Pentax Adapter Q for K-mount Lenses in stock.

Started Nov 27, 2012 | Discussions
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 26,003
Like?
Pentax Adapter Q for K-mount Lenses in stock.
Nov 27, 2012

The Pentax Adapter Q for K-mount Lenses is in stock at B&H. I just ordered one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891530-REG/Pentax_Adapter_Q_for_K_mount.html

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Pentax K-m (K2000)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
brandrx
Like?
Re: Pentax Adapter Q for K-mount Lenses in stock.
In reply to brandrx, Nov 27, 2012

I got an email from B&H that stated there was an error and the item is not in stock.

Ron

-- hide signature --

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
snostorm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,011Gear list
Like?

Hi Ron,

They've actually been in stock at Crutchfield for some time -- apparently they're the only one that actually got a few. . .Last time I looked, they showed "Low Stock".

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_815Q2K/Pentax-Q-to-K-Lens-Adapter.html

You might even be able to get $20 off with coupon code "3A172" -- it's worth a try. . .

A few on PF have gotten them, and reports have been good so far.

I've been waiting for my local B&M store to get one -- I've decided to, when reasonable, buy locally. I even delayed my Black Friday order for a K-5 IIs to give them a shot, but they weren't interested, so I went ahead and placed the order with B&H.

Scott

snostorm's gear list:snostorm's gear list
Pentax K-3
GeoffNS
Contributing MemberPosts: 566
Like?

Hi Ron, Did you also get the tripod mount, or is it included with this Pentax adapter? I find the tripod mount on my Made in China K to Q Adapter is often useful with my old lens.

Regards, Geoff.

Jack Simpson
Forum ProPosts: 11,022Gear list
Like?
In reply to GeoffNS, Nov 27, 2012

GeoffNS wrote:

Hi Ron, Did you also get the tripod mount, or is it included with this Pentax adapter? I find the tripod mount on my Made in China K to Q Adapter is often useful with my old lens.

Regards, Geoff.

Good question Geoff, I was wondering if Ron had ordered the 'tripod mount' as well

I guess I gotta get my (K-Q Adapter) order in, as well ................ with the tripod mount

Cheers,

Jack

-- hide signature --

STREET PHOTOGRAPHY DOCUMENTARY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkHKP4Gnd0
(*UPDATED NOV 16th*)MY BLOG.... www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com
****MY EMAIL ADDRESS IN IS MY 'VIEW PLAN'****
It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing

Jack Simpson's gear list:Jack Simpson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-r Pentax K-50 +3 more
snostorm
Like?
In reply to GeoffNS, Nov 27, 2012

Hi Geoff,

FYI, the Pentax K to Q adapter will take either the DA* 300 or DA* 60-250 tripod foot (they're slightly different heights apparently, though interchangeable as far as how they attach to the tripod collar on these lenses). Nobody at Pentax seems to know how to get the foot alone yet. There is no rotating collar on the K to Q adapter, so you'd have to rotate the head clamp to go from landscape to portrait, or use an L bracket. I don't know this for a fact, but I'll be surprised if the Pentax foot is less than $50.

It's been reported that the Pentax K to Q adapter is 65mm OD, so the Canon 70-200 f4 L Chinese knock off tripod collars should fit the adapters, but might need a little spacing (they are advertised to be 66mm ID). At $7-$20 usually, these will probably be a better bet -- but examine the descriptions. Some are plastic, and some are all metal -- the metal ones are more expensive, but probably more durable. All of these, for me at least, would be preferable to the Pentax foot because they can be rotated -- also the tripod collars can possibly be used on the lenses themselves instead of just on the adapter. This could allow you better balance on the tripod head and less stress on the adapter lens mount.

Scott

Pentax K-3
phil_t
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
In reply to brandrx, Nov 28, 2012

Mine shipped from B&H today. I suspect that pre-orders chewed up their initial allocation. I'm hoping my 60-250 tripod adapter will work.

GeoffNS
Contributing MemberPosts: 566
Like?
In reply to snostorm, Nov 28, 2012

Hi Scott, Thanks for your detailed reply. As always, your expertise is most impressive and your advice very helpful.  I have a DA*300 and could use the tripod foot from it with a Pentax K to Q adapter if I ever acquire one. Rotating between landscape and portrait would not be too important for me as don't change orientation often and when I do my Manfrotto Ball Head is easy to adjust. (I do however appreciate the option on the DA*300)  I always use the tripod mount on that lens as, frankly, I'm concerned that the inexpensive Cirrus adapter would possibly break under the weight of a heavy lens. The steel lens mounting ring on the adapter  appears at first glance to be secured to the black anodized housing with three screws, but on closer examination you can see that one screw is aligned with the slot in the housing for the aperture adjustment pin, so it actually doesn't connect with the housing. I think that the aperture adjustment feature must have been added as a design change and the position of the mounting screws was not considered. These screws are really tiny, I've seen bigger ones in wrist watches.  But I have had no problems with the adapter. It's worked well with my DA limited lenses which, as you know, are small, lightweight,  pancake type. Balance has been OK with them, but would probably not be for heavier lens.

Have you experiences situations where the shutter in the adapter was an important advantage?

Best regards, Geoff.

snostorm
Like?
In reply to GeoffNS, Nov 28, 2012

GeoffNS wrote:

Have you experiences situations where the shutter in the adapter was an important advantage?

Hi Geoff,

I don't have the Pentax adapter yet, so I can't say from an experienced standpoint. There are some very long shots that I've made with the JR adapter that I have that might be showing some rolling shutter effect (what should have been straight lines that were slightly wavy) even though the shutter speed was relatively high, but I can't confirm this without taking a similar shot with the Pentax adapter and comparing them. This is just nit picking though as I was really looking for problems. . . and probably 99.9% of people looking at the shots wouldn't have noticed. I really don't think there will be much advantage for super tele shooting with the Q.

I'll ramble a little here. . .The area where the shutter in the adapter will make a significant difference for me is in macro shooting with adapted lenses and flash. I like to shoot very small critters handheld with flash. The Q with adapted dedicated macro lenses is, on paper, made for this. The crop factor gives an apparent 3.6x magnification advantage over APS-C (the magnification is the same 1:1, but the 3.6x crop advantage fills the frame with a much smaller subject, so printed at the same size, the Q image looks close to a what a 4:1 shot would from an APS-C camera with the same lens. This is a big advantage in a number of ways. I can either shoot at MFD and get a greater apparent magnification, or I can shoot from farther away, get the same apparent magnification as 1:1 on APS-C, but deeper DOF (DOF increases as subject distance increases) andhave the additional advantages that longer working distances give -- less subject intimidation and less extreme angles (and more options) for on-camera flash. The Q + adapter + my D FA 100/2.8 Macro weighs about the same as my K-5 body alone, and the whole Q package is obviously smaller. Handheld critter macro shooting usually puts me in very awkward positions, and the smaller lighter gear will make a big difference (as will the LCD VF with Focus Peaking). I'll also be shooting the Q at larger apertures because the lens will become diffraction limited at much faster apertures than with my K-5 (soon to be a K-5 IIs ) This will allow me to use much less powerful flash (read smaller and lighter also)

The problem, that I can't solve practically with 3rd party adapters, is the default to electronic shutter. This causes the flash sync to go to 1/13 sec. It's virtually impossible to make the flash dominate the exposure outdoors in daylight at 1/13. Freezing camera shake and subject motion are the main reasons to use flash in macro shooting, and to achieve these benefits, the flash has to become the dominant light source so I get an effective shutter speed of faster than 1/1000 (the flash duration). With my K-5, I can use ISO 80, f16, and the max flash sync speed (1/180) to counter the ambient light, but at ISO 125, and diffraction limiting at f8, and 1/13, I'd need about another 3 stops to accomplish this with the Q. I've tried f16, and the images are very soft and the LCD/EVF was too dark to be very useful for the required critical MF. The same problem presented itself when I tried ND filters to make up the difference. -- So it could be done, but not practically.

With the shutter in the Pentax adapter, I should be able to use up to 1/250 with external flash, and the max 1/1000 with the pop up. This should make it easy. . .and worth the extra cost of the Pentax adapter -- for me, of course -- YMMV.

Sorry for the long post.

Scott

Pentax K-3
brandrx
Like?
Scott...
In reply to snostorm, Nov 29, 2012

Hi Scott,

Perhaps you can figure out some way to bounce from the onboard flash when doing macro. At least it could be an interesting experiment.

BTW: I just got an email from B&H that said my K-Q adapter has shipped.

Ron

-- hide signature --

snostorm
Like?
Ron. . .
In reply to brandrx, Nov 29, 2012

Hi Ron,

I've already got a plan, and have most of the stuff to build it.

I'm going to use a plastic mirror placed in front of the onboard flash head at a 45° angle. This will totally block any forward light and reflect it up at a 90° angle. Then I'll have an adjustable angle bounce card that extends over the flash head to bounce the light forward and down.

I got the idea from the Demb Pop up Flip it that I recently got for my DSLRs (a very nice accessory BTW).

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/popup/

After trying just about all of the external flash modifiers out there, I settled on his original Flip it with diffuser panel a long time ago, and this is essentially a miniature of that, set up to work with a pop up flash. The Q flash is a totally different configuration, so I decided to make one that would fit it.

I picked up a couple of small plexiglass mirrors from the American Science Store for $1.50 ea, so all I need to do is cut them up, and figure out the best way to make a hinge for the bounce card.

Very good news about the adapter. I have a standing order at my local B&M camera store for the first one they get -- so far, they've been getting the run around from Pentax as to when they will be shipping it. It's okay if there's some delay, not exactly critter weather out there, so I've got lots of time to experiment before I really need it.

Scott

Pentax K-3
brandrx
Like?
Scott...
In reply to snostorm, Nov 29, 2012

That Demb Pop up Flip It is a cool item. I might get myself one of them one of these days.

I hope your new idea pans out.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads