LX8 coming soon??

Started Nov 25, 2012 | Discussions
Gaze
Contributing MemberPosts: 612
Like?
LX8 coming soon??
Nov 25, 2012

Could these nice prices for the LX7 be an omen for a LX8 to be released next year?  Yeah, I know, it's supposed to be every 2 years for a new Panasonic model right?  In these economic hard times competition is getting fierce fighting for every dollar.  Is the Sony RX100 taking away sales from the Panasonic LX7?

I look at the Apple iPad 3 (the new iPad) which came out last March.  [ Apple usually waits at least a year for the next generation iPad]  Well guess what?  Apple broke that rule and came out with the iPad 4 just a few months later (6 months later I think?) with a faster iPad due to competition.  Apple wanted to remain top dog.

Could the same happen with the Panasonic LX7?  The LX7 already has a fantastic lens, now all they need is to combine it with a larger sensor like the Sony RX100.  Isn't this where the competition is leading?  I really don't know if Panasonic has plans for a bigger sensor for this camera but where else can they go?

Of course I'm just speculating but am I making any sense?  It would not surprise me to see a LX8 next year.  But, for the time being, I'm sticking with my LX5.

Only the strong survive in these economic times.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
cmpman1974
Contributing MemberPosts: 686
Like?
Re: LX8 coming soon??
In reply to Gaze, Nov 25, 2012

There was a whole other thread started on exactly this topic 48 hrs ago or less.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gaze
Like?
In reply to cmpman1974, Nov 25, 2012

Yeah, I see the thread.  Oops, my bad.  Somebody slap me!  Is there anyway I can eliminate this thread?    Anyway, I repost in the other thread .... sorry

Zebooka
Contributing MemberPosts: 606Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gaze, Nov 26, 2012

Nope.

LX8 will be released only in 2014 summer. Panasonic upgrades LX each 2 years.

Such nice prices are because of black Friday week (week of sales in US).

-- hide signature --

Linux photographer == Taiga, Siberia, Russia
My web site - http://zebooka.com

Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?
In reply to Zebooka, Apr 15, 2013

It may come sooner than expected. I am looking forward for a 1.8-2.3 lens with RX100 sensor size : this would be the best pocket camera ever !

Zebooka wrote:

Nope.

LX8 will be released only in 2014 summer. Panasonic upgrades LX each 2 years.

Such nice prices are because of black Friday week (week of sales in US).

-- hide signature --

Linux photographer == Taiga, Siberia, Russia
My web site - http://zebooka.com

James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,613Gear list
Like?
The Lumix LF1
In reply to Gaze, Apr 16, 2013

Gaze wrote:

Could these nice prices for the LX7 be an omen for a LX8 to be released next year?  Yeah, I know, it's supposed to be every 2 years for a new Panasonic model right?  In these economic hard times competition is getting fierce fighting for every dollar.  Is the Sony RX100 taking away sales from the Panasonic LX7?

I look at the Apple iPad 3 (the new iPad) which came out last March.  [ Apple usually waits at least a year for the next generation iPad]  Well guess what?  Apple broke that rule and came out with the iPad 4 just a few months later (6 months later I think?) with a faster iPad due to competition.  Apple wanted to remain top dog.

Could the same happen with the Panasonic LX7?  The LX7 already has a fantastic lens, now all they need is to combine it with a larger sensor like the Sony RX100.  Isn't this where the competition is leading?  I really don't know if Panasonic has plans for a bigger sensor for this camera but where else can they go?

Of course I'm just speculating but am I making any sense?  It would not surprise me to see a LX8 next year.  But, for the time being, I'm sticking with my LX5.

Only the strong survive in these economic times.

It looks like your LX8 is the LF1. Same-sized 1/1.7 sensor camera with built-in EVF. Disappointing, really, in 2013 with the RX100 sitting out there laughing at the competition.

Yes, the LX/LF series is capable, but perception is important, and perception is that the RX100 is beating down the competition, even the competition at lower price points. It's kind of like Samsung cameras. The cameras and lenses are actually pretty good, but the perception is that they are an also-ran and, as a result, the sales reflect the perception.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
trevmar
Senior MemberPosts: 2,385
Like?
Re: The Lumix LF1
In reply to James Pilcher, Apr 16, 2013

The LX7 has much better video than the RX100, but Panasonic crippled it to 30 minute clips, and didn't market the video prowess. So Panasonic made lots of shoot-in-foot decisions, IMO. I doubt that LF1 will reverse any of them.

xi5
xi5
Regular MemberPosts: 330
Like?
In reply to trevmar, Apr 16, 2013

trevmar wrote:

The LX7 has much better video than the RX100, but Panasonic crippled it to 30 minute clips, and didn't market the video prowess. So Panasonic made lots of shoot-in-foot decisions, IMO. I doubt that LF1 will reverse any of them.

What part of the world/television standard are you; PAL or NTSC?

I thought the NTSC/US version of the LX7 spanned AVCHD files/recorded continuously(?)

"Continuous Recordable Time (Motion Pictures)

AVCHD with picture quality set to [PSH]: Approx. 90 min"

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/lx7/specifications.html

Ronomy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,287Gear list
Like?
In reply to xi5, Apr 17, 2013

xi5 wrote:

trevmar wrote:

What part of the world/television standard are you; PAL or NTSC?

I thought the NTSC/US version of the LX7 spanned AVCHD files/recorded continuously(?)

"Continuous Recordable Time (Motion Pictures)

AVCHD with picture quality set to [PSH]: Approx. 90 min"

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/lx7/specifications.html

Also noticed it says in AVCHD recording continues until the memory card is full!  So this can be setup to record continuously.

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Markr041
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,005Gear list
Like?
In reply to James Pilcher, Apr 17, 2013

"The LX7 already has a fantastic lens, now all they need is to combine it with a larger sensor like the Sony RX100."

You cannot combine that specific lens with a larger sensor and have an f1.4 lens with the same specs.

That's the whole point. If even you are missing what the LX7 offers, then Panasonic can only imitate the RX100: a camera with a big sensor and a slow (at tele end), less high quality lens. It is slow to keep it compact; it is lower quality to keep the price reasonable. You simply cannot have a fast lens all the way, a zoom, and a big sensor in a pocketable camera. The lens would have to be much bigger, and much more expensive.

The LX7 is an alternative to the RX100, a different path.

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +1 more
elemenoP
Regular MemberPosts: 228
Like?
In reply to Markr041, Apr 17, 2013

Markr041 wrote:

"The LX7 already has a fantastic lens, now all they need is to combine it with a larger sensor like the Sony RX100."

You cannot combine that specific lens with a larger sensor and have an f1.4 lens with the same specs.

That's the whole point. If even you are missing what the LX7 offers, then Panasonic can only imitate the RX100: a camera with a big sensor and a slow (at tele end), less high quality lens. It is slow to keep it compact; it is lower quality to keep the price reasonable. You simply cannot have a fast lens all the way, a zoom, and a big sensor in a pocketable camera. The lens would have to be much bigger, and much more expensive.

But nobody thought you could stick a 1" sensor in a tiny camera, until Sony did it. So of course the specs on the next Sony model will be better, most likely a better lens since the sensor is already the best in the class. Panasonic has the best in class lens, so they need to improve the sensor. I'm not an optical engineer so I don't understand the challenges and I don't want to, but it just makes sense that these two different paths are going to converge.

eP

Markr041
Like?
In reply to elemenoP, Apr 17, 2013

elemenoP wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

But nobody thought you could stick a 1" sensor in a tiny camera, until Sony did it. So of course the specs on the next Sony model will be better, most likely a better lens since the sensor is already the best in the class. Panasonic has the best in class lens, so they need to improve the sensor. I'm not an optical engineer so I don't understand the challenges and I don't want to, but it just makes sense that these two different paths are going to converge.

eP

What do you mean by a "better" lens? If you mean longer zoom and bigger aperture, that is impossible while maintaining the small size. The NEX series shows that you can put a big sensor in a small body. Fine. But then the NEX zoom or big aperture lenses for that big sensor dwarf the body. Big sensor needs a big lens, unless you limit the zoom (one focal length, for example as on the RX1) or limit the aperture. Sony had  to do both on the RX100. there is no breakthrough technologically.

James Pilcher
Like?
physics
In reply to elemenoP, Apr 17, 2013

elemenoP wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

eP

It is physically impossible to increase the sensor size while maintaining the same f/1.4-2.3 aperture range AND keep a small lens. Bigger sensors require lenses with bigger exit pupils and therefore bigger glass elements. The bigger the glass elements become, the longer the lens becomes because glass can only bend the light path so much.

So, pick two:

• larger sensor
  • fast lens
  • small camera
Cheers!

Jim Pilcher

Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Markr041
Like?
Re: physics
In reply to James Pilcher, Apr 17, 2013

James Pilcher wrote:

elemenoP wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

eP

It is physically impossible to increase the sensor size while maintaining the same f/1.4-2.3 aperture range AND keep a small lens. Bigger sensors require lenses with bigger exit pupils and therefore bigger glass elements. The bigger the glass elements become, the longer the lens becomes because glass can only bend the light path so much.

So, pick two:

• larger sensor
  • fast lens
  • small camera
Cheers!

Jim Pilcher

Exactly. Most of this thread is science fiction.

elemenoP
Regular MemberPosts: 228
Like?
In reply to Markr041, Apr 17, 2013

So is a computer that fits in my pocket. It's ok, I have faith in those engineers. I'll bump this thread next year, or in 20 years....

eP

superstar905
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120
Like?
In reply to elemenoP, May 27, 2013

Bump

elemenoP wrote:

So is a computer that fits in my pocket. It's ok, I have faith in those engineers. I'll bump this thread next year, or in 20 years....

eP

Gaze
Like?
In reply to superstar905, May 27, 2013

I can't believe after 6 months the thread I started has been resurrected !!  First of all I did NOT come here to troll …. believe me.  Back in February I had to make a tough decision between a Fuji X20 or a Panny LX7.  I chose the Fuji X20 and I'm very happy with it and that's all I'm going to say about that.  I'm not here to compare the 2 cameras.  I am here to tell you that I still use and treasure my LX5.  I leave the wide angle 18mm conversion lens on it all the time for landscapes or tight spaces or special shots.  The LX5 with its conversion lens is a REAL gem and it's irreplaceable!!  No camera is perfect but I love working with both the X20 & the LX5 and I love them equally.  Here's a photo of both of them side by side taken with a Panny FZ35:

Since this photo I added a thumb grip to my X20 which really helps with the handling …. I assume this is also available for the LX7 too.

I am not brand loyal but I try to use the right tool for the job. Sometime soon, depending on the weather and other things, I want to take some photos of an old gasoline station that's been preserved as a landmark in a suburb of my city. It's on a very small part of a street corner with telephone and light poles in front of it. I already know that it's going to be a job for my LX5 with its 18mm conversion lens but I will also take take photos closer in with my X20. Question: I have a feeling that if I post photos from both cameras either on the Fuji forum or the Panny forum I'll get slammed ….lol. Is it OK to post photos from both cameras here on this forum? I really don't want to cause any trouble.

It'll be very interesting to see what happens to high-end compact cameras at the end of next year for Panny, Sony and Fuji.

James Pilcher
Like?
it is always interesting
In reply to Gaze, May 28, 2013

Gaze wrote:

I can't believe after 6 months the thread I started has been resurrected !!  First of all I did NOT come here to troll …. believe me.  Back in February I had to make a tough decision between a Fuji X20 or a Panny LX7.  I chose the Fuji X20 and I'm very happy with it and that's all I'm going to say about that.  I'm not here to compare the 2 cameras.  I am here to tell you that I still use and treasure my LX5.  I leave the wide angle 18mm conversion lens on it all the time for landscapes or tight spaces or special shots.  The LX5 with its conversion lens is a REAL gem and it's irreplaceable!!  No camera is perfect but I love working with both the X20 & the LX5 and I love them equally.  Here's a photo of both of them side by side taken with a Panny FZ35:

Since this photo I added a thumb grip to my X20 which really helps with the handling …. I assume this is also available for the LX7 too.

I am not brand loyal but I try to use the right tool for the job. Sometime soon, depending on the weather and other things, I want to take some photos of an old gasoline station that's been preserved as a landmark in a suburb of my city. It's on a very small part of a street corner with telephone and light poles in front of it. I already know that it's going to be a job for my LX5 with its 18mm conversion lens but I will also take take photos closer in with my X20. Question: I have a feeling that if I post photos from both cameras either on the Fuji forum or the Panny forum I'll get slammed ….lol. Is it OK to post photos from both cameras here on this forum? I really don't want to cause any trouble.

I will enjoy any photos you publish from cameras that are LX/LF series or compete with said cameras. That includes your X20, maybe the Fuji X-F1, and those from Olympus, Pentax, Sony, Ricoh, Nikon, and such.

I don't speak for the forum members, but neither do I listen to them when I disagree! 

It'll be very interesting to see what happens to high-end compact cameras at the end of next year for Panny, Sony and Fuji.

It's always interesting. Always.

Jim Pilcher

Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
Re: it is always interesting
In reply to James Pilcher, May 28, 2013

This thread is revived every time there is a fluctuation in the price of this camera, wake me up when there is some actual news

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Focus_Point
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gaze, 4 months ago

I am super happy with my LX7... I created a Flickr page, FB page and a Wordpress page for that camera, sharing all my photos... which they are awesome.

If LX8 in the horizon, here are my suggestions, which will make this camera unbeatable, bar-none...

1-Larger sensor, maybe fullframe

2-Viewfinder built in

3-Mechanical F stop instead of electronic... so F stop will not change in any focal length

Have those three items on LX8, with Leica lens, it would be an awesome camera, probably sold for around 1,5K 2K

Focus_Point's gear list:Focus_Point's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads