Started Nov 23, 2012 | Questions
macsoft4
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Re: long exposure Nex 6/7
In reply to rogatsby, Apr 16, 2013

rogatsby wrote:

ArticVideo wrote:

Quick question. In Bulb-mode, Is it really possible to open the shutter by pressing the shutter-button once, and close it by pressing it a second time? I know this is the way it works with a remote, but it seems you have to keep the shutter-button (on the camera) pressed during the full exposure?

Yes, this is possible. You do not need to keep the shutter button pressed in BULB mode.

I dont know what camera you have.

With my NEX 5 and 7 you MUST press the shutter button to keep the shutter open.

Yes you can do that with a remote.

Well... for a 30 min exposure you do not need to end the exposure, the camera will end it for you when 30 min have passed.

If you want to do repeat long exposures with the same exposure time (for astrophotography for example) take a look at this little remote: http://astrus.bymac.org

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Schwaeble
Regular MemberPosts: 274
Like?
In reply to RedDevilDan, Apr 16, 2013

RedDevilDan wrote:

2. turn off long exposure NR (I assume you are using iso100 in a low light situation, NR is making things less sharp)

I thought it takes a second equal length time exposure with the shutter closed and then does I am not sure what exactly with to "subtract the noise". --- and in doing so the image turns out less sharp? What is "it" doing and why does the image get less sharp?

Giyogi
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to KBKB, Apr 16, 2013

Can't find time mode on NEX 6.  And none of the specialized remotes I have found will work on the 6.

And, I am now noticing that you can only do one function at a time on the NEX 6.  ie:  2 sec timer to act as a "cable release," or auto bracketing, but not both at the same time which I have always done on my Canon DSLR.

Looks like unless someone knows how to hack a firmware update we are limited, at least in the way we have done it in the past.  I am really loving my little NEX otherwise!  I am even using old Canon and Olympus lens on it thanx to Fotodiox adapters.

mgerpe
Regular MemberPosts: 241
Like?
In reply to macsoft4, Apr 16, 2013

in bulb mode with a remote, you press the remote button to start the exposure and hit the button again whenever you want to close it. I just did this all weekend long with my Nex6.

-- hide signature --

"Sit loosely in the saddle of life"
http://www.michaelgerpe.com

Giyogi
Like?
In reply to KBKB, Apr 16, 2013

Ya, been trying everything.  Tried the very limited Wifi Smart Remote and the camera switched itself from Bulb to 30sec.  Still no way to use Bulb to hold the shutter open for long exposure without holding it manually.  Liked the one post that you can cover the lens while pushing the button, but doesn't work on the NEX 6 to push once to open and once to close.  Still hoping someone will come up with a solution.

Giyogi
Like?
In reply to macsoft4, Apr 16, 2013

SWEET!  and...   PRICEY!!!  Already paid a bunch for the camera which SHOULD have come with the ability built in.

Giyogi
Like?
In reply to mgerpe, Apr 16, 2013

OH!  Cool!  What remote exactly?  Thanx for your help.

Giyogi
Like?
In reply to Schwaeble, Apr 16, 2013

Don't you find that removing noise also removes detail, in other words, sharpness?  Best to use your own software and customize the noise reduction according to most.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads