:

Is PS Lightroom 4 just a way to process and cataloge photos. I notice that there is no save to option button only an export option. Does this mean that once the images are processed they are to be exported to a editing program to save?

-- hide signature --

Bill Romer

Essentially that's correct.  The adjustments you make are actually saved in a separate file; if you want to create a copy of the photo with the adjustments applied you export it to another file and you choose what type of file that is, as well as making other choices during the export such as resizing and compression rate.

I export to another folder within the same folder where the original resides so it's easy to find.  How I export depends on how it is to be used.  I export a small jpg for Facebook, whereas I'll export a full-size version for printing from Qimage.  If I'm exporting for further editing in PS, I'll export a tiff.  If I'm going to Photomatix for HDR processing, I use the plug-in so an intermediate file isn't necessary.

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,647Gear list
Like?

Lightroom is a "non-destructive editor".  That is does not make any changes to the image file itself, it only saves details of the edits that you wish to make in its catalog (database).  These edit details are saved automatically as you make them.  If you want to "undo" or alter one of the edits, you can do this at any time in the future.

If you need to use an image file in a different application, e.g. to post to the web, to attach to an e-mail, to print in an external print program or to carry out more advanced editing in something like PSE or CS6, then you can create a new file with all the current edits applied by "Exporting" the file from Lightroom.  The "Export" can be a JPEG, TIFF or PSD file.  (I normally delete these files when I have used since since I can always "re-export" them in the future if I need them again.)

If you are just reviewing the files on the screen in LR or printing them from LR there is no need to create a new file with the edits applied.  The edits are always applied to the on-screen image and a temporary edited image file will be created when you print from LR.

You can save a particular edit state within LR by creating a "snapshot" or "virtual image".  Snapshots are useful if you want to get back to a particular edit state.  Virtual images are useful if you want to work on two different versions of the same image at the same time, e.g. one in colour and the other in B&W.

I hope that this helps.  The non-destructive editing workflow is a little difficult to understand if you are only used to PhotoShop workflow.  It has the enormous advantage that you only have to permanently save your original image files and the LT catalog.  You don't finish up with multiple versions of the same image file as you tend to do when when using PhotoShop.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Paul Bridge
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?

No it doesn't.

Lightroom is pretty brilliant. It stores and organises your pictures and allows a great variety of different ways of classing them by your assessment, tags, metadata etc. You can create collections, sets of collections and smart collections which search your entire catalogue of shots.

Any editing work you do is non-destructive: that is Lightroom stores the original image and stores in a database the changes you made, so when you view or print its the shot plus changes that you see. If you export it also carries the changes: BUT here's the genius because the editing is non-destructive its very easy to make a virtual copy of your image inside Lightroom and treat it an entirely different way and because of the way the programme remembers the work you did - ie as data not a copy image - it doesn't take twice the disk space, and you don't have to keep track of renaming copies etc.

Personally I think Lightroom is a great programme its very photographic rather than having the graphic emphasis of programmes like photoshop.

Also right now its price is a bargain

BILLY 0F THE NORTH
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chris R-UK, Dec 3, 2012
-- hide signature --

Thanks...I that is what I needed to know
Bill Romer

BILLY 0F THE NORTH's gear list:BILLY 0F THE NORTH's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +1 more
teddoman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,341Gear list
Like?
In reply to Paul Bridge, Dec 3, 2012

Does Lightroom support tagging like name tags that are saved to exif data? This is one new feature of Picasa 3.9 that I've really started to like. Name tags are not just saved to the Picasa database but it actually added to one of the exif fields. So now I'll never forget who the people in photos are.

teddoman's gear list:teddoman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +15 more
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,647Gear list
Like?
In reply to teddoman, Dec 3, 2012

Yes, LR writes tags (called keywords in LR) to the relevant EXIF field (it might actually be an IPTC field) when a file is "exported".  You can also export the tags with raw files.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads