Changing from Canon to Nikon, am I forgetting something?

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,951Gear list
Like?
OP...told ya.
In reply to marike6, Nov 30, 2012

No one has a different answer about the flash compensation because there is none.  I read the manual 3 times or more, did all the things it said, and got my answer not from there, but from the shop manager, and eventually there was one, yes only one person on dpr that told me the truth as I found it to be.   You can't use EC effectively (to vary the flash ratio) on any of the camera modes except M.   And that kinda sucks.

So go to a large retail pro store, and they will confirm this.  These guys won't cause if they've never shot w Canon's flash system a lot, they won't miss  what Nikon doesn't offer.  Simple truth.  I know you want a second opinion, but you will need to go to someone at a shop...or find out for yourself, even better.  You are stuck with what the body decides to do, unless you shoot only in M while using the hotshoe flash.  FYI.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?
Re: OP...told ya.
In reply to jonrobertp, Nov 30, 2012

jonrobertp wrote:

No one has a different answer about the flash compensation because there is none. I read the manual 3 times or more, did all the things it said, and got my answer not from there, but from the shop manager, and eventually there was one, yes only one person on dpr that told me the truth as I found it to be. You can't use EC effectively (to vary the flash ratio) on any of the camera modes except M. And that kinda sucks.

So go to a large retail pro store, and they will confirm this. These guys won't cause if they've never shot w Canon's flash system a lot, they won't miss what Nikon doesn't offer. Simple truth. I know you want a second opinion, but you will need to go to someone at a shop...or find out for yourself, even better. You are stuck with what the body decides to do, unless you shoot only in M while using the hotshoe flash. FYI.

what are you talking about. you can easily change the power ratio between multiple flashes in ittl. you can also change the general level of the flash compared to ambient light.

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
jonrobertp
Like?
In reply to Kodachrome200, Nov 30, 2012

yes, but that is NOT what we are talking about.  Single flash, flash exposure comp in those modes.  NOT overall comp.

Ratio.

And if you are shooting a bride who rapidly changes background and ambient lighting as she moves around, you have to change your manual settings and iso to each new spot, which you do not have to do with the Canon flash system.  You dial it in, and it's there. Doing it's job.

Gully Foyle
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Re: Really worth it?

Kodachrome200 wrote

d800 compressed raw at 14 bit is more like 50mb

there is no such thing as small raw. canon made it up for photographers who dont know better. the d800 provides cropped options and actually implement the feature quite well. Small raw files are demosaiced already and therefore DO NOT still possess the advantage of a raw file

on the sony count SLT's are not SLRs the disadvantages are significant id stay well away

Since the uncompressed option is there, I pointed out the maximum size a RAW can reach.

I don't know the mechanics of the small RAW, but I know that it works. And since I have used myself applications that convert the huge .NEF files into smaller .DNG, I can't see why the OOC small RAW is any different. The OP might know better. But anyway, I'm trying to point out that there are issues with Nikon as well and a change in systems is not always panacea.

As for SONY, the SLT design disadvantages give a couple of advantages as well. I would better call them compromises. But I think there is no need to bother the OP with SONY since he seems to have his mind set. Since he's changing systems, I thought he might want to try a new way of taking pictures. Of course picking up a whole new system just for trying isn't ideal, but hey...

jonrobertp
Like?

Compared to Canons system, this one makes for many blown out brides/faces etc.   The body overrides your inputs here. Period.  And won't tell you about it, but you find out right after the shot.

Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?

there is a button devoted to flash exposure compensation on the body

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
Cacophonic Visions
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?
Re: As an uninterested observer.....

Kodachrome200 wrote:

it is. he is totally right. Sony makes SLT 's not SLRs and EVFs just arent that good yet. also lens slection sucks. pentax is barely hanging on. they dont even make a full frame camera what the OP wants

For what the OP is asking, Sony has amazing FF lenses to cover each of them.

Sony HVL-F60M Flash

Sony Vario-Sonnar T* 16-35mm, f/2.8ZA SSM

Sony 50mm f/1.4

Sony Alpha A99 24mp FF SLT

Sony Vario-Sonnar T* 24-70mm, f/2.8ZA SSM

Sony 70-400mm, f4-5.6 G SSM

Along with accessories to cover the remotes and such. The EVF in the A99 is amazing. The A99 also nearly nullifies or negates most of the "disadvantages of SLTs" to the point of making them insignificant.  The lens selection might not have the ridiculous amounts of niche lenses and 2-3 copies of the same lenses in their lists to pad the numbers as Canon or Nikon do, but the important bases are more than covered with lenses that match or beat the others in IQ and quality for their particular category. Let's also not forget the entire Minolta lens library all the way back to 1985. Arguing that most of them are film lenses is moot, as there are plenty of Canon and Nikon film lenses still in use today as well, aside from the ones rendered obsolete due to mount changes.

The senseless Sony and SLT bashing in these forums seems to be the culmination of misinformation spread through brand hatred and ignorance. Those along with those insecure in their choices who feel the need to bash on anything that isn't what they chose. That and bloody trolls who spread hate and discontent for no reason aside from what sick satisfaction they get from making others angry or irritated.

Every brand has something to offer, whether or not it happens to be your cup of tea or not.

ToTheEnd wrote:

Hello all!

Long time... and lot of news. To make a long story short, I'm tired of Canon after having spent 10 or 15 years with it. Basically, very poor handling of AF with the 5DmII over 4 years and the price hike for the 5DmIII definitely convinced me that this company doesn't deserve any additional money from my side.

I'm turning to the community as, to be perfectly honest, I don't know Nikon. Of course, I read reviews and as Nikon is one of the main competitor of Canon, I believe they make great stuff. As I don't know this brand very well, I want to make sure I'm not forgetting something.

This is my actual Canon material:

Canon SL580EX II Speedlite Flash

Canon Objektiv EF 16-35mm, f/2.8L II USM

Canon Objektiv EF 50mm f/1.2L USM

Canon Extender EF 1.4x II

Canon EOS 5D MKII, 21 Megapixel

Canon Objektiv EF 24-70mm, f/ 2.8 L USM

Canon Objektiv EF 100-400mm, f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Canon RS-80 N3

Canon RC-5

And I want to take this:

NIKON AF-S 14-24mm F/2.8G ED

NIKON AF-S 50mm F/1.4G

Nikon D800, 36.3 MP Body

NIKON AF-S 24-70mm F/2.8G ED

NIKON AF VR 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6D ED

NIKON MC-DC2

NIKON ML-L3

I don't need a Nikon Flash as now I have access to pro flashes (and D800 comes with a small flash anyway), don't need an extender and the 50mm 1.4 should be enough vs the Canon 1.2!

Now, is the remote MC-DC2 compatible with the D800? (not clear on the website)

As for lenses... to say the least, I found it very difficult to understand the naming convention of Nikon! Are those lenses OK? Are they equivalent to Canon L serie?

Thanks,

T

Cacophonic Visions's gear list:Cacophonic Visions's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 +13 more
Tony Sx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,070
Like?
Re: Doesn't make much sense to me.
In reply to ToTheEnd, Nov 30, 2012

ToTheEnd wrote:

Yeah... me too I make some nice shots with the Canon... the problem is the amount of bad pictures I'm getting when I'm taking very simple pictures.

T

-- hide signature --

Well, you take really good images with a Canon but it also takes bad images. Does that sound like it's the camera's fault? Is it that camera plus lens A takes good pics while camera plus lens B takes bad pics or is it that camera plus user sometimes f*cks up?

?

-- hide signature --

Banned in the News Forum.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,786Gear list
Like?
Re: As an uninterested observer.....
In reply to ToTheEnd, Dec 1, 2012

ToTheEnd wrote:

Said differently, the hassle is to have a camera that can't do a good AF 2 times out of 5 and having to pay more money to fix it.

You've been reading the autofocus problems with the d800, right?  Good luck with that.

If you had AF problems with your camera, you should have had it addressed while it was under warranty.  If the problem happened after the warranty ran out, get it fixed I bet it'll cost less than $2000 to fix.  I read you'll lose about $2000 after it's all done, so why not just have your camera fixed and you'll not have to try and sell a bunch of gear to buy equivelant items of a different brand?  Or you can buy a 6D for $2100 and then sell your 5D and end up better off than switching brands and losing $2000.

jonrobertp
Like?
In reply to Kodachrome200, Dec 1, 2012

Changes nothing. Body overrides if it doesn't agree with what the flash ec is set at.  Top experienced Nikon reps at a large store will tell you that too.

Paljas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,331
Like?
Re: Changing from Canon to Nikon, am I forgetting something?

ToTheEnd wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

Meh, all that work just to get the same photos? Just get the 5Dmk3. I know you think it is too expensive, but it is cheaper than the time and money you will waste selling Canon stuff and buying all Nikon.

I'll say two things:

It will be the same photos but with less blur... which at the end should make a lot of difference.

It is not only about price as I'll loose 2k in the process. It is about not giving money to a company that has released a bad product...

T

-- hide signature --

You have a point. In fairness Canon have released many excellent products and maintained very good standards.

I wonder if Nikon has a better record.

I suppose your advantage is that you will learn a whole new system with different strengths and weaknesses.

A disadvantage is the time spent on the learning curve on the camera and all your related software and systems.

There are going to be risks, knowns and unknowns in whatever you decide. Only you really know what is important to you.

-- hide signature --

Observing dreaming seeking

James Cafferty
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,306
Like?

Do you plan to submit photos to National Geographic? What do you expect the Nikon system to do for you - better than your current Canon system?

Can you afford to rent a Nikon body and several lenses to see if you really like the Nikon system? The grass always looks greener...

Either way, Good luck!

-- hide signature --

All the best,
Jim
Photographers take pictures; the camera is only a tool.

ToTheEnd
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
In reply to James Cafferty, Dec 2, 2012

James Cafferty wrote:

Do you plan to submit photos to National Geographic? What do you expect the Nikon system to do for you - better than your current Canon system?

For the 23rd time: produce less blurry pictures?

T

-- hide signature --
sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,318Gear list
Like?
I googled your statement, found no page that agreed with you. From the D700 manual:
In reply to jonrobertp, Dec 2, 2012

Flash Compensation (P, S, A & M modes only)

Flash compensation is used to alter flash output by from –3EV to +1EV in increments

of 1/3EV, changing the brightness of the main subject relative to the background.

Flash output can be increased to make the main subject appear brighter, or reduced

to prevent unwanted highlights or reflections.

Press theY button and rotate the sub-command

dial until the desired value is displayed in the control

panel. In general, choose positive values to make the

main subject brighter, negative values to make it

darker.

At values other than ±0.0, a

Y icon will be displayed

in the control panel and viewfinder after you release

the

Y button. The current value for flash

compensation can be confirmed by pressing the

Y

button.

Normal flash output can be restored by setting flash

compensation to ±0.0. Flash compensation is not

reset when the camera is turned off.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +3 more
jonrobertp
Like?
Re: I googled your statement, found no page that agreed with you. From the D700 manual:
In reply to sandy b, Dec 2, 2012

sandy b wrote:

Flash Compensation (P, S, A & M modes only)

Flash compensation is used to alter flash output by from –3EV to +1EV in increments

of 1/3EV, changing the brightness of the main subject relative to the background.

Flash output can be increased to make the main subject appear brighter, or reduced

to prevent unwanted highlights or reflections.

Press theY button and rotate the sub-command

dial until the desired value is displayed in the control

panel. In general, choose positive values to make the

main subject brighter, negative values to make it

darker.

At values other than ±0.0, a

Y icon will be displayed

in the control panel and viewfinder after you release

the

Y button. The current value for flash

compensation can be confirmed by pressing the

Y

button.

Normal flash output can be restored by setting flash

compensation to ±0.0. Flash compensation is not

reset when the camera is turned off.

It's not in the manual.  And you won't see it on the settings before you shoot.  Check the settings after a shot, ie. with an evergreen tree background.  Sad stuff.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads