Cloning a SSD Drive?

Started Nov 25, 2012 | Discussions
Timzee
Contributing MemberPosts: 848
Like?
Cloning a SSD Drive?
Nov 25, 2012

I'd like to clone my primary SSD C drive, but I've heard some claim that if you clone a SSD drive to a regular HD (not another SSD) there can be issues when/if you need to restore the drive from the standard HD to your current of new (replacement) SSD. Doesn't make sense to me, but perhaps I'm missing something?

The C drive I'd like to clone is:

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-CT256M4SSD2/dp/B004W2JL2A

Anyone have experience with this they could share?

Manne
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?
Re: Cloning a SSD Drive?
In reply to Timzee, Nov 25, 2012

Hi Timzee,

It should not be a problem. I  have recently cloned SSD's and HDD's. The program to use Paragon Drive Copy, they have a sale on right now. I found it much easier to use than Acronis, no contest.  I cloned a 1TB HDD to a 80GB SSD, no problem.

Paragon will ignore all empty spaces, only cloning relevant data. When cloning back to your SSD make sure to allow for sufficient free space on your SSD.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Manne
from Wasaga Beach, Ontario CA
mmphoto.zenfolio.com

Manne's gear list:Manne's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Timzee
Like?
In reply to Manne, Nov 25, 2012

Manne wrote:

Hi Timzee,

It should not be a problem. I have recently cloned SSD's and HDD's. The program to use Paragon Drive Copy, they have a sale on right now. I found it much easier to use than Acronis, no contest. I cloned a 1TB HDD to a 80GB SSD, no problem.

Paragon will ignore all empty spaces, only cloning relevant data. When cloning back to your SSD make sure to allow for sufficient free space on your SSD.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Manne
mmphoto.zenfolio.com

Thanks for the input Manne. Also, I've been looking at Paragon software for cloning having used Acronis in the past. No real issues with Acronis but willing to compare other programs.

When I've restored from a cloned HD in the past, I typically just swap out the old HD for the newer clone. That's a good option to have in the case of a HD failure. But if it's just a case of some kind of Windows or HD corruption and both drives are in good shape, I would probably just restore from the clone.

Given the SDD is a bit pricey, I'd prefer to use option 2 (restore from a standard HD clone) rather than having to invest in a 2nd SDD.

I also seem to remember that no matter which route one takes, there will likely be issues with Adobe's activation system requiring you to have to call them and explain what you're trying to do.

Manne
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?
In reply to Timzee, Nov 25, 2012

Timzee wrote:

Manne wrote:

Hi Timzee,

It should not be a problem. I have recently cloned SSD's and HDD's. The program to use Paragon Drive Copy, they have a sale on right now. I found it much easier to use than Acronis, no contest. I cloned a 1TB HDD to a 80GB SSD, no problem.

Paragon will ignore all empty spaces, only cloning relevant data. When cloning back to your SSD make sure to allow for sufficient free space on your SSD.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Manne
mmphoto.zenfolio.com

Thanks for the input Manne. Also, I've been looking at Paragon software for cloning having used Acronis in the past. No real issues with Acronis but willing to compare other programs.

When I've restored from a cloned HD in the past, I typically just swap out the old HD for the newer clone. That's a good option to have in the case of a HD failure. But if it's just a case of some kind of Windows or HD corruption and both drives are in good shape, I would probably just restore from the clone.

Given the SDD is a bit pricey, I'd prefer to use option 2 (restore from a standard HD clone) rather than having to invest in a 2nd SDD.

I also seem to remember that no matter which route one takes, there will likely be issues with Adobe's activation system requiring you to have to call them and explain what you're trying to do.

Did not have any issues with CS5 swapping drives  back and fourth. I did a complete re-install of everything including CS5. Before I cleaned the old drive, I deactivated CS5 under the "Help"

section. Re-installed CS5 on the new system, activated and done. As long as you don't re-install PS you should be O.K. Just the same it doesn't hurt to deactivate, to be on the safe side. Deactivation will not shut down the program.

Office 2010 is a different kettle of fish. Every time you swap drive or make a change to your system you are up for re-activation. It sucks big time.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Manne
mmphoto.zenfolio.com

Manne's gear list:Manne's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Timzee
Like?
In reply to Manne, Nov 26, 2012

Manne wrote:

Did not have any issues with CS5 swapping drives back and fourth. I did a complete re-install of everything including CS5. Before I cleaned the old drive, I deactivated CS5 under the "Help"

section. Re-installed CS5 on the new system, activated and done. As long as you don't re-install PS you should be O.K. Just the same it doesn't hurt to deactivate, to be on the safe side. Deactivation will not shut down the program.

Office 2010 is a different kettle of fish. Every time you swap drive or make a change to your system you are up for re-activation. It sucks big time.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Manne
mmphoto.zenfolio.com

Right-- deactivation being the key. However the last time I had to restore a cloned C drive, the original drive was dead and I was unable to do this. I de/re-activated Adobe Master Suite several times to upgrade a HD or whole computer system.

I did have a problem w/ MSOffice awhile back when reinstalling, but a phone call got things back and running. They need to talk to Adobe to learn how to implement a better activation system! Although I've heard numerous people complain about Adobe as well...

glacierpete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,917
Like?
In reply to Timzee, Nov 26, 2012

Timzee wrote:

I'd like to clone my primary SSD C drive, but I've heard some claim that if you clone a SSD drive to a regular HD (not another SSD) there can be issues when/if you need to restore the drive from the standard HD to your current of new (replacement) SSD. Doesn't make sense to me, but perhaps I'm missing something?

The C drive I'd like to clone is:

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-CT256M4SSD2/dp/B004W2JL2A

Anyone have experience with this they could share?

no problem to use a clone, but you might have to change some parameters in windows, like defragmentation in case you do not a new install.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2727880/en-us

http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1941420

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/246283-14-defrag

There are a lot of how to's for other parameters when you google for it.

happycapitalist
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
In reply to Timzee, Nov 26, 2012

Why do you want to clone from an SSD to a regular hard drive?

Ian Johnston
Contributing MemberPosts: 791Gear list
Like?
In reply to Timzee, Nov 27, 2012

For info:-

I have "Image For Windows" installed on all my PC's and use it to keep backups of my Win7 installations. The backup files are stored on my Raid server. Every now and then a HDD fails so it's just a case of installing a fresh drive and running the restore from a bootable CD (part of the Image for Windows package). As well as using the Windows app you can backup/restore.....i.e. clone from the CD.

It works perfectly on SSD's also.

Ian.

Ian Johnston's gear list:Ian Johnston's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Timzee
Like?
In reply to happycapitalist, Nov 27, 2012

happycapitalist wrote:

Why do you want to clone from an SSD to a regular hard drive?

Much cheaper than buying a SSD. Plus I have a number of HDs on hand that I can use.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads