Sony 10-18 zoom

Started Nov 23, 2012 | Discussions
Skipper494
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,080
Like?
Sony 10-18 zoom
Nov 23, 2012

Just got mine for my NEX 7 yesterday and am very impressed. It is a superb lens with virtually no distortion and the zoom is silky in operation, living up to its promise and expectations:

Crieff pond

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BennyKingston
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
Re: Sony 10-18 zoom
In reply to Skipper494, Nov 23, 2012

That's a very nice shot.

I'm wondering how this lens would render at 10mm on a 5n shooting city architecture.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
V1V1D
Contributing MemberPosts: 658Gear list
Like?

Wow, very promising indeed. That was a big "if" for us NEX7 users. Glad to see it's working out for you. I see it's in stock at B&H now. Would love to see more examples when you get a chance. I want to make sure it is working perfectly on the N7 before shelling out $850.

Thanks for sharing.

V1V1D's gear list:V1V1D's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Skipper494
Like?
In reply to BennyKingston, Nov 23, 2012

Here's an interior shot. The sides could be straightened in PP.

Skipper494
Like?
In reply to V1V1D, Nov 23, 2012

Two more shots, all were shot RAW, converted to tiff in the Sony converter, then converted to jpeg:

Crieff woods

My new 2013 Subaru Outback

Nexographer
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?

Thanks for posting these. I'm also interested in this lens for my NEX-7.

Did you update the firmware for your NEX-7 and could you take some in camera jpg's?

On the Subaru picture I see magenta shift, especially in the lower left corner.

davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 3,985
Like?

Not bad, but none of the images seem especially sharp.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

darkref
Contributing MemberPosts: 686
Like?

Viewing that first photo on the "original" size it looks like it was taken with a potato. Did something happen to the quality of that image?

I see magenta in the corners too.

Jim Funston
Senior MemberPosts: 1,352
Like?
In reply to darkref, Nov 23, 2012

I was a early adopter of the original NEX 5 and loved it with legacy rangefinder glass down to 35mm. I reluctantly went to the NEX 7 (due to taking some poor advice from some N7 users who later bailed on the whole system) for more detail and lost the full use of even my 35mmCG in tge process so my 45mm CG became my widest usable legacy rangefinder glass and it even suffers with some purple fringing which my NEX 5 never exhibited. Fact is I could even use the 28mm CG on my 5 if I kept the aperture above  f5.

I had been waiting anxiously for the wide angle zoom to appear and even pre ordered it. Last week I cancelled that order due to samples shown on this and other sites. Now, I am waiting for my last hope the Zeiss 12mm to achieve a fully usable wide angle for my NEX 7 that doesn't require adapted manual lenses or extra steps in post processing to remove inherent artifacts. If the 10-18 works great on the 6 or the possible new replacement of the 7 is all fine and dandy! I am pretty sure if I have to get a new body to make a Sony lens function properly in a Sony product that all my NEX gear will be sold and I will give up on this system.

I have a N5, N7. A33,and a77 with loads of A and e mount glass so one can see I am not a Sony hater but becoming frustrated with what they are doing and how slow the process is to Get the NEX system to where I had hoped it would of gone. If the Zeiss 12 does not cut it for a quality dedicated wide angle lens on my 7 then "K-Jim's"  will be having a NEX gear sale in 2013 and I will go back reluctantly to strictly large body cameras ... Probably by a a99 with the NEX gear sales. The lack of stellar performance from the 10-18 especially at the price they are asking for it has really started to make me re-evaluate my "love affair with the NEX system" as a viable lightweight portable scenic camera system thatI had hoped for.

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,060Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Funston, Nov 23, 2012

Jim Funston wrote:

I was a early adopter of the original NEX 5 and loved it with legacy rangefinder glass down to 35mm. I reluctantly went to the NEX 7 (due to taking some poor advice from some N7 users who later bailed on the whole system) for more detail and lost the full use of even my 35mmCG in tge process so my 45mm CG became my widest usable legacy rangefinder glass and it even suffers with some purple fringing which my NEX 5 never exhibited. Fact is I could even use the 28mm CG on my 5 if I kept the aperture above f5.

I had been waiting anxiously for the wide angle zoom to appear and even pre ordered it. Last week I cancelled that order due to samples shown on this and other sites. Now, I am waiting for my last hope the Zeiss 12mm to achieve a fully usable wide angle for my NEX 7 that doesn't require adapted manual lenses or extra steps in post processing to remove inherent artifacts. If the 10-18 works great on the 6 or the possible new replacement of the 7 is all fine and dandy! I am pretty sure if I have to get a new body to make a Sony lens function properly in a Sony product that all my NEX gear will be sold and I will give up on this system.

I have a N5, N7. A33,and a77 with loads of A and e mount glass so one can see I am not a Sony hater but becoming frustrated with what they are doing and how slow the process is to Get the NEX system to where I had hoped it would of gone. If the Zeiss 12 does not cut it for a quality dedicated wide angle lens on my 7 then "K-Jim's" will be having a NEX gear sale in 2013 and I will go back reluctantly to strictly large body cameras ... Probably by a a99 with the NEX gear sales. The lack of stellar performance from the 10-18 especially at the price they are asking for it has really started to make me re-evaluate my "love affair with the NEX system" as a viable lightweight portable scenic camera system thatI had hoped for.

The 5 is indeed between the 5n and 7 on terms of RF usage ability, magenta cast, smearing, etc.

Unless you're new to the forum, the 7 shortcomings were highlighted here from the first day we started receiving it.

We wanted the 6, and now we have it. The 6 works very well with all RF glass, and may lure back some of the early adopters and bailers. The Fuji struggles with the WA RF glass too, I hear. I use the 21mm, 28mm and 35mm FL on the 5n and without neither the need for CornerFix nor stopping down.

The 1018 should be compensated for in JPG mode, on the 7, but I haven't seen evidence of it yet. In RAW it seems to suffer from similar, albeit milder, problems as the RF lenses have.

The new 7 firmware improved JPG results with the 16mm, and I guess it is needed for the 1018, but applies to JPG mode only.

I would seriously consider swapping the 7 for a 6, if I were you. You'd be much happier.

If a FF Nex emerges suffers from the same problems as the 7, it is DOA, imo. It should keep a pixel pitch equal or wider than the 5n, ie. 24Mp for FF, instead of the pitch on the 7, or 36Mp for FF.

I except the 1018 to do fine on the 5N and 6, in both RAW and JPG modes.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,847
Like?
In reply to Jim Funston, Nov 23, 2012

Jim,

I understand your dilemma and wide angle is important to me too but I'm not sure you can really draw a final conclusion on the 10-18 based on a few snapshots that us early adopters post - especially mine  .   There are way too many variables that come into play -- sample variation, not using latest firmware, poor technique, etc.

I've had the lens for going on two days but I've only been able to use it for about an hour to take a few snapshots.  I'm using with the NEX 7 (latest firmware) and I like the lens enough to at least spend more time with it to properly evaluate the performance.

As I mentioned above, I don't think my snapshots or anybody elses can really tell the whole story but maybe collectively it will at least help those that are interested in the lens until the experts have a chance to really put the lens through it's paces.

Thanks,

Clayton

1/50, f4, 14mm, ISO 100

1/1000, f4, 18mm, ISO 100

1/250, f8, 18mm, ISO 100

1/50, f5, 16mm, ISO 100

1/800, f4, 16mm, ISO 100

richard NO
Contributing MemberPosts: 824Gear list
Like?
In reply to darkref, Nov 23, 2012

you are cute in you age:)

richard NO's gear list:richard NO's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +3 more
darkref
Contributing MemberPosts: 686
Like?
In reply to richard NO, Nov 23, 2012

Why is that a reply to me?

Jim Funston
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Nov 23, 2012

Blue... I am not new here and saw the Nex 7 issues but as I said I "reluctantly" bought a NEX 7 based on two owners of the camera's recommendations for the specific usage I wanted to use it for. Both of these users sold their N7's within months of recommending them to me... (lesson learned: go with your gut feeling rather than recommendations). Anyway I have enjoyed the N7 for its strengths and have utilized workarounds for it's weaknesses like vertical stitching 45mm shots together to get a wide angle perspective with detail but file sizes are huge and this method takes added time at the shot and in post processing. Both which I am getting tired of doing and I had hoped the 10-18 would not need added PP time being a dedicated Sony lens at the price of some very formidable UWA like the Tokina 11-16 (which I own in A mount) and the Sigma 8-16. It has been a long wait only to see magenta cast, poor flare control, and poor overall image clarity mixed with mustache distortion. Personally, I can get near the same results with my 16mm (which is a good copy) and the wide angle accessory lens and save myself $849 usd. I was hoping for far more out of this lens especially when they announced the retail price.

I really don't want a N6 at 16mp (should of bought the 5n instead of the 7 as I was about to do) because the way I use NEX cameras is mostly on a light tripod with the LCD tilted out at or below waist level for my scenics (like a very small view camera or medium format). I rarely use the NEX7's viewfinder and never the hotshoe I have A series cameras for that type photography (sports, flash, wildlife, macro). The NEX to me was a old mans(which I am) lightweight "hike in" scenic camera system that should of given excellent IQ. Without a high quality wide angle dedicated lens the system starts to fail in this genre and the user is forced to increase size and weight and use adapted SLR glass or stitch legacy RF images together. If I am going to have to do that all the time I might as well go back and buy a full frame slr and a its own dedicated quality wide angle lens ...the weight is only ounces in difference and for scenics 24mp+ full frames give good/great results inherently. I really had hoped for more out of the NEX system by now and have patiently waited and used workarounds to get acceptable images while waiting. Now, I have to wait even longer....... for a "maybe will work on the N7" again.

To the OP and others who have this lens and are using them on a N7 please don't get my comments wrong. I feel the lens will give acceptable image quality for most users usages and tastes with a bit of extra post processing time. If you are happy with what you are seeing or don't mind extra post processing steps I am extremely happy for you. Honestly!!!! I mean it. But even in the 60's I went to medium format film gear because I did not like grain or what I was seeing in my 35mm shots. I admit to being overly sensitive to certain image characteristics like noise (please don't get me started on my a77 and noise), sharpness, clarity, etc to the point where I even consider myself anal about it. The N7 in my opinion is an exceptional camera when used with the Contax G 45mm or 90mm and I have few complaints but results less than those shot with this combo are just not acceptable for me. I really hope the Zeiss 12mm is a winner... I will really be a happy camper if it is .... if not look for a K-Jim's NEX liquidation sale in 2013

Larnus
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
In reply to Jim Funston, Nov 24, 2012

Jim Funston wrote:

I am getting tired of doing and I had hoped the 10-18 would not need added PP time being a dedicated Sony lens at the price of some very formidable UWA like the Tokina 11-16 (which I own in A mount)

That Tokina is one of the sharpest uwa's available - often lauded as being better than canikon equivalents especially with the awesome 2.8 aperture.

The expensive  sony alpha 10-18 was never better than the Tok so this super compromised teeny tiny nex cd never deliver what you're used to.  Get the alpha adapter and enjoy a lighter exp with tok11-16! Even cheaper/smaller non-slt adapter will be gd enough for uwa (focus speed not essential).

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,060Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Funston, Nov 24, 2012

Jim Funston wrote:

I get you....

Blue... I am not new here and saw the Nex 7 issues but as I said I "reluctantly" bought a NEX 7 based on two owners of the camera's recommendations for the specific usage I wanted to use it for. Both of these users sold their N7's within months of recommending them to me... (lesson learned: go with your gut feeling rather than recommendations).

Interesting, and true.

Anyway I have enjoyed the N7 for its strengths and have utilized workarounds for it's weaknesses like vertical stitching 45mm shots together to get a wide angle perspective with detail but file sizes are huge and this method takes added time at the shot and in post processing.

I get good results with the E24, the A35, the S19 & S30 as wide angle primes go, and I have learned to get the best out of the E16+UWA on the N7. And sometimes the E18200.

I don't use the Voigtlander, Contax and Zeiss ZM lenses on the N7 at all, for obvious reasons. They work rather well on the 5N and 6.

Both which I am getting tired of doing and I had hoped the 10-18 would not need added PP time being a dedicated Sony lens at the price of some very formidable UWA like the Tokina 11-16 (which I own in A mount) and the Sigma 8-16. It has been a long wait only to see magenta cast, poor flare control, and poor overall image clarity mixed with mustache distortion. Personally, I can get near the same results with my 16mm (which is a good copy) and the wide angle accessory lens and save myself $849 usd. I was hoping for far more out of this lens especially when they announced the retail price.

So true, the N7 has put a damper on Sony's leading sensor design. What if the Nex-6 had come out first, none of these issues would even have existed? If they released the 7 today, they could compensate in camera (both for JPG and RAW). Or top it off at 20Mp, rather than 24Mp.

I really don't want a N6 at 16mp (should of bought the 5n instead of the 7 as I was about to do) because the way I use NEX cameras is mostly on a light tripod with the LCD tilted out at or below waist level for my scenics (like a very small view camera or medium format). I rarely use the NEX7's viewfinder and never the hotshoe I have A series cameras for that type photography (sports, flash, wildlife, macro). The NEX to me was a old mans(which I am) lightweight "hike in" scenic camera system that should of given excellent IQ.

Do you print so large that the extra pixels really matter? It shows at 100% view, not if the entire image is viewed, due to printer or monitor resolution limitations.

I got the 5N because the 7 was delayed at the time, and was quite pleased to see its improvements over the 5, especially where the WA RF lenses are concerned. The weaknesses of the 7 therefore mattered less to me, they were just annoying, I got the EVF for the 5N.

But not being able to use Sony's own WA E mount lenses (16mm and now 1018 zoom) is a big let down. I already had resigned to only use E mount lenses on the 7, and to use legacy SLR glass, and not RF lenses.

Without a high quality wide angle dedicated lens the system starts to fail in this genre and the user is forced to increase size and weight and use adapted SLR glass or stitch legacy RF images together. If I am going to have to do that all the time I might as well go back and buy a full frame slr and a its own dedicated quality wide angle lens ...the weight is only ounces in difference and for scenics 24mp+ full frames give good/great results inherently. I really had hoped for more out of the NEX system by now and have patiently waited and used workarounds to get acceptable images while waiting. Now, I have to wait even longer....... for a "maybe will work on the N7" again.

Agreed, or a 'new' N7. Like a new 5 came around, the 5N. But you can't use the RF lenses on the SLR camera, that was a big part of the Nex attraction.

To the OP and others who have this lens and are using them on a N7 please don't get my comments wrong. I feel the lens will give acceptable image quality for most users usages and tastes with a bit of extra post processing time. If you are happy with what you are seeing or don't mind extra post processing steps I am extremely happy for you. Honestly!!!! I mean it.

I mind, I can accept in camera processing, but mandatory post processing is overkill to me.

But even in the 60's I went to medium format film gear because I did not like grain or what I was seeing in my 35mm shots. I admit to being overly sensitive to certain image characteristics like noise (please don't get me started on my a77 and noise), sharpness, clarity, etc to the point where I even consider myself anal about it. The N7 in my opinion is an exceptional camera when used with the Contax G 45mm or 90mm and I have few complaints but results less than those shot with this combo are just not acceptable for me.

I agree, but Fuji is at 16Mp, and this does not seem to hinder people taking great pictures with it.

I really hope the Zeiss 12mm is a winner... I will really be a happy camper if it is .... if not look for a K-Jim's NEX liquidation sale in 2013

So do I the Nex-7 is still an impressive, breakthrough, camera design, and a great camera to have and operate.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Jim Funston
Like?
In reply to Larnus, Nov 24, 2012

I have the non translucient mirror a to e adapter and have occasionally used my a mount glass on my NEX's but it kind of defeats the small lightweight package concept of the NEX system. The Tokina does work well on my 7 and I usually always manual focus my scenic shots anyway so that is not a issue. At $850usd my hope was the 10-18 would be comparable to the Tokina. What I am seeing is not even close. But you are right Sony's a mount 11-18 is not close either .... Maybe I expect too much for my dollars invested.

No doubt in my mind the Zeiss 12mm will be higher priced than the Zeiss 24mm but if it performs I'll happily pay the price. If it exhibits the same IQ issues on the 7 that  RF WA's or the 16mm or even the 10-18 is I'll be done with the e mount systems and settle back to strictly a mount systems, unfortunately.

Sad thing is I truly see a huge potential in the NEX system and have had some remarkable images from this system. I see mirrorless being the new standard professional camera design in the future and Sony as a technological leader in this market. If they don't take their glass development serious and set quality level expectations higher for the IQ their glass will create; I could be very wrong in my expectation that Sony will be the leader in Pro level mirrorless cameras. If you really look at what lenses they have for this system they only have one high end lens in the system and that is the 24mm Zeiss.

Jim Funston
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Nov 24, 2012

Henry, I am truly anal about IQ and image resolution .... A resolution junkie one might say;-)

I usually print 16x20 for my print competitions on my E4880 and offer larger prints done by a commercial photo printing service if requested. I can always see the difference in my scenics between my 14mp images and my 24mp images even at 16x20 with good glass. At even larger print sizes it becomes very apparent. But, as I have said I am very sensitive to resolution and noise characteristics in a photo. If I could afford one I would have a 80+mp digital back medium format to be totally happy with these characteristics in my shots But to buy one of these I would need to give up a the finer things in life like food on the table or a roof over my head.

tri x
Contributing MemberPosts: 666Gear list
Like?
In reply to Skipper494, Nov 24, 2012

Skipper494 wrote:

Two more shots, all were shot RAW, converted to tiff in the Sony converter, then converted to jpeg:

Crieff woods

My new 2013 Subaru Outback

Lovely shot of the trees and great reflection in the lake. Looks like a nice lens. Thanks for posting.

Cheers John

tri x's gear list:tri x's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads