Case for NEX 6: Leather explorer or Gariz?

Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions
sjredo
Regular MemberPosts: 251Gear list
Like?
Case for NEX 6: Leather explorer or Gariz?
Dec 1, 2012

Hi Everyone, I've been meaning to buy a good half case for my nex 6 but I can't really decide between these two:

Leather Explorer Case

Gariz Case

any experiencies with either one?

I'd rather go for the leather explorer since it's cheaper , but Gariz is highly praised...

sjredo's gear list:sjredo's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
sjredo
Like?
Re: Case for NEX 6: Leather explorer or Gariz?
In reply to sjredo, Dec 1, 2012

Anyone?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
capt bob
Senior MemberPosts: 1,611Gear list
Like?
In reply to sjredo, Dec 1, 2012

Hi I like the first one , But...   If you look at my Posting on  40.5 to 54 mm step (52)

one page back I had bought a nice case kinda retro take a look at that athough it appears to be some sort of Material leather it's really quite nice and I am a little fussy it passed my test

thick and padded and nice hardware and the cover is hinged so you can use a 50 1.8 with filter.

I posted a link in post.

Is the first one extended it looks as if it is recessed at the Battery door if you need the grip thats fine but it takes some of the Smallness out of the 6 too.

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +25 more
Gary H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,739Gear list
Like?
In reply to sjredo, Dec 2, 2012

You must ask yourself if there is anyone on this planet that owns both. I think that you will find the answer to be few, or none.

I have the Gariz and use it with my NEX-7. It is a well made case that allows for battery and memory card changes. The bottom is very solid and I would have preferred the corners to be more rounded, but I would buy it again. Did I mention that the Gariz is really first class workmanship. Also, it is well made. OK, that said, I have many cameras with many cases less well made that work great.

My wife has the Sony full case with her NEX-6 and it is wonderful, but I only purchased this case for her because she will never mount anything but the kit lens and will only shoot on fully automatic. If you are a kit lens person, or shoot with lenses of the same, or smaller sizes then this is the case to get. If you are mostly small lens person, this is the case to get, because it serves also as a half-case and it is easily removed for battery/card changes.  It is also easy to use as a half case with a larger lens, like the Zeiss 24mm.  The Sony is the one to get in my opinion, but not if you don't keep small lenses mounted a good bit of the time.

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
Vreeke
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
In reply to sjredo, Dec 2, 2012

sjredo wrote:

Hi Everyone, I've been meaning to buy a good half case for my nex 6 but I can't really decide between these two:

Leather Explorer Case

Gariz Case

I'd rather go for the leather explorer since it's cheaper , but Gariz is highly praised...

I just received the Leather Explorer Case for a NEX7. It's well made good leather but I felt that the leather was quit thin. I purchased this one over the Gariz because of price and the fact I was not going to purchase the sling strap that goes with it. On the NEX7 it would have been nice if the material wrapped around the right back corner of the camera like the Gariz does. Something I did not notice when examining the pics.

sjredo
Like?
In reply to Vreeke, Dec 2, 2012

Vreeke wrote:

sjredo wrote:

Leather Explorer Case

Gariz Case

I just received the Leather Explorer Case for a NEX7. It's well made good leather but I felt that the leather was quit thin. I purchased this one over the Gariz because of price and the fact I was not going to purchase the sling strap that goes with it. On the NEX7 it would have been nice if the material wrapped around the right back corner of the camera like the Gariz does. Something I did not notice when examining the pics.

Great info Vreeke, I'm still undecided between those two.

Does the sony have the tripod screw now?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads