LightRoom 4 Fourm--Any Good?

Started Nov 25, 2012 | Discussions
Robert Schoner
Contributing MemberPosts: 959
Like?
LightRoom 4 Fourm--Any Good?
Nov 25, 2012

Hi,

Next Tues (4 DEC)  there will be a LightRoom 4 forum in Sacramento, CA given bt Matt Kloskowski. I never heard of him and wondered if anyone has gone to any of his forums. It's an all day session for $99. I just ordered Lightroom 4 from Amazon for their $79.99 special and was wondering if it's worth it, or can you "self-teach" Lightroom. It looks like it's affiliated with B&H Video.

Thanks,

Bob Schoner

Bill1000Evening
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
Re: LightRoom 4 Fourm--Any Good?
In reply to Robert Schoner, Nov 25, 2012

I think he's part of Kelby's group.

If your brand new to Lr, I would go through the Adobe Lr video tutorials and get-read-study Martin Evenings Lr4 book.  And I would practice on my own.  Don't know if the seminar is for folks who are already familiar with Lr or not, but, I wouldn't want to go to an advanced seminar on Lr as a beginner.  And, I wouldn't spend $100 for a beginners one-day seminar.

Bill1000Evening's gear list:Bill1000Evening's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MrPhotoBob
Senior MemberPosts: 2,589
Like?

Personally, I would not go to the seminar until you know what you are doing in Lightroom.  When I forget something in Lightroom, I just go to YouTube and run this video and videos like it.  This video can get you up and running in Lightroom really quick like you have been using it for quite a while.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGREWqMSUJ0

Give it a look, but have lightroom open while you use it and go back and forth from Lightroom and the video as you watch it.  You could google that speaker and you will find quite a few free presets for Lightroom.  To be honest, the speaker is VERY good.

Jim Hess
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,677
Like?
In reply to MrPhotoBob, Nov 25, 2012

Matt is a good presenter. He has done some courses on Lynda.com. I'm sure that one day seminar would provide you with some good information. But the problem with one-day seminars is that they cram so much information into one day that I find that I forget about 80% of it. Personally, I think spending $25 for a month on Lynda.com would probably give you a much better foundation to work from. And the YouTube videos are good as well. You might also look at Adobe.tv. There are a lot of excellent tutorials there as well. I'm not saying that you shouldn't consider going to that seminar. If you aren't familiar with Lightroom, I think these other alternatives would be better to start with. But if money isn't an issue, and you have the time, I'm sure you would pick up some excellent pointers at the seminar.

Robert Schoner
Contributing MemberPosts: 959
Like?

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I had forgotten about Lynda.com. My employer has an arrangement with them and I can access it for free from home. I went through several of their CS5 tutorials but I did not think about Lightroom.

Thanks,

Bob Schoner

Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,059Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robert Schoner, Nov 26, 2012

Robert Schoner wrote:

Hi,

Next Tues (4 DEC) there will be a LightRoom 4 forum in Sacramento, CA given bt Matt Kloskowski. I never heard of him and wondered if anyone has gone to any of his forums. It's an all day session for $99. I just ordered Lightroom 4 from Amazon for their $79.99 special and was wondering if it's worth it, or can you "self-teach" Lightroom. It looks like it's affiliated with B&H Video.

Thanks,

Bob Schoner

Matt is a good presenter put I would rather buy his Lightroom 4 DVD from KelbyTraining.com than attend a seminar.  It is the same info and with the DVD you can always review.

I second the recommendation for the Martin Evening book on Lightroom 4.  I have looked at several and it is the best I have found.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Clivegriff
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641
Like?

I'm relatively new to Lightroom - and loving it - and i've found the free video tutorials by Julieanne Kost to be invaluable.

http://www.jkost.com

I also agree with earlier posters that on-line self-paced learning might be more suitable for a newbie than a seminar - no matter good the presenter.

MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?

For what it's worth:

I have always found that live presentations are very good if you know enough of the basics to understand and take in all of the information being presented. When I am new to some subject I find that I tend to forget much of what is presented. I guess I can only process so much new information before I reach some kind of overload.

Others have suggested video tutorials and those are fine, but I have always liked the idea of books that allow me to go back over and over again when I have some questions. If you have a Kindle you can "borrow" (that is Amazon's term) some books for free to cover some areas you want to learn about. I have been using Lightroom for about a year now so I am not new to it, but the product is so full of functionality that I felt I knew enough to actually pick up a book and read about it. And, using my Kindle, I found Lightroom 4 Made Easy by Dave Kelly.

It is not one of the popular books (or Amazon would probably not allow free "borrowing") but I have found it full of information I never knew and so it has been very, very helpful for me. You might take a look at it or some of the other books that are around.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads