a77 raw on windows 8

Started Dec 2, 2012 | Discussions
Hughesnet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,024Gear list
Like?
a77 raw on windows 8
Dec 2, 2012

I can't get my a77 raw files to work in windows explorer or native photo app in windows 8. I installed the windows 8 codec pack and no joy. Noticed it didn't list the a77 in any case. Anyone have a fix for this? I can of course see then in adobe but want to see them in native windows 8 explorer and the photos app.

Hughesnet's gear list:Hughesnet's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rashkae
Senior MemberPosts: 1,146Gear list
Like?
Quick fix:
In reply to Hughesnet, Dec 2, 2012

Hughesnet wrote:

I can't get my a77 raw files to work in windows explorer or native photo app in windows 8. I installed the windows 8 codec pack and no joy. Noticed it didn't list the a77 in any case. Anyone have a fix for this? I can of course see then in adobe but want to see them in native windows 8 explorer and the photos app.

Uninstall that POS windows 8 and go back to 7.  

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hughesnet
Like?
Re: Quick fix:
In reply to Rashkae, Dec 2, 2012

Rashkae wrote:

Hughesnet wrote:

Uninstall that POS windows 8 and go back to 7.

That may be a bit disappointing on my touchscreen Lenovo Yoga 13. Especially since 8 blows away 7 in every way. But I do note your point, that IS a fix and the fact that 7 didn't have this issue and 8 does is frustrating. Not a deal breaker as I don't own the a77 any more but still.

Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
Sam_Oslo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,530Gear list
Like?
Re: a77 raw on windows 8

You may need the Sony RAW Driver for Windows 8, but that's not on Sony's download list, yet.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SLT-A77/updates

You could try to install the Sony RAW Driver for Windows 7 and see it halps.

Sam_Oslo's gear list:Sam_Oslo's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 20mm F2.8 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +2 more
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,205Gear list
Like?

Doesn't Picasa have a nice little viewer to replace the Windows one ?

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
Yemble
Senior MemberPosts: 2,114
Like?
In reply to Ron Poelman, Dec 2, 2012

I'd try IrfanView if I were you. It's Open Source, been around for many years, rock solid and tends to be on the bleeding edge with regard to RAW support and new OS environments.

I seem to remember similar issues with A77 RAWs on Windows 7 when the A77 was first released.  IrfanView fixed it for me back then...

Hughesnet
Like?
In reply to Yemble, Dec 2, 2012

Yemble wrote:

I'd try IrfanView if I were you. It's Open Source, been around for many years, rock solid and tends to be on the bleeding edge with regard to RAW support and new OS environments.

I seem to remember similar issues with A77 RAWs on Windows 7 when the A77 was first released. IrfanView fixed it for me back then...

I will check it out. In regards to Picasso, I don't use it. I use Lightroom to import, manage and edit. But need windows explorer support for a77 Raws so I have functioning thumbnails and can use the windows 8 metro photo viewer.

Xentrax
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Just install Sony RAW Driver for Windows 7
In reply to Hughesnet, Dec 8, 2012

Windows 8 seems to include built-in ARW support for older cameras like A700 or A580. But it cannot show thumbnails for A65 raw files. I believe same issue exists with A77.

I installed old Sony RAW driver which nevertheless lists A65 and A77 as supported models, SRD20_Installer0810a.exe, and Windows 8 x64 started to show A65 raw files correctly.

Btw, I like Windows 8 over 7, even without touch screen, on a normal dektop.

makithaca
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hughesnet, Dec 9, 2012

Go here and download the Fast Stone Viewer. Best viewer ever used! Try it!

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

makithaca's gear list:makithaca's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony Xperia Z +1 more
kvken
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
In reply to makithaca, Dec 9, 2012

Thanks that's a nice viewer no more jpg plus raw just raw that does with raw files what I use the jpegs for now one step eliminated. allows me to delete and view.  I like to just do a quick run though and delete the bad files before the import. that is all i used the jep's for. Thanks again.

alan996
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
In reply to Hughesnet, Dec 9, 2012

The plugin for Win 7 from the Sony site mentioned above works on my Win 8 install.

Alan_S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449Gear list
Like?
In reply to alan996, Dec 9, 2012

alan996 wrote:

The plugin for Win 7 from the Sony site mentioned above works on my Win 8 install.

Here's the link http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/cyber-shot/download/raw_driver_e/index.html

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,314
Like?
In reply to Yemble, Dec 9, 2012

Yemble wrote:

IrfanView is NOT open source.

Yemble
Senior MemberPosts: 2,114
Like?
In reply to Archer66, Dec 10, 2012

Archer66 wrote:

Yemble wrote:

Whatever...

It is free for non-commercial use.

From the Web site...

"IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, XP, 2003 , 2008, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8."

Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,314
Like?
In reply to Yemble, Dec 11, 2012

Yemble wrote:

Archer66 wrote:

Yemble wrote:

Whatever...

It is free for non-commercial use.

From the Web site...

"IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, XP, 2003 , 2008, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8."

Freeware does not mean open source.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads