First flash: MeiKe or Yongnuo?

Started Dec 2, 2012 | Questions
ap2757
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
First flash: MeiKe or Yongnuo?
Dec 2, 2012

I'm a high school student and photography is my hobby. I just recently got a Nikon D7000 and I am looking into a flash. There's no way I can afford a Nikon-brand flash, and I had read some good things about the MeiKe Speedlight MK900 and Yongnuo YN-568EX. Anyone have any insight on which one is best? I would probably be using it mostly for portrait shots, but experimenting with it, too.

Again, photography is a hobby, not my profession. I am just looking for something to get my foot in the door of flash photography.

Thank you so much for any insight and help!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,823Gear list
Like?
Re: First flash: MeiKe or Yongnuo?
In reply to ap2757, Dec 3, 2012

I have no information about the MeiKe Speedlight MK900 but the Yongnuo hot-shoe flash units are pretty well documented and reviewed.  Check David Hobby's Strobist blog for lots of information on them.  Don't forget the YN-468II is also available for Nikon's now so it is a possible lower cost choice.

Strobist - David Hobby's Site

Speedlights.net | Yongnuo YN-468II E-TTL Speedlite Flash “Mark 2″ (Equiv 430EX II)

Speedlights.net | Yongnuo YN-565 EX Flash Review (E-TTL Flash)

Another good choice is a used Nikon flash, especially now that the SB900 has been discontinued.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Footski
Footski MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,524Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Dec 5, 2012

The Meike is a clone of Nikon's SB900 and as such is feature packed. I have a Yongnuo manual gun and am very happy with it,but will be buying the Meike shortly. In your shoes, I would not hesitate  buy the Meike.

Footski's gear list:Footski's gear list
Leica V-Lux 4 Nikon D7000 Fujifilm MX-700 Fujifilm FinePix F601 Zoom Samsung NV10 +15 more
Arved
Senior MemberPosts: 1,395
Like?
In reply to Footski, May 8, 2013

Footski wrote:

The Meike is a clone of Nikon's SB900 and as such is feature packed. I have a Yongnuo manual gun and am very happy with it,but will be buying the Meike shortly. In your shoes, I would not hesitate  buy the Meike.

If you bought the Meike MK-900, as you said you were, I'm very curious about your findings. I've found very little written about this flash.

The fact that it looks and operates so much like the SB-900/910 is a huge plus for me. I love the off-on-master-remote switch rather than having to go through menus, and the price is right (compared to other Chinese flash of similar capabilities).

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

- Arved
'Highlights next to shadows to create detail, depth, dimension and added color saturation.' - David Ziser

Footski
Footski MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,524Gear list
Like?
In reply to Arved, May 9, 2013

So sorry, but the purchase had to be put on hold. I still do plan on buying it though, probably later this summer......I hope!

Footski's gear list:Footski's gear list
Leica V-Lux 4 Nikon D7000 Fujifilm MX-700 Fujifilm FinePix F601 Zoom Samsung NV10 +15 more
Arved
Senior MemberPosts: 1,395
Like?
In reply to Footski, May 9, 2013

Sorry the purchase had to be put off. Hopefully Meike will have upgraded the flash with HSS by then That's a feature I've avoided with my SB-900 (and the SB-800 before then), so it's not a feature that's very important to me, and thus, the MK-900 is a $165 alternative to the ~$400 SB-910 in growing my "Speedlight Herd."

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

- Arved
'Highlights next to shadows to create detail, depth, dimension and added color saturation.' - David Ziser

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads