a77 raw on windows 8

Started Dec 2, 2012 | Discussions
Hughesnet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,024Gear list
Like?
a77 raw on windows 8
Dec 2, 2012

I can't get my a77 raw files to work in windows explorer or native photo app in windows 8. I installed the windows 8 codec pack and no joy. Noticed it didn't list the a77 in any case. Anyone have a fix for this? I can of course see then in adobe but want to see them in native windows 8 explorer and the photos app.

 Hughesnet's gear list:Hughesnet's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rashkae
Senior MemberPosts: 1,146Gear list
Like?
Quick fix:
In reply to Hughesnet, Dec 2, 2012

Hughesnet wrote:

I can't get my a77 raw files to work in windows explorer or native photo app in windows 8. I installed the windows 8 codec pack and no joy. Noticed it didn't list the a77 in any case. Anyone have a fix for this? I can of course see then in adobe but want to see them in native windows 8 explorer and the photos app.

Uninstall that POS windows 8 and go back to 7.  

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hughesnet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,024Gear list
Like?
Re: Quick fix:
In reply to Rashkae, Dec 2, 2012

Rashkae wrote:

Hughesnet wrote:

I can't get my a77 raw files to work in windows explorer or native photo app in windows 8. I installed the windows 8 codec pack and no joy. Noticed it didn't list the a77 in any case. Anyone have a fix for this? I can of course see then in adobe but want to see them in native windows 8 explorer and the photos app.

Uninstall that POS windows 8 and go back to 7.

That may be a bit disappointing on my touchscreen Lenovo Yoga 13. Especially since 8 blows away 7 in every way. But I do note your point, that IS a fix and the fact that 7 didn't have this issue and 8 does is frustrating. Not a deal breaker as I don't own the a77 any more but still.

 Hughesnet's gear list:Hughesnet's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sam_Oslo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,530Gear list
Like?
Re: a77 raw on windows 8
In reply to Hughesnet, Dec 2, 2012

You may need the Sony RAW Driver for Windows 8, but that's not on Sony's download list, yet.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SLT-A77/updates

You could try to install the Sony RAW Driver for Windows 7 and see it halps.

 Sam_Oslo's gear list:Sam_Oslo's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 20mm F2.8 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,205Gear list
Like?
Re: a77 raw on windows 8
In reply to Hughesnet, Dec 2, 2012

Doesn't Picasa have a nice little viewer to replace the Windows one ?

 Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Yemble
Senior MemberPosts: 2,114
Like?
Re: a77 raw on windows 8
In reply to Ron Poelman, Dec 2, 2012

I'd try IrfanView if I were you. It's Open Source, been around for many years, rock solid and tends to be on the bleeding edge with regard to RAW support and new OS environments.

I seem to remember similar issues with A77 RAWs on Windows 7 when the A77 was first released.  IrfanView fixed it for me back then...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hughesnet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,024Gear list
Like?
Re: a77 raw on windows 8
In reply to Yemble, Dec 2, 2012

Yemble wrote:

I'd try IrfanView if I were you. It's Open Source, been around for many years, rock solid and tends to be on the bleeding edge with regard to RAW support and new OS environments.

I seem to remember similar issues with A77 RAWs on Windows 7 when the A77 was first released. IrfanView fixed it for me back then...

I will check it out. In regards to Picasso, I don't use it. I use Lightroom to import, manage and edit. But need windows explorer support for a77 Raws so I have functioning thumbnails and can use the windows 8 metro photo viewer.

 Hughesnet's gear list:Hughesnet's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Xentrax
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Just install Sony RAW Driver for Windows 7
In reply to Hughesnet, Dec 8, 2012

Windows 8 seems to include built-in ARW support for older cameras like A700 or A580. But it cannot show thumbnails for A65 raw files. I believe same issue exists with A77.

I installed old Sony RAW driver which nevertheless lists A65 and A77 as supported models, SRD20_Installer0810a.exe, and Windows 8 x64 started to show A65 raw files correctly.

Btw, I like Windows 8 over 7, even without touch screen, on a normal dektop.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
makithaca
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
Re: a77 raw on windows 8
In reply to Hughesnet, Dec 9, 2012

Go here and download the Fast Stone Viewer. Best viewer ever used! Try it!

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

 makithaca's gear list:makithaca's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony Xperia Z +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kvken
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
Re: a77 raw on windows 8
In reply to makithaca, Dec 9, 2012

Thanks that's a nice viewer no more jpg plus raw just raw that does with raw files what I use the jpegs for now one step eliminated. allows me to delete and view.  I like to just do a quick run though and delete the bad files before the import. that is all i used the jep's for. Thanks again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alan996
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Re: a77 raw on windows 8
In reply to Hughesnet, Dec 9, 2012

The plugin for Win 7 from the Sony site mentioned above works on my Win 8 install.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alan_S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449Gear list
Like?
Re: a77 raw on windows 8
In reply to alan996, Dec 9, 2012

alan996 wrote:

The plugin for Win 7 from the Sony site mentioned above works on my Win 8 install.

Here's the link http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/cyber-shot/download/raw_driver_e/index.html

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

 Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,314
Like?
Re: a77 raw on windows 8
In reply to Yemble, Dec 9, 2012

Yemble wrote:

I'd try IrfanView if I were you. It's Open Source, been around for many years, rock solid and tends to be on the bleeding edge with regard to RAW support and new OS environments.

IrfanView is NOT open source.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Yemble
Senior MemberPosts: 2,114
Like?
Re: a77 raw on windows 8
In reply to Archer66, Dec 10, 2012

Archer66 wrote:

Yemble wrote:

I'd try IrfanView if I were you. It's Open Source, been around for many years, rock solid and tends to be on the bleeding edge with regard to RAW support and new OS environments.

IrfanView is NOT open source.

Whatever...

It is free for non-commercial use.

From the Web site...

"IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, XP, 2003 , 2008, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,314
Like?
Re: a77 raw on windows 8
In reply to Yemble, Dec 11, 2012

Yemble wrote:

Archer66 wrote:

Yemble wrote:

I'd try IrfanView if I were you. It's Open Source, been around for many years, rock solid and tends to be on the bleeding edge with regard to RAW support and new OS environments.

IrfanView is NOT open source.

Whatever...

It is free for non-commercial use.

From the Web site...

"IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, XP, 2003 , 2008, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8."

Freeware does not mean open source.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads