Changing from Canon to Nikon, am I forgetting something?

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,449Gear list
Like?
Re: OP--yes, the Nikon flash system is ...
In reply to ToTheEnd, Nov 29, 2012

ToTheEnd wrote:

Could you please be more specific on that as I do studio shoots from time to time (with Elinchrom stuff)?

On the Canon, I generally select Tv mode and stay in the 1/60 to 1/80 area... what is the issue with the Nikon?

Thanks,

T

-- hide signature --

If you are using studio lighting...no issue I guess.  not sure.  But with the hotshoe flash, ouch.  I used to shoot my Canon with about 1/3 light coming from the flash, 2/3 ambient.  Nikon decides in the body what you're gonna get...you can't change the ratio.  Only the total amt. of light.  hate that.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,685Gear list
Like?
Yeah, Sony.

Why change one dinosaur for another ?

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57
ToTheEnd
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Re: Yeah, Sony.
In reply to Ron Poelman, Nov 29, 2012

Ron Poelman wrote:

Why change one dinosaur for another ?

Answer to almost same question in this thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50371812

T

-- hide signature --
ToTheEnd
Like?
In reply to Kodachrome200, Nov 29, 2012

Well, don't know how to say it differently but I just connect the wireless flash remote control to my "flash shoe" on the 5D and flashes flash (one master and one or two slaves). I also have a wire that is very useful when battery of the wireless is dead that I connect directly to the master flash... and it acts the same.

Hope that answer the question...

T

-- hide signature --
amosf
Contributing MemberPosts: 680Gear list
Like?
Doesn't make much sense to me.

Doesn't seem like enough difference to make such a change. See plenty of good shots made with Canon and Nikon - or Sony, whatever. I don't think this will be a magic fix.

amosf's gear list:amosf's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,685Gear list
Like?
Re: Yeah, Sony. So, lets not take the picture grabbing abilities

of an SLT into consideration, let's worry about possible corporate rejection ?

That'll give me better photos, cause I know my camera maker loves me !

The very fact that Sony can spread the load over divisions make Nikon way more vulnerable.

Nikon continue to play catch up in a world geared to innovation and (only) just pump out products rather than breakthroughs.

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57
nikkorwatcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?
In reply to jonrobertp, Nov 29, 2012

Can someone link to a full description of the supposed problem of Nikon balancing TTL with ambient? I have yet to explore this with hotshoe flashes. No flash exposure compensation? Is this a problem of really effecting it, or the way you need to go about it on the menus and flashes?

Paljas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,331
Like?
Re: Changing from Canon to Nikon, am I forgetting something?

ToTheEnd wrote:

Hello all!

Long time... and lot of news. To make a long story short, I'm tired of Canon after having spent 10 or 15 years with it. Basically, very poor handling of AF with the 5DmII over 4 years and the price hike for the 5DmIII definitely convinced me that this company doesn't deserve any additional money from my side.

I'm turning to the community as, to be perfectly honest, I don't know Nikon. Of course, I read reviews and as Nikon is one of the main competitor of Canon, I believe they make great stuff. As I don't know this brand very well, I want to make sure I'm not forgetting something.

This is my actual Canon material:

Canon SL580EX II Speedlite Flash

Canon Objektiv EF 16-35mm, f/2.8L II USM

Canon Objektiv EF 50mm f/1.2L USM

Canon Extender EF 1.4x II

Canon EOS 5D MKII, 21 Megapixel

Canon Objektiv EF 24-70mm, f/ 2.8 L USM

Canon Objektiv EF 100-400mm, f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Canon RS-80 N3

Canon RC-5

And I want to take this:

NIKON AF-S 14-24mm F/2.8G ED

NIKON AF-S 50mm F/1.4G

Nikon D800, 36.3 MP Body

NIKON AF-S 24-70mm F/2.8G ED

NIKON AF VR 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6D ED

NIKON MC-DC2

NIKON ML-L3

I don't need a Nikon Flash as now I have access to pro flashes (and D800 comes with a small flash anyway), don't need an extender and the 50mm 1.4 should be enough vs the Canon 1.2!

Now, is the remote MC-DC2 compatible with the D800? (not clear on the website)

As for lenses... to say the least, I found it very difficult to understand the naming convention of Nikon! Are those lenses OK? Are they equivalent to Canon L serie?

Thanks,

T

Probably won't make you a better photographer. But maybe a happier poorer one.

Also don't forget to check on any potential tax consequences.

-- hide signature --

Observing dreaming seeking

ToTheEnd
Like?
Re: Yeah, Sony. So, lets not take the picture grabbing abilities
In reply to Ron Poelman, Nov 29, 2012

I don't see Sony revolutionize anything. Too big, too slow, too lame for a lot things. To me, those companies are also followers even if they have a big footprint over plenty industries/sectors.

Future is definitely mobile and that is a market where Sony is struggling if not losing. Of course, NiCanon are not better in this area but photography is a core business for them and even if they fail tomorrow, the customer base is large enough to sustain degradation over a long period of time (look at how long people keep lenses). If Sony stops photography tomorrow or completely switches to something else, all material will be worthless from one day to another.

T

-- hide signature --
ToTheEnd
Like?
Re: bravo...
In reply to Paljas, Nov 29, 2012

That kind of message is exactly why forums overtime exasperated me.

This 5DmII has been the worse camera I ever had in terms of AF. Getting 40% of your pictures blurry after a shooting is not being a bad photographer but having to deal with a reflex that has some serious flaws in its conception. It makes me shoot 3 times more and refocus constantly in order to get 2 or 3 good shots from one scene.

So, to take your sentence I would say: this new stuff will not make me a better photographer but for sure, it will provide a better output and less frustration. At the end, it is worse the 2k I'm going to lose in the process.

T

-- hide signature --
xtranch
Regular MemberPosts: 344Gear list
Like?

I sold most of my Canon gear except a 5d and 24 1.4 in July and got the Nikon d800. I am using Zeiss lenses for landscapes, cant be more pleased with the results. just had to learn how to manual focus in live view.

xtranch's gear list:xtranch's gear list
Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/21 ZM Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM +5 more
BrettSD
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?

ToTheEnd wrote:

Sure but as the D800 is almost 20% cheaper, I'm not whiling to wait much longer as all my shootings result in a good 30% to 40% of blurry pictures. VERY frustrating and driving me mad after each shooting whatever I try.

T

-- hide signature --

You can get the 5dmiii and the D800 for the same price now.  In fact, I got my 5dmiii new for less than the price that the d800 usually goes for.   Keep an eye on http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?board=67.0 and you'll get a deal.

-- hide signature --

www.headshotsnyc.com
www.gothamfamilyphotos.com
www.nyweddingphotos.com

BrettSD's gear list:BrettSD's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Paljas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,331
Like?
Re: bravo...

ToTheEnd wrote:

That kind of message is exactly why forums overtime exasperated me.

This 5DmII has been the worse camera I ever had in terms of AF. Getting 40% of your pictures blurry after a shooting is not being a bad photographer but having to deal with a reflex that has some serious flaws in its conception. It makes me shoot 3 times more and refocus constantly in order to get 2 or 3 good shots from one scene.

So, to take your sentence I would say: this new stuff will not make me a better photographer but for sure, it will provide a better output and less frustration. At the end, it is worse the 2k I'm going to lose in the process.

T

-- hide signature --

Maybe I need to recant.

It may well make you a better, happier and slightly poorer photographer.

Good luck and don't forget to enjoy life and your photography.

-- hide signature --

Observing dreaming seeking

tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,475Gear list
Like?

Meh, all that work just to get the same photos?  Just get the 5Dmk3.   I know you think it is too expensive, but it is cheaper than the time and money you will waste selling Canon stuff and buying all Nikon.

jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,449Gear list
Like?
In reply to nikkorwatcher, Nov 29, 2012

nikkorwatcher wrote:

Can someone link to a full description of the supposed problem of Nikon balancing TTL with ambient? I have yet to explore this with hotshoe flashes. No flash exposure compensation? Is this a problem of really effecting it, or the way you need to go about it on the menus and flashes?

The fact that no one is answering this...confirms my statement.  But hey, go to a shop where there is a knowledgable Nikon guy behind the counter, and ask him.  I did.  Got my answer. As I stated.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,223
Like?
Re: As an uninterested observer.....

ToTheEnd wrote:

Good point. I chose Nikon because fundamentally, cameras are one of their core Business (64% of revenues comes out of Imaging Products).

Statistics of a company is a ​poor​ reason to choose a brand to switch to.  You'll have far less hassle by staying with the gear you have.  36 vs. 21 MP is not a lot of difference which requires printing very large to try and see a difference ​and​ be very close to said very large print!

nikkorwatcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?
In reply to jonrobertp, Nov 29, 2012

jonrobertp wrote:

The fact that no one is answering this...confirms my statement. But hey, go to a shop where there is a knowledgable Nikon guy behind the counter, and ask him. I did. Got my answer. As I stated.

???????????????????????

Is there anybody that thinks this is a real answer?

pixelless
Contributing MemberPosts: 598
Like?
In reply to nikkorwatcher, Nov 29, 2012

About the list.... I would cross out the 80-400VR for sure. I would also cross out the 50 1.4G (and the 1.8G, unless you want to save some cash here). Would get a 70-200VR2 + TC and a Sigma 50 1.4.

About the flash, I think I missed the question... Nikon flash is pretty simple to use. But I only shoot in M mode and iTTL. What is it that you can´t do?

Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 744Gear list
Like?
In reply to pixelless, Nov 30, 2012

the sigma 50mm 1.4 is a junk lens that doesnt really cost anything less the than the oem. corner sharpness is a disaster. stay well away. I will say again the 50mm f1.8 g is actually the sharpest 50mm nikkor lens and since the 1.4 is best 1.8 and up its not worth it. still the nikkor 1.4 is a good lens the sigma is not be very aware

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
pixelless
Contributing MemberPosts: 598
Like?
In reply to Kodachrome200, Nov 30, 2012

Well... it is faster, has less distortion, less vigneting, more contrast, way faster AF and nicer bokeh. The 1.8G is a bit sharper towards the corners, lighter and cheaper. I guess it depends on the usage.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads