Nov 23, 2012
 mcl's gear list:mcl's gear list
Sony a77 II
Dustinash
Contributing MemberPosts: 594
Like?
Re: "Sony Tells DSLR Owners They're Idiots In Awkward Sales Pitch (VIDEO)"
In reply to mcl, Nov 23, 2012

well to be fair its DSLR owners that dont know how to handle a dslre.  You will notice they did not approach any leica or hasselblad shooters...  Just canikonians

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dlkeller
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,207
Like?

Interesting, and sort of verifying suspicions that A mount life with Sony may be limited as they put more and more emphasis on the NEX line.

-- hide signature --

Dave

cyainparadise
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,577
Like?
Totally dumb commercial

Why didn't they approach any Sony Alpha users and tell them what they told the Canon/Nikon DSLR user?

Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?

mcl wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/11/22/sony-tells-dslr-owners-youre-idiots_n_2174844.html?utm_hp_ref=technology&ir=Technology

-- hide signature --

mcl

Very excellent advertising what can show that Sony used to understand all about the psychology of DSLR/T users (for most of them and longtime before they come to this market) and studied what can fit very well according to the needs of different customers profiles (over than expectations about permanent bashers here aha).

Thaanks for sharing, that make me laugh and save my day...

Kind Regards,

PS: hum... sorry, nothing personnal Cyanparadise, but you used to learn a tad about marketing or what? Not dumb at all to my side, but genious. funny, respectfully and very symptomatic imho.

-- hide signature --

Michel J

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Joshua1982
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
Great! Nothing dumb about it.^^
In reply to Michel J, Nov 23, 2012
 Joshua1982's gear list:Joshua1982's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T*
Michel J
Like?
Re: Great! Nothing dumb about it.^^
In reply to Joshua1982, Nov 23, 2012

Joshua1982 wrote: Great! Nothing dumb about it

If you never noticed that Alpha DSLR/T are more "creative skills" oriented than other competitors (I mean the opposite to techno-geek oriented), so it's you that you missed something. (Same things for the e-mount)

The questions here is: « Who is the idiot ?»
Those who bought a DSLR and using it permanently in [Auto] mode, or what? And maybe « Who's next ?»

What are Sony missing here, please? Sense of humour?

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Michel J

Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
cyainparadise
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,577
Like?
Actually,...
In reply to Michel J, Nov 23, 2012

Michel J wrote:

mcl wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/11/22/sony-tells-dslr-owners-youre-idiots_n_2174844.html?utm_hp_ref=technology&ir=Technology

-- hide signature --

mcl

Very excellent advertising what can show that Sony used to understand all about the psychology of DSLR/T users (for most of them and longtime before they come to this market) and studied what can fit very well according to the needs of different customers profiles (over than expectations about permanent bashers here aha).

Kind Regards,

PS: hum... sorry, nothing personnal Cyanparadise, but you used to learn a tad about marketing or what? Not dumb at all to my side, but genious. funny, respectfully and very symptomatic imho.

-- hide signature --

Michel J

I think the commercial was aimed towards DSLR/DSLT users like you. Just that you just haven't come around to realizing it. Maybe when you wake up in the morning, and it finally hits you, and you go "Wait a minute!", you'll see how dumb it is. (Nothing personal, Michel)

Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,196Gear list
Like?

mcl wrote:

-- hide signature --

mcl

They want the large low end marked (green auto and kit lens only users) to move to high quality compacts and NEX cameras.

I don't think this will hurt the serious amateur aps-c A-mount or FF serious amateur/professsional marked at all.

Liked the video!

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
phaedin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094Gear list
Like?
Re: Totally dumb commercial
In reply to cyainparadise, Nov 23, 2012

probably because there were no Sony Alpha shooters there LOL.

I would be interested to know the percentages of people that they asked who did and didnt know the answer to their questions and did and didnt have it in Auto mode (assuming it was real footage and not staged)

phaedin's gear list:phaedin's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Michel J
Like?
Re: Actually,...

cyainparadise wrote:

Michel J wrote:

mcl wrote:

-- hide signature --

mcl

Kind Regards,

-- hide signature --

Michel J

I think the commercial was aimed towards DSLR/DSLT users like you. Just that you just haven't come around to realizing it. Maybe when you wake up in the morning, and it finally hits you, and you go "Wait a minute!", you'll see how dumb it is. (Nothing personal, Michel)

Ok so if I made a mistake, I'm sorry, I do not speak English often. And don't want to hurt anybody.
Btw, I'm not that kind of user what you think I guess (I'm editor, then photographer too, working 15 years with UN and so on...), so I mean I don't think about me, myself and I... only Like many people here... I'm caring about other people by my job and by nature... and that inspire me. So if that is dumb....

Nordstjernen is absolutely right again. I'm agree 100% all

Kind Regards,

-- hide signature --

Michel J

caporip
Senior MemberPosts: 1,165Gear list
Like?
In reply to phaedin, Nov 23, 2012

It was a survey of 1012 people so obviously with such a big sample you can apply that to all DSLR users :-).  As I've posted on a similar thread in Flickr, that's the problem with using surveys to make a point, albeit a humourous one, there are so many variables that you're never going to know one as small as this is a fair representation!

-- hide signature --

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? - Douglas Adams http://www.flickr.com/photos/rb56/

caporip's gear list:caporip's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +2 more
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 22,993Gear list
Like?
Weird pitch IMO

Fitch has just lowered its rating of Sony. Maybe Sony thinks these direct comparisons will make NEX sales go up. The truth is Sony sales are not that good in any segment, from TV to cameras. They are loosing their longstanding 2nd spot in compacts to Nikon and the ML segment is quite crowded already, with Canon quickly grabing share.

-- hide signature --

Renato. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/ OnExposure member http://www.onexposure.net/ Good shooting and good luck (after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
pentium
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?

loved it

goetz48
Senior MemberPosts: 2,607Gear list
Like?
I also shot some photos in AUTO mode.

Because I turned the mode dial in the wrong direction.

The rest of the 200 000+ was in P, A or M mode. And since the A77 I shot some panos too.

goetz48's gear list:goetz48's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,196Gear list
Like?
In reply to pentium, Nov 23, 2012

pentium wrote:

loved it

Think this video also is a lot about life style, culture and humor! Liked it very much too!

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
john farrar
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,038Gear list
Like?

That's a bizarre marketing video. How many people who recently got a DSLR are going to already be so p****d off with it that theyll want a tiny little thing to replace it? Having a know-it-all camera bore in your face telling you your DSLR is not looking 'cool' on you would be more likely to make someone like me all the more determined to keep it.  After all, I use my Xperia smartphone for the tiny camera stuff these days and the better the smartphone becomes the more I'll use it.

And another thing, when you get tired eyes - as you ineviably will when you get older - you'll come to appreciate intelligent auto modes in a lot of situations and save the hard-to-see menu-based fiddling around for the more important creative shots that the camera might not have been able to optimize.

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,532Gear list
Like?

cyainparadise wrote:

Why didn't they approach any Sony Alpha users and tell them what they told the Canon/Nikon DSLR user?

That would be stupid from a marketing point of view. Regardless, much of what they said is true. I firmly believe that most people who buy DSLR's never learn how to use them properly. Whether they need a NEX instead is open to question but this is advertising, not an educational video. Most of those people would probably be better off with an RX100 than a NEX.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Luebke
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?

Great video. Liked it very much.

Sony is fishing for people entering a camera shop with a DSLR budget in mind (maybe because someone told them you have to invest to get good pictures) but having no clue about photography whatsoever. More than once I remember watching people buying DSLRs without even knowing what aperture is.

kvken
Regular MemberPosts: 116
Like?

It's not a bad pitch. trying get people who never take their dslr off auto to buy a new system. Get people on the fence about buying a dslr a easier to use camera to use that is still based on the same sensors. From sony's point of view they probably have a higher mark up on the nex system over the alpha system more profit when the they sell nex. Personally I will never give up my dslr I like the way it feels. I like the all the options, but there are time that I think having a p&s camera would come in handy. There are times that I just don't bring a camera because I don't feel like dealing with it. Then of course a great picture op comes up.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads