Sony RX-1 FF vs X Cameras

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions
pkincy
Contributing MemberPosts: 798
Like?
Sony RX-1 FF vs X Cameras
Nov 28, 2012

I noticed DPR has a more comprehensive review of the RX-1 up now.  So I went over to check it out as I suppose I am a "more real estate is good....junkie..." which is why I would never own a micro 4/3rds.

One of the default competitors in their test is the X100 and what I noticed was not only how good the RX-1 is but how darned good the X100 is next to it even with the smaller sensor.  Than I changed the Sony A99 to the XPro 1 images and it is clear that as good as the D600 and the RX1 are, the X cameras simply are right there with them.

Outstanding equipment choices these days.  It is a shame that so many people don't know how to focus so that they can not enjoy the X cameras as well as they should.

-- hide signature --

X100
XPro1; 60mm Macro, 35mm f1.4
XE1/Zoom on order

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D600 Sony RX1 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Sony RX-1 FF vs X Cameras
In reply to pkincy, Nov 28, 2012

pkincy wrote:

I noticed DPR has a more comprehensive review of the RX-1 up now. So I went over to check it out as I suppose I am a "more real estate is good....junkie..." which is why I would never own a micro 4/3rds.

One of the default competitors in their test is the X100 and what I noticed was not only how good the RX-1 is but how darned good the X100 is next to it even with the smaller sensor. Than I changed the Sony A99 to the XPro 1 images and it is clear that as good as the D600 and the RX1 are, the X cameras simply are right there with them.

Outstanding equipment choices these days. It is a shame that so many people don't know how to focus so that they can not enjoy the X cameras as well as they should.

It's a shame that X cameras don't have auto focus abilities equal to their IQ abilities.

-- hide signature --

X100
XE1/Zoom on order

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ahuyevshi
Contributing MemberPosts: 821
Like?
In reply to rattymouse, Nov 28, 2012

Again, I'm in the minority.. I've missed maybe a few shots because of AF and those were primarily my fault in terms of framing and not the cameras..

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to ahuyevshi, Nov 28, 2012

ahuyevshi wrote:

Again, I'm in the minority.. I've missed maybe a few shots because of AF and those were primarily my fault in terms of framing and not the cameras..

Personal issues with your ability aside, no one can credibly claim that Fuji's X cameras have industry leading AF performance.  They could argue that X camera IQ is industry leading.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
ahuyevshi
Contributing MemberPosts: 821
Like?
In reply to rattymouse, Nov 28, 2012

rattymouse wrote:

ahuyevshi wrote:

Personal issues with your ability aside, no one can credibly claim that Fuji's X cameras have industry leading AF performance. They could argue that X camera IQ is industry leading.

-- hide signature --

I completely agree with you that it isn't the fastest AF, but in terms of accuracy given enough contrast it works fairly well.

This is why I've asked why people who bought the X-E1 knowing that the AF was similar to the XP1 are surprised..  The problem is with the consumer base assuming the X series is something it's not. The Leica X2, a niche camera as well is equally as slow if not slower in it's AF performance. However, the Leica forums (outside of DP of course) aren't filled with ZOMG AF sucks on it.  People purchased it full well knowing that it fits their shooting style.

chiumeister
Contributing MemberPosts: 615Gear list
Like?
In reply to pkincy, Nov 29, 2012

You are so right about the X cameras.

one example with the X-Pro 1 and autofocus.

X-Pro 1 with 35 1.4 lens

-- hide signature --

www.BillyChiu.com
www.youtube.com/paulchiu

chiumeister's gear list:chiumeister's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Leica M9 Canon EOS-1D X Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
threeOh
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?

pkincy wrote:

I noticed DPR has a more comprehensive review of the RX-1 up now. So I went over to check it out as I suppose I am a "more real estate is good....junkie..." which is why I would never own a micro 4/3rds.

One of the default competitors in their test is the X100 and what I noticed was not only how good the RX-1 is but how darned good the X100 is next to it even with the smaller sensor. Than I changed the Sony A99 to the XPro 1 images and it is clear that as good as the D600 and the RX1 are, the X cameras simply are right there with them.

Outstanding equipment choices these days. It is a shame that so many people don't know how to focus so that they can not enjoy the X cameras as well as they should.

-- hide signature --

X100
XE1/Zoom on order

Love the approach Sony took but not the price. Once you throw in some basic accessories, you're at $4k. My X100 will do just fine.

Clint Dunn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,227Gear list
Like?
It's all about expectations..
In reply to rattymouse, Nov 29, 2012

rattymouse wrote:

ahuyevshi wrote:

Personal issues with your ability aside, no one can credibly claim that Fuji's X cameras have industry leading AF performance. They could argue that X camera IQ is industry leading.

Actually...my XPro1's AF is industry leading compared to my old Leica M8:)  I bought the XPro as a replacement for the M8, so from my perspective I don't have any high expectations for AF speed, and for me I rarely miss shots due to the AF.  If I want speed I use my DSLR.

-- hide signature --
 Clint Dunn's gear list:Clint Dunn's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +3 more
Robert A
Senior MemberPosts: 1,512
Like?
In reply to threeOh, Nov 29, 2012

$2.8k is extremely rich for a fixed-lens camera.  Ok, so let's accept that.  But why is there no built-in OVF?  Why????

-- hide signature --

Robert A
Canon 5D

Photozopia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?
In reply to Robert A, Nov 29, 2012

Robert A wrote:

$2.8k is extremely rich for a fixed-lens camera. Ok, so let's accept that. But why is there no built-in OVF? Why????

Cos it will be on an RX-2 .... @ $3.8k - coming to a store near you (in about 2 years time) perhaps?

Georgino
Regular MemberPosts: 380Gear list
Like?
In reply to chiumeister, Nov 29, 2012

chiumeister wrote:

You are so right about the X cameras.

one example with the X-Pro 1 and autofocus.

X-Pro 1 with 35 1.4 lens

-- hide signature --

www.BillyChiu.com
www.youtube.com/paulchiu

chiumeister,

This is great example how fast is your AF. It had to be lighting speed faster then Nikon D4 to be able to capture that super fast moving subjects !!!!!

Great example for speedy AF of X-Pro1, really !!!

-- hide signature --
 Georgino's gear list:Georgino's gear list
Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Georgino
Regular MemberPosts: 380Gear list
Like?

pkincy wrote:

Now we don't know how to focus. LOL It has nothing to do that AF is like a snail compare to DSLRs?

For some unknown reason I will have to guess that you will not see many fujifilms x-pro1 or x-e1 on the sports events.

Hmm... why we have no yet seen sports or fast moving subjects samples photos? O' becose people don't know how to focus. LOL

Sorry I could not help my self

-- hide signature --

X100
XE1/Zoom on order

-- hide signature --
 Georgino's gear list:Georgino's gear list
Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
pkincy
Like?
In reply to Georgino, Nov 29, 2012

Actually I do think the problem is that today's photographers don't know how to AF.

That is because the modern digital camera with PDAF focuses so well that there is supposedly no need to learn such an outdated activity.

For those of us that grew up with only MF as a choice we had to learn the technique. So focusing is a needed technique. Therefore we learned it and have relearned how to AF with the X cameras which has some of the same skills (and patience) needed with the older MF cameras.

Perry

-- hide signature --

X100
XE1/Zoom on order

pkincy
Like?
In reply to pkincy, Nov 30, 2012

I should admit what my experience hasn't taught me how to do.  Yes I can manually focus a lens and can make the X series cameras focus just fine (based on my expectation of how long it takes to MF) but here is what my experience doesn't allow me to know.

I took out my X-E1 today with the kit zoom and didn't have a clue how to change aperture.  I have never used a zoom before or any serious camera without an aperture ring.  And certainly never used a zoom with changing maximum apertures.  So us old foggies do have problems using the more modern conveniences.  I did finally figure out that the lens has an A or P switch that allows the closest ring to change aperture while in Aperture Priority.

Darned these newfangled automatic/electronic gizmos.  However I do like the fact that one of the bathrooms is not permanently shut down due to being full of chemicals, developing tanks and an enlarger however.  That is progress.

-- hide signature --

X100
XE1/Zoom on order

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads