Changing from Canon to Nikon, am I forgetting something?

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions
Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?
Re: OP--yes, the Nikon flash system is ...
In reply to pixelless, Nov 30, 2012
 Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
amosf
Contributing MemberPosts: 680Gear list
Like?
It is odd, however...
In reply to ToTheEnd, Nov 30, 2012

that other people don't seem to have such a problem.

amosf's gear list:amosf's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,130
Like?
Great lenses...

Photography is more about the lenses than the cameras; you should give your lenses away to a starving photographer since money doesn't seem to be an issue.  Just a reminder that Nikon and Canon have traded places over the last 50 years as to who's in the lead, but the glass remains constant.

-- hide signature --

Hind sight is always better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

ToTheEnd
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Re: Changing from Canon to Nikon, am I forgetting something?
In reply to BrettSD, Nov 30, 2012

Maybe in the US, but not in Swtzerland... there is a 700 dollars difference here between the 2 machines.

T

-- hide signature --
ToTheEnd
Like?
Re: As an uninterested observer.....
In reply to RedFox88, Nov 30, 2012

RedFox88 wrote:

ToTheEnd wrote:

Good point. I chose Nikon because fundamentally, cameras are one of their core Business (64% of revenues comes out of Imaging Products).

Statistics of a company is a ​poor​ reason to choose a brand to switch to. You'll have far less hassle by staying with the gear you have. 36 vs. 21 MP is not a lot of difference which requires printing very large to try and see a difference ​and​ be very close to said very large print!

Funny. Actually, I never spoke about this 36mp vs 21mp and there is a good reason: I just don't care about that. In terms of treatment, manipulation, storage, etc. it is even something that, from my usage standpoint, would work against Nikon.

Said differently, the hassle is to have a camera that can't do a good AF 2 times out of 5 and having to pay more money to fix it.

T

-- hide signature --
ToTheEnd
Like?
Re: It is odd, however...
In reply to amosf, Nov 30, 2012

Agree... but what amazes me, it to read reports on the Mark III that state: "and it corrects the issues with AF the Mark II had"...

T

-- hide signature --
ToTheEnd
Like?
In reply to tkbslc, Nov 30, 2012

tkbslc wrote:

Meh, all that work just to get the same photos? Just get the 5Dmk3. I know you think it is too expensive, but it is cheaper than the time and money you will waste selling Canon stuff and buying all Nikon.

I'll say two things:

It will be the same photos but with less blur... which at the end should make a lot of difference.

It is not only about price as I'll loose 2k in the process. It is about not giving money to a company that has released a bad product...

T

-- hide signature --
ToTheEnd
Like?
Re: Great lenses...
In reply to rsn48, Nov 30, 2012

rsn48 wrote:

you should give your lenses away to a starving photographer since money doesn't seem to be an issue.

When I'll be rich (which is unlikely going to happen), I'll do that...

T

-- hide signature --
ToTheEnd
Like?
Re: Doesn't make much sense to me.
In reply to amosf, Nov 30, 2012

Yeah... me too I make some nice shots with the Canon... the problem is the amount of bad pictures I'm getting when I'm taking very simple pictures.

T

-- hide signature --
Gully Foyle
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Really worth it?

Is the AF issue your only problem with Canon? You should expect issues with the D800/Nikon as well, maybe not AF but others that Nikon users are accustomed to and wouldn't report as problems but you might find them annoying to cope with. In other words, until you tried it yourself you'll never know. Is it really worth it? As someone else said, you'd probably be better off just buying a 5DIII and stick with what you know best.

The experience I had with the D800 (and D700, not mine, alas) is that it's a great machine but not flawless. For instance, why crop 1080p output to 95%? Or, there's no small RAW option, as in Canon. You shoot RAW at 36mp/14bit for maximum quality and in order to get smaller files you have to either compromise that or switch to .jpg. That's the Nikon way, Nikon shooters might not mind to comment it but you might find it frustrating. And with 75mb RAW files that might prove to be a major issue. Also I don't think Nikon is innovative in any way. Of course neither is Canon and probably that is to be expected from these two, but don't expect a whole new world of possibilities opening up with Nikon. SONY? Yeah, I wouldn't be so hesitant to dismiss it, but they're plenty innovative if you're willing to try. That of course depends on the workflow one does. But it definitely isn't such a compromise choice. And if you ask me, SONY plays strong in this business and they mean to stay. Consider, why produce the RX1? But agreed, they lack in lens options. Not in quality though.

I'm not a fan of any of the above brands. I was shooting Pentax and now I have switched to film. I'm considering digital of course but not yet. The simplicity of film still amuses me, big time!

Just my 2 cents.

amosf
Contributing MemberPosts: 680Gear list
Like?
Re: It is odd, however...

lol. A confession

amosf's gear list:amosf's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
Ken Johnes
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
in Europe there is still almost 700$ price difference betweer d800 and 5d3
In reply to BrettSD, Nov 30, 2012

You can get the 5dmiii and the D800 for the same price now.  In fact, I got my 5dmiii new for less than the price that the d800 usually goes for.   Keep an eye on http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?board=67.0 and you'll get a deal.

unfortunately in Europe there is still almost 700$ price difference betweer d800 and 5d3 .

5d3  http://geizhals.at/de/744163

d800 http://geizhals.at/de/734230

so it´s unfortunately only in your country or in your dream the price is same.

ToTheEnd
Like?
Re: Really worth it?
In reply to Gully Foyle, Nov 30, 2012

Just my 2 cents.

Your 2 cents are indeed very good and I appreciated the post.

I realize Nikon has probably some other issues that I don't know but the thing is that I'm really pizzed off at Canon for this 5DmII. Try to imagine going to a shooting and getting the best from everyone and when you get home, some good shoots are just blurry. It really kills me and my creativity as I'm always wondering if this AF is doing its job properly.

Finally, as I mentioned it earlier to someone here, the 36mp sensor is an issue as you can't shoot "smaller". It is definitely not why I'm taking the 800. I don't need that "power" and it is going to have an impact on the all process (image transfer, time to treat, power to treat, crops, exports, etc.).

I'll give a try to this 800 within the next few days and I'll take a decision after.

Thanks,

T

-- hide signature --
ToTheEnd
Like?
Re: in Europe there is still almost 700$ price difference betweer d800 and 5d3
In reply to Ken Johnes, Nov 30, 2012

Agree... in CH the price is down from launch but only slightly and with, from time to time, a small discount... you can follow pricing here:

http://www.toppreise.ch/chart_268317.html

But the big gap of around 700$ stays as the 800 also goes down:

http://www.toppreise.ch/chart_265667.html

T

-- hide signature --
Ken Johnes
Like?
there is nothing wrong with the nikon flash system

ToTheEnd wrote:

Could you please be more specific on that as I do studio shoots from time to time (with Elinchrom stuff)?

with studio strobes you dont use P, tv or av modes anyway, you set up the camera in M mode and SS at it´s fastest sync mode and use the aperture for exposure control (on d700 and d800 it´s 1/250 but you get cleaner results at 1/200 with the skyport and elin strobes, unlike on my previous canons that was 1/160 with studio strobes.

On the Canon, I generally select Tv mode and stay in the 1/60 to 1/80 area... what is the issue with the Nikon?

Thanks,

T

-- hide signature --

there is no issue with nikon flash system, and it´s easier to use than the canons ,one simply has to read the manual once and it´s that simple.i got used to the system in a couple of days shooting,but i dont use the Nikon flashes much in TTL mode either( except for event shooting).

i have a SB800 and one SB900 and 5 old SB24s , cheap as dirt but in manual settings with some trick (hypersync and not FP sync) you get them to sync cleanly at 1/3200s(i mean 3200) without any problem.you can do it with your elinchromes too as long as it´s the slow speed flashheads, the d-lites and the S heads on ranger are ok. wont work with the A heads.

Ken Johnes
Like?
Re: in Europe there is still almost 700$ price difference betweer d800 and 5d3

ToTheEnd wrote:

Agree... in CH the price is down from launch but only slightly and with, from time to time, a small discount... you can follow pricing here:

http://www.toppreise.ch/chart_268317.html

But the big gap of around 700$ stays as the 800 also goes down:

http://www.toppreise.ch/chart_265667.html

T

-- hide signature --

nikon rumours says another price drop is coming soon, so i think around Christmas will be the best time to buy it, after Newyear the prices tend to go up a lil bit again.

hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,503
Like?

Give us some feedback on your experience, please. While I have not had serious problems with OOF images with my 5DII cameras, I am very intrigued by the D800.

Ken Johnes
Like?
seems like you are more pi***ed of at something than the OP is ;-)
In reply to Tony Sx, Nov 30, 2012

Tony Sx wrote:

You're p*ssed off with Canon. Fair enough. You think Nikon is the answer. Fair enough. But what makes you think that in another couple of years you won't be p*ssed off with Nikon?

Why not consider getting p*ssed off with Pentax or Sony or any other manufacturer? And please don't make some asinine comment such as "It's either Canon or Nikon".

-- hide signature --

Banned in the News Forum.

well, most people who swear by nikon and canon has a point,the problem is not much with the option in terms of lens and cams, but the resale value once you decide to jump ship again, as OP said he can almost get back 70% of the original price on lenses and even on flashes .

i sold all my canon gear recently and got 80% after 2,5 years of working with it,i lost nothing on one cam and i lost 5% on the main cam , (i buy only used cams).

try that with your sony or pentax or whatever.

Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gully Foyle, Nov 30, 2012

Gully Foyle wrote:

Is the AF issue your only problem with Canon? You should expect issues with the D800/Nikon as well, maybe not AF but others that Nikon users are accustomed to and wouldn't report as problems but you might find them annoying to cope with. In other words, until you tried it yourself you'll never know. Is it really worth it? As someone else said, you'd probably be better off just buying a 5DIII and stick with what you know best.

The experience I had with the D800 (and D700, not mine, alas) is that it's a great machine but not flawless. For instance, why crop 1080p output to 95%? Or, there's no small RAW option, as in Canon. You shoot RAW at 36mp/14bit for maximum quality and in order to get smaller files you have to either compromise that or switch to .jpg. That's the Nikon way, Nikon shooters might not mind to comment it but you might find it frustrating. And with 75mb RAW files that might prove to be a major issue. Also I don't think Nikon is innovative in any way. Of course neither is Canon and probably that is to be expected from these two, but don't expect a whole new world of possibilities opening up with Nikon. SONY? Yeah, I wouldn't be so hesitant to dismiss it, but they're plenty innovative if you're willing to try. That of course depends on the workflow one does. But it definitely isn't such a compromise choice. And if you ask me, SONY plays strong in this business and they mean to stay. Consider, why produce the RX1? But agreed, they lack in lens options. Not in quality though.

I'm not a fan of any of the above brands. I was shooting Pentax and now I have switched to film. I'm considering digital of course but not yet. The simplicity of film still amuses me, big time!

Just my 2 cents.

d800 compressed raw at 14 bit is more like 50mb

there is no such thing as small raw. canon made it up for photographers who dont know better. the d800 provides cropped options and actually implement the feature quite well. Small raw files are demosaiced already and therefore DO NOT still possess the advantage of a raw file

on the sony count SLT's are not SLRs the disadvantages are significant id stay well away

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?

I think this is a great move as Nikon is currently producing the premier DSLR in the world.  If and when Canon develops a new batch of sensors this may change, but currently a FF Nikon is the best you can buy for IQ.

For the lenses, the only glaring weakness is the Nikon 80-400.  It's good optically, but it doesn't have an AFS motor, and is badly in need of an update.  There has been some speculation about Nikon updating the 80-400 to AFS, but AFAIK, nobody knows when we might see the update of this lens.

If you tend to use your 100-400 at 400mm most of the time, you might consider just getting a Nikon AF-S 300 f4, and the matched 1.4 TC you have on your list.  The 300 f4 lenses for both Nikon and Canon are excellent lenses, sharp wide open, and sharp with a 1.4 TC.

Good luck, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads