i-function, how useful??

Started Nov 24, 2012 | Discussions
samfanboy
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
i-function, how useful??
Nov 24, 2012

Hi, I am new to this forum, I have just bought a NX1000, I have the chance to buy 2 used zooms, an 18-55 and 50-200 for a good price, but they are the older ones without i-function, how useful is this button??

Samsung NX1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sixfootzero
Regular MemberPosts: 488
Like?
Re: i-function, how useful??
In reply to samfanboy, Nov 24, 2012

I only have one i-Fn lens:  The 20-50mm kit zoom.  (I also have the 30mm and the older 50-200mm.)  Maybe because of this, or because the aperture/ISO/shutter speed controls are so readily available on the back/top of the camera, I rarely use it.  When I first got the camera, I used it more.  Once I learned where the other buttons/wheels were, I used it less and less.  The act of having to toggle through the options slowed me down a little.

Still, I think it's really useful if you're intimidated by all the other buttons and want a single place to go for camera controls...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
happyfamily
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
In reply to samfanboy, Nov 24, 2012

That i-fn button is useful in digital zoom.

zziplexi
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
In reply to happyfamily, Nov 25, 2012

Is there a digital zoom on the nx1000 as i have only just got this camera and haven,t found one yet.

samfanboy
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
In reply to zziplexi, Nov 25, 2012

zziplexi wrote:

Is there a digital zoom on the nx1000 as i have only just got this camera and haven,t found one yet.

I have not looked for it myself, only just got the camera. Personally, I would avoid digital zoom, not a good option for quality photos, if you need to zoom in closer than your lens will let you, either get closer, of crop it in photoshop afterwards.

happyfamily
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
In reply to zziplexi, Nov 25, 2012

zziplexi wrote:

I use NX1000 too.  The digital zoom can be activate by the i-fn button on your lens.

My 20-50mm, 60mm, 85mm have digital zoom up to 2x in my NX1000.

hootsmon
Contributing MemberPosts: 706Gear list
Like?
In reply to samfanboy, Nov 25, 2012

Basically, I haven't found a compelling reason to use i-Function, so far.

But of course, everyone is different so YMMV.

hootsmon's gear list:hootsmon's gear list
Samsung NX11 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA
Shiverio
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?
In reply to samfanboy, Nov 26, 2012

samfanboy wrote:

Personally, I would avoid digital zoom, not a good option for quality photos, if you need to zoom in closer than your lens will let you, either get closer, of crop it in photoshop afterwards.

Usually, yes. However, if you walk closer to your subject, the perspective will usually change (unless the line between you and the subject is parallel to the floor). Also, if you're shooting jpg, when you resize in photoshop you will also enlarge the jpg artifacts, whereas if using digital zoom the enlargement is done before the compression.

Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,563
Like?
In reply to hootsmon, Nov 26, 2012

hootsmon wrote:

Basically, I haven't found a compelling reason to use i-Function, so far.

But of course, everyone is different so YMMV.

The problem I found was remembering to use it and where the button was. Also if all your lens have not got it like the 30mm it does not become a routine.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads