More - SATA to ESATA

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions
tom graham
Contributing MemberPosts: 790
Like?
More - SATA to ESATA
Nov 28, 2012

Hi All,
This to add a little more info regarding my adventure adding ESATA capability to my PC. (And FWIW my PC has a Gigabayte mobo GA-P35-DS3L, and OS is W2K).

Reference previous thread here a few days ago - about my initial problem and fix. - http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50329662

After getting esata to work, data transfer speed seemed slower than I expected. The esata enclosure was a Sabrent UEIS7. The HDD inside a Seagate 500G sata. I found some disk/drive speed check programs, HD Speed, HD_Tach, and DriveSpeedChecker to run for speed testing. The Sabrent esata did not preform even as well as its USB capability!!! Also with Sabrent on the loading of "Partition Commander" it would not load but hang. BTW, I connected the Seagate directly into PC (sata to sata) and it performs a 30% better than the PC's other (older) sata HDDs.
So I got another esata enclosure to try. A NexStar3 model NST-360SU-BL. It works great on esata. As fast as Seagate did when PC connected sata-sata. It also allows Partition Commander to boot and show as a drive.

FWIW, the NexStar3 does not have a cooling fan, but it is aluminium case. After two days the Seagate temperature inside is around 40C. Running same as the internal PC drives, at around 40C.

Tom

pthoutex
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Re: More - SATA to ESATA
In reply to tom graham, Nov 28, 2012

This is the enclosure I am using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173042

It does have a fan, so it keeps pretty cool, but you need to make sure that everything works as it's supposed to right out of the box.  i have 2 of these cases, and on 1 of them only the USB connection work, the eSATA port did not - I did not use the eSATA port at the beginning and did not realize that it didn't work.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tom graham
Like?
In reply to pthoutex, Nov 28, 2012

Thanks pthoutex

I looked at you newegg link and that Rosewill enclosure looks exactly looks like my Sabrent. Only diff is Sabrent also has an HDD Pata capability.   Sabrent is impressively constructed, I'd bet a truck could run over it with no damage to HDD inside!!  I did not try the Sabrent until way past return date, so like yours mine also has bad esata controller. But since USB is fast and has both HDD Pata and Sata connection, probably worth keeping.

My Sabrent also has fan, but the little air filter is on the fans exhaust side (blowing out)!!! Yours also?? But easy to flip fan over so fan intake is through circular filter. Same screw mounts and fan power cable long enough.

Regarding cooling, I always thought fan better. But the MaxStar3 does not have a fan so evidently the conduction of HDD heat to the aluminum case keeps it cool. I just ran writes to the NaxStar3 HDD (Seagate) for total of about 8 mins. The HDD temp rose from 35C to 40C. My PC internal HDD are 40C. Also, the sata-esata write time to MaxStar3 for a PC internal 9.6GB (9 point 6 Gig Bytes) folder of 463 files took 3min42sec.

Tom

pthoutex
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
In reply to tom graham, Nov 29, 2012

I won't be surprised if your Sabrent and my Rosewill were made by the same factory, whoever the importer just slap whatever brand on them!

My fan also blows out, but isn't that what it's supposed to do, i.e. to take out the hot temperature generated by the HDD?  I am not sure

Wow, your write speed is blazing fast compared to mine, I think mine only writes around 4.5 GB per second.  I use my external drive to clone/backup my 2TB internal drive using the Casper 7.0 backup software.

tom graham
Like?
In reply to pthoutex, Nov 29, 2012

pthoutex wrote:

Wow, your write speed is blazing fast compared to mine, I think mine only writes around 4.5 GB per second. I use my external drive to clone/backup my 2TB internal drive using the Casper 7.0 backup software.

4.5GB per sec???  Don't think so.

Here's one of the drive tests I used (none of the three agreed with one another).  Named HD_Speed

http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=20&cmd=download&pid=1&lang=eng

Here is a screen shot of HD_Speed testing the NaxStar3.

Note read speed is 101MB per sec.  Or .101GB per sec. (point 101 GB/sec).

tom

skyglider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,004Gear list
Like?
In reply to tom graham, Nov 29, 2012

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your interesting update. Were you able to return the Sabrent enclosure?

The Sabrent enclosure must be a dog. Probably why the 6 foot SATA to eSATA cable didn't work. Bet the NexStar3 enclosure would have worked with the 6 foot cable, albeit with possible retries due to data errors caused by the long cable.

Glad to hear that your eSATA drive is flying now :-),
Sky

EDIT:  Hmmm, the emoticon doesn't work.  Displays the text version instead of a graphics version.  I did insert it using the emoticon option provided with the compose text box.

tom graham
Like?
In reply to skyglider, Nov 29, 2012

Sky - I had the Sabrent for 6 weeks before I got around to trying it, past the deadline for returns to Frys.  But since it has both PATA and SATA HDD connectors and good USB speed I feel ok about keeping it.  I still have several PATA drives.

Wish I had thought of trying the 6 foot sata-esata cable with MaxStar3.    Maybe I will next time I have the PC case open.   But anyway using an adapter plate is the way to do it.  A cable hanging out of the PC is asking for it to be yanked and ruining that PC sata socket or worse cracking the mobo.  And I did the adapter plate like you did, took an old PC plastic drive hole plate, cut opening for esata connector and mounted on front of PC.

Tom

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads