About to buy camera for wife

Started Nov 27, 2012 | Discussions
adam1024
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Re: About to buy camera for wife
In reply to Nikeman123, Nov 28, 2012

so you are ok with Ti3? Then why don't you just go with it?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
adam1024
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to adam1024, Nov 28, 2012

adam1024 wrote:

so you are ok with Ti3? Then why don't you just go with it?

Sorry,T3i, it's a good choice

Nikeman123
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
In reply to adam1024, Nov 28, 2012

thanks for all the help guys. I am still indecisive and am thinking we will go look at them etogether so she can pick. She will be the one using it most of the time after all. We will before Christmas so she can use it Christmas morning. I have learned aa lot so maybe I can ghetto ghee decide.

Nikeman123
Like?
In reply to Nikeman123, Nov 29, 2012

just discovered Sony a57. Now I tend to be fluctuating between the 5100 and the t3i. I have never been a huge Sony fan and honestly didnt know they even made cameras until now. Thoughts?

Nikeman123
Like?

okay guys. I really want to surprise the wife with a camera and I know she won't buy a good one because she will feel guilty about the price. Anyway the D5100 keeps selling in all the bundles but for some reason its available in one bundle with a bag, extra lens, and a memory card for $786 after tax which is more than I wanted to spend but at best buy I get 18 months with no interest. Can anyone talk me out of it?  Only thing I wish it had was the 24mp that the 3200 has but other than that I like the camera. I'm assuming this is a nice step up from the Nikon cool pix p90 that she has right?

Bjorn_L
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,457Gear list
Like?

Nikeman123 wrote:

okay guys. I really want to surprise the wife with a camera and I know she won't buy a good one because she will feel guilty about the price. Anyway the D5100 keeps selling in all the bundles but for some reason its available in one bundle with a bag, extra lens, and a memory card for $786 after tax which is more than I wanted to spend but at best buy I get 18 months with no interest. Can anyone talk me out of it? Only thing I wish it had was the 24mp that the 3200 has but other than that I like the camera. I'm assuming this is a nice step up from the Nikon cool pix p90 that she has right?

What is the other lens?

Do you like the memory card and bag?

In other words, do you think you are getting good value with the items added to the bundle?

As for the difference between the d3200 & the d5100.... you are unlikely to really care after a few days.  16mp is still 14mp more than 99% of the display devices these photos are viewed on.  Only the rare very large output or highly cropped image has any benifit from the extra MP.

The d5100 will blow her away with what she can do AFTER she learns to use it.  Initially it will seem "nice" but not "WOW".  But this is not a fault of the d5100 but the nature of going from a P&S to a DSLR.  A DSLR rewards users for taking the time to learn how things work but this takes time.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,183Gear list
Like?

Nikeman123 wrote:

okay guys. I really want to surprise the wife with a camera and I know she won't buy a good one because she will feel guilty about the price. Anyway the D5100 keeps selling in all the bundles but for some reason its available in one bundle with a bag, extra lens, and a memory card for $786 after tax which is more than I wanted to spend but at best buy I get 18 months with no interest. Can anyone talk me out of it? Only thing I wish it had was the 24mp that the 3200 has but other than that I like the camera. I'm assuming this is a nice step up from the Nikon cool pix p90 that she has right?

Depends what lens it's bundled with. 18-55VR would be fine for starters, 75-300 not. As to whether it's the right camera, you will find out on Dec 25th when she opens it!! You are sure she wants a DSLR, right? If so then it's unlikely she will be dissapointed. Any DSLR you buy her will take some time with practice to get the hang of it. Most of your dlllema is down to your good lady's wants & your budget. If she gets the bug, the spending has only just begun!! More lenses for specific tasks, external / macro flash, GOOD tripod & monopod. Take it from me, it's well worth it. I never thought I would find a hobby to replace golf. My wife never had any interest in golf except to drive the cart when on holiday, but she has bought her own bridge camera & comes out with me & it's great. I very much hope you make your choice soon, & she is happy with it. I am 100% sure she will.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
Nikeman123
Like?
In reply to happysnapper64, Nov 29, 2012

I found another bundle without the bag or memory card. You guys already said the extra lens wasn't the best but I think for someone who has never had the option to choose a lens will like it. It's the

Model: 55-200mm with VR  •   SKU: 8565368

Nikeman123
Like?

I found another bundle without the bag or memory card. You guys already said the extra lens wasn't the best but I think for someone who has never had the option to choose a lens will like it. It's the

Nikon - 55-200mm Vibration Reduction Zoom Lens for Nikon DX SLR Cameras
Model: 55-200mm with VR • SKU: 8565368

Can someone tell me how big of a jump this is from the Nikon p90?

happysnapper64
Like?

Nikeman123 wrote:

Nikon - 55-200mm Vibration Reduction Zoom Lens for Nikon DX SLR Cameras
Model: 55-200mm with VR • SKU: 8565368

Can someone tell me how big of a jump this is from the Nikon p90?

I have only used Canon, someone like our friend Bjorn who uses Nikon gear will give you the heads up on the lenses. As for the jump from the p90, if your wife has taken some good shots with the p90, does she know how she achieved those results, or was it a matter of putting the camera on Auto & snapping away? The thing about a DSLR is that it has modes other than Auto, & scene modes. Namely Aperture priority, where you set the aperture & the camera sets the shutter speed required. Shutter priority lets you set the shutter speed & the camera sets the aperture it thinks you need. Programme setts both aperture & shutter speed but you can shift the combination to produce an acceptable exposure. In all the above you have to set your own ISO setting. Then there is Manual, where all the settings are done by you. That's where the fun starts! If she understands these settings relate to each other, or if she is keen to learn, then I believe the choice of camera is, up to a point, not that important. They are all good enough.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
BobSC
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,292
Like?

You can read the review on Thom Hogan's website where he compares it to the 70-300 and 55-300. By his experience they are all good lenses with legitimate reasons.

I don't have the 55-200, but I find it's size and weight appealing.

I think I will be getting the 18-105 though, as a single lens solution, and just not have anything between 100 and 200 when I travel. I rarely use much beyond 100.

If you have the option of getting the camera with the 18-105 instead of 18-55 & 55-200 you might consider that.

Nikeman123
Like?

i bought the d5100 bundle. Extra lens actually had a lot of 4 and 5 star reviews on amazon so its done now. If she doesn't like it atleast she knows she can return it easily or exchange it.

Bjorn_L
Like?

Nikeman123 wrote:

i bought the d5100 bundle. Extra lens actually had a lot of 4 and 5 star reviews on amazon so its done now. If she doesn't like it atleast she knows she can return it easily or exchange it.

The 55-200 vr is a good lens, well reviewed and much loved by those who prefer a smaller, lighter kit.  There is a 55-200 without VR this is an older and not as interesting lens.  It is not the lack of stabilization but the lesser optics of that lens.

Even people who eventually upgrade to the 70-300vr often keep their 55-200vr for those days they feel like traveling light.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
Nikeman123
Like?
In reply to BobSC, Dec 1, 2012

going to pick up the d5100 tomorrow. I think she is going to love this camera. I havreally persistent about us not getting each other anything this year and to just focus on our daughter and family members so she is not expecting a thing from me. She even said today that we should at least spend $20 on each other just so we can have something to open. Lol. She's either going to be really mad or really excited.

Jasonsmom
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?
In reply to Nikeman123, Dec 1, 2012

Nikeman123 wrote:

going to pick up the d5100 tomorrow. I think she is going to love this camera. I havreally persistent about us not getting each other anything this year and to just focus on our daughter and family members so she is not expecting a thing from me. She even said today that we should at least spend $20 on each other just so we can have something to open. Lol. She's either going to be really mad or really excited.

Up till this last statement I was with the guys saying you should give her a coupon for the camera, but if this is what she is expecting and you want her to get a nice camera, I think you made the right choice.  It will be a little harder to be mad at you with that camera in hand.  I just bought the D5100 for myself yesterday (7-10 shipping days) and think it was the best choice.

Now you have something to start at for each subsequent holidays.  There is always something that can go with a camera.  Let me tell you to start at Jo Totes for some amazing looking camera bags (look like purses).   When is her birthday?

happysnapper64
Like?
In reply to Nikeman123, Dec 1, 2012

Nikeman123 wrote:

How about sending in a pic of her reaction?

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

Nikeman123
Like?
In reply to happysnapper64, Dec 24, 2012

Alright. She opened the d5100 today and she loves it. One thing I noticed that's kind of annoying is that it did not come with a string to keep the lens cap attached to the camera. Is this normal?  That thing is sure to get lost if its not attached!  I also ended up getting her an 8gb eye-fi sd card that I have not programmed yet.

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
In reply to Nikeman123, Dec 24, 2012

It is normal for lens caps to be unattached to the lens.

The habit is simple - taken cap off, put in pocket, put hood on.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Bjorn_L
Like?

Nikeman123 wrote:

Alright. She opened the d5100 today and she loves it. One thing I noticed that's kind of annoying is that it did not come with a string to keep the lens cap attached to the camera. Is this normal? That thing is sure to get lost if its not attached! I also ended up getting her an 8gb eye-fi sd card that I have not programmed yet.

Lens caps are not attached. They do make doohickies to attach them. I've owned dozens of lenses over many years. I've not lost a lens cap yet. Although I know someone who has lost quite a few.  He uses some of those lens cap attachment things now.  Also keep you lhood on your lens at ALL times.  Keep it reversed to store the lens and/or camera.  But faciing forward when in use.  Improves image quality.

-- hide signature --

baloo_buc
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,728Gear list
Like?

Enjoy her pleasure! I'm sure she will love this camera.

You have got one of the best sensors on the marked coupled with an decent body (my gripe with D5100 is the OVF quality, but coming from P&S she will not notice).

Why would you pay so much for a WIFI card. A normal SDHC card and a card reader would have been cheaper and more reliable.

As per card sizes I shot RAW and D5100 is devouring the 8 G cards much faster than my D90.

Still the IQ is very good:

Nikon D5100;ISO100; f/2.8; 1/80 s 35 mm

baloo_buc's gear list:baloo_buc's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads