Why BLACK 5N Costs 100 USD Less Than SILVER 5N

Started Nov 27, 2012 | Discussions
Slynky
Senior MemberPosts: 2,425Gear list
Like?
Why BLACK 5N Costs 100 USD Less Than SILVER 5N
Nov 27, 2012

(from what I see in general on sale sites)

That's basically my question. Is black that undesireable? Surely there is no technical differences...

-- hide signature --

/A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to their country for an amount of "up to and including my life"./
(...from the generation that still uses capital letters and punctuation...)

Slynky's gear list:Slynky's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Nell27
Senior MemberPosts: 2,708
Like?
Re: Why BLACK 5N Costs 100 USD Less Than SILVER 5N
In reply to Slynky, Nov 27, 2012

Slynky wrote:

That's basically my question. Is black that undesireable? Surely there is no technical differences...

-- hide signature --

/A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to their country for an amount of "up to and including my life"./

No difference between the cameras other than color but it does surprise me that the silver would be more expensive.

Usually, if there's a difference in price, silver will be a little less expensive.

Black is considered the most popular color by most people.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Slynky
Like?
In reply to Nell27, Nov 27, 2012

Nell27 wrote:

Slynky wrote:

-- hide signature --

No difference between the cameras other than color but it does surprise me that the silver would be more expensive.

Usually, if there's a difference in price, silver will be a little less expensive.

Black is considered the most popular color by most people.

Thanks for the quick reply. That was my feeling/understanding, too. I mean, I recall some people complaining about the silver color and gave my reasons for preferring it.

I was looking for a "backup" camera (for my existing 5N) at a good "cyber" price. I'm not impressed with the 5R (or NEX 6's lack of touch screen) so I thought I'd make sure I was covered in case the one I have broke or was stolen.

While I was looking, it was evident the silver almost always cost more. I finally ordered a black one from 42nd Street for $359 shipped.

I'll mount my 18-200 on one body permanently and probably put the 50 on the other (since that's the two I use the most).

-- hide signature --

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,207
Like?

I would guess that the dealers get a bigger wholesale discount on the black because they buy in bigger lots.

Slynky
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Nov 27, 2012

D Cox wrote:

I would guess that the dealers get a bigger wholesale discount on the black because they buy in bigger lots.

Quite possibly. That would be one huge difference in discount, though--but I don't know much about the retail business anyway.

-- hide signature --

nelsonal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,455Gear list
Like?

Possibly because of demand from people who use/plan to use them with older chrome lenses?  Generally chrome and black lenses are thought to look better on a silver camera than a black camera.

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,237Gear list
Like?
In reply to nelsonal, Nov 27, 2012

nelsonal wrote:

Possibly because of demand from people who use/plan to use them with older chrome lenses? Generally chrome and black lenses are thought to look better on a silver camera than a black camera.

That was my rationale for getting the silver in the first place. I think it looks better with silver lenses and looks okay with the black lenses. I didn't like the black camera with the silver kit lens attached when I was deciding. I wouldn't have a problem getting the black, but black just seems mundane to me and there was a choice that was priced the same when I bought. If there was a $100 difference and black was cheaper then I'd easily get the black.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Slynky
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Nov 27, 2012

sean lancaster wrote:

nelsonal wrote:

Possibly because of demand from people who use/plan to use them with older chrome lenses? Generally chrome and black lenses are thought to look better on a silver camera than a black camera.

That was my rationale for getting the silver in the first place. I think it looks better with silver lenses and looks okay with the black lenses. I didn't like the black camera with the silver kit lens attached when I was deciding. I wouldn't have a problem getting the black, but black just seems mundane to me and there was a choice that was priced the same when I bought. If there was a $100 difference and black was cheaper then I'd easily get the black.

Yeah, my thinking exactly.

-- hide signature --

Philip Corlis
Contributing MemberPosts: 814Gear list
Like?

Demand and supply - Keep in mind the 5N has been discontinued so what is selling is what's left in the warehouse. I suspect there are more black bodies still sitting on the shelf.

-- hide signature --

Phil
www.PhilCorlis.com
www.FindingBritain.com

Kalabalik
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
In reply to Philip Corlis, Nov 28, 2012

I'm thinking about getting a black body-only NEX-5N from 42nd street photo. It is suspiciously cheap, however. Should I be worried? 42photo seems to be getting very "mixed" reviews around the net.

Kalabalik's gear list:Kalabalik's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Slynky
Like?
In reply to Kalabalik, Nov 29, 2012

Kalabalik wrote:

I'm thinking about getting a black body-only NEX-5N from 42nd street photo. It is suspiciously cheap, however. Should I be worried? 42photo seems to be getting very "mixed" reviews around the net.

OK, here seems to be the deal:

(I sent an email canceling my order because it hasn't shipped yet)

The $359 order is for the store's "brown box" version of the camera. It's NEW BUT when they say it's just the body, it's JUST THE BODY (and maybe a lens cap). No strap, no battery, no booklet, etc. The SONY-boxed version with the SONY stuff that normally comes in their package is included. It costs $399 instead of $359.

They say they sell nothing but new items. No refurbished or used. They are a big discount store and try to offer the best prices.

I changed my order to the SONY "version" (like I would get from Sony) so it's now a $399 camera.

FYI.

-- hide signature --

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,237Gear list
Like?
In reply to Slynky, Nov 29, 2012

Ah, I always wondered what the catch is when they can undercut so many other retailers. So, they're removing the extras and selling those with a mark up and profiting even more. Cool for them, but good catch by you. Thanks.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
fotowbert
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137Gear list
Like?
PAL version of 5n from 42nd Street Photo
In reply to Kalabalik, Nov 29, 2012

If you shoot video then be aware of this about 42nd street photo.

• John 

Kalabalik wrote:

I'm thinking about getting a black body-only NEX-5N from 42nd street photo. It is suspiciously cheap, however. Should I be worried? 42photo seems to be getting very "mixed" reviews around the net.

fotowbert's gear list:fotowbert's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more
Slynky
Like?
Re: PAL version of 5n from 42nd Street Photo
In reply to fotowbert, Nov 29, 2012

fotowbert wrote:

If you shoot video then be aware of this about 42nd street photo.

• John

Kalabalik wrote:

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

-- hide signature --

iGirl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,562
Like?
In reply to Slynky, Nov 30, 2012

Buydig on Ebay.com recently had the Sony Alpha NEX 5N + 18-55m f3.5-5.6 kit lens for $429.99

I wasn't looking for one at the time but this seems like a good price.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads