Brutally honest review of the EOS M.

Started Nov 26, 2012 | Discussions
EngineSkull
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Brutally honest review of the EOS M.
Nov 26, 2012

Nice to see someone being honest about this camera. It's a flop, and I can't figure out how Canon justified releasing it. Awesome video, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PJoV9UQ8FE

Lawrencew
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,525Gear list
Like?
Re: Brutally honest review of the EOS M.
In reply to EngineSkull, Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for the link

I guess we can at least look forward to some EOS-M bargains soon as they try to shift some units.

I think I will wait till EOS-M Mk III though.

-- hide signature --

Regards Lawrence My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/lozwilkes/

Lawrencew's gear list:Lawrencew's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
graphikal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,783
Like?
Meh. My summary of the review

1. The camera may fall, because I don't like using a strap or supporting the camera with my left hand or using my opposing digits to securely grip the camera either

2. When I choose to obscure the screen with my thumb, the screen is obscured

3. No onboard flash for that special snapshot look means Canon is late to the snapshot party

4. I don't know the difference between megapixel counts and resolution

5. The EOS-M high ISO performance does not appeal to me, since the sensor is two years old

6. I love the lenses, and they're beautifully built

7. A built-in viewfinder would be nice, just as all the other mirrorless cameras have

8. The camera is not a videographer's dream, only as good as modern DSLRs in that area. Thus this camera is not a good choice purely as a video camera, which it clearly is designed to be

9. Live View mode autofocus is too slow for me and the STM lenses aren't the fastest to focus, and while I didn't test any fast-focusing lenses on the EOS-M (I didn't have time, since I had to make a stop-motion movie about cameras exposing themselves at a party) I therefore conclude that its focusing speed is too slow

10. For the aforementioned reasons, Canon is "left in the dust". Q.E.D.

graphikal
Like?
Aha! YOU'RE A MARKETING TROLL

EngineSkull wrote:

Nice to see someone being honest about this camera. It's a flop, and I can't figure out how Canon justified releasing it. Awesome video, though.

Nice advertisement for your site.  Your posting history shows your true intent here.  Am I correct in assuming that you are Mr. Nichols himself?

10s
10s
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?
Strange lens review :-/ [nt]
 10s's gear list:10s's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +7 more
kevindar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,724Gear list
Like?

I have seen his reviews before.  he tries to be fare, though he is generally not a big fan of canon (he is a nikon shooter himslef if I remember from one of his reviews), but I find him generally objective.

He actually did not hate the camera.  The slow autofocus speed, and lack of evf are big minuses.  Having shot with the nex 5n, I can tell you the experience become a lot better once I bought the EVF for it.  on board flash is noce to have as fill flash primarily, and in the cases of emergency.

As for the sensor goes. I think canon has a very decen low light shooting.  the primary shortfall of canon sensor remains its more limite dynamic range, compared to all cameras using sony sensor.  If you compare the camera to the olympus OMD em5 or sony nex 5N or 6, you would find it a little less compelling.

kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 +23 more
dave_bass5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,907Gear list
Like?

EngineSkull wrote:

What makes the video "awesome"?

dave_bass5's gear list:dave_bass5's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +7 more
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,059Gear list
Like?
Brutally honest defense of the EOS M.
In reply to EngineSkull, Nov 29, 2012

I found the interview entertaining.  I also found the reviewer likeable and his review slightly more insightful of Canon's attitudes and practices that others.

Do I agree?  Generally, yes I do.  Not entirely but mostly.

The EOS-M, when fitted to the 18-55mm f/3.5 IS M-series lens, is actually quite fast.  But all the reviewers (including DPreview.com) have been sampling this camera with the much slower 22mm f/2.0 lens... and that lens really is slow enough (though i have not used that lens myself) to be laughable compared to the competition.  But I did try the 18-55mm lens and it was a smart, quick lens... as noted by others who have tried it.

Now I bought the EOS-M Body-Only which came with the EF Lens mount and so far I only use my EF lenses with this camera.  Each lens operates differently on the Camera.  Some are fast, others are slow.  Most are slower than the 18-55mm lens.  The slowest I've tried is the 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro lens and sadly, that lens is the reason why I purchased the EOS-M... but that speed (or lack of) is not really crippling.

I can take some exceptionally good pictures with the EOS-M using just about any Canon lens but the results I've been getting from the camera are really very, very good.  Ignoring the competition and differences in features and even AF speed, the EOS-M is a great camera.  It has a superb touchscreen (which i did not initially like when it was announced) and it has extremely accurate AF.  It's possible to take the occasional out-of-focus shot but that's rare.  I get a lot of "keepers" from this camera that compacts would have been unable to capture, let alone be capable or rendering in the same manner and with the same visual appeal.

For those who do indoor shots or shots requiring Manual Focus, the EOS-M allows you to zoom into the subject up to 10x to allow you to fine-tune the focus within a fraction of one tenth of a millimeter.  That's fantastic for a live-view camera and of course you can use the same zoomed LCD abilities with the AF switched on as well.

It's a good camera with excellent capability and it will appeal to a lot of different users.  I also think it will be very useful for serious photography enthusiasts who want a bit of creative flexibility as well, without the desire to invest in a full-sized DSLR etc

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +6 more
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,314Gear list
Like?
My brutally honest review of every compact camera released to date.
In reply to EngineSkull, Nov 29, 2012

They suck. For me. Interchangeable or otherwise. For a variety of reasons. For me, stepping down to an APS-C or smaller sensor ain't never going to happen. But isn't that what most reviews are - personal opinion?

Sony got close with the RX1 but a fixed prime lens @35mm is too restrictive. I'd rather see a 24mm lens and crop it to taste than have to shoot two images and stitch. A zoom covering at least 28mm to 50mm would be better but probably wouldn't work on a FF sensor that is supposed to be in a compact package.

By the way, I like this reviewer.

EngineSkull wrote:

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
graphikal
Like?
Re: My brutally honest review of every compact camera released to date.
In reply to Rick Knepper, Nov 29, 2012

Rick Knepper wrote:

By the way, I like this reviewer.

Me too, actually.  He's quite charismatic.  I remember thinking that he should consider dropping the camera stuff and heading to Hollywood.

EngineSkull
Like?
In reply to dave_bass5, Nov 30, 2012

The stop-motion mirrorless party makes it awesome.

EngineSkull
Like?
Re: Aha! YOU'RE A MARKETING TROLL
In reply to graphikal, Nov 30, 2012

graphikal wrote:

EngineSkull wrote:

Nice advertisement for your site. Your posting history shows your true intent here. Am I correct in assuming that you are Mr. Nichols himself?

Nope, I am not Chris. And the EOS M is still a piece of junk. The 18-55 is just as slow as the 22. How do I know? I'm at work using one right now.

graphikal
Like?
Hello again, MARKETING TROLL
In reply to EngineSkull, Nov 30, 2012

EngineSkull wrote:

graphikal wrote:

EngineSkull wrote:

Nice advertisement for your site. Your posting history shows your true intent here. Am I correct in assuming that you are Mr. Nichols himself?

Nope, I am not Chris. And the EOS M is still a piece of junk. The 18-55 is just as slow as the 22. How do I know? I'm at work using one right now.

Your use of this site is dishonest, because you haven't disclosed your connection to the reviewer.  Shame on you.  That's no way to grow a viewership.

graphikal
Like?
a.k.a. "Because I have a financial interest in it"?
In reply to EngineSkull, Nov 30, 2012

EngineSkull wrote:

The stop-motion mirrorless party makes it awesome.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads