My AF Fine tune settings for all top Nikon lenses after calibration

Started Nov 22, 2012 | Discussions
kratlusk
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Re: focus calibration varies with focal length of zoom lenses
In reply to h2odavid, Dec 11, 2012

h2odavid wrote:

DOES ANYBODY ELSE IN THE FORUM HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH NIKON REPAIR WHEN FOCUS ADJUSTMENT VARIES SO MUCH IN ZOOM LENSES?

I do not have any experience with Nikon Repair and AF adjustment of zooms but I found this repair manual and have seen another that gives some insight into how Nikon Repair tests and adjusts a lens.

At page L40-1 and forward there is a description on how to make a back/rear focus test target and it seems zoom lenses are only tested and adjusted at their extreme ends. I guess there is some sort of linear interpolation in effect for mid-zoom ranges. This can be limiting as results in this thread shows.

Best regards,

Lars

-- hide signature --

/Lars Holst Hansen
http://kratlusk.blogspot.dk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wireless
Regular MemberPosts: 402Gear list
Like?
In reply to kratlusk, Dec 12, 2012

I just received my d600 and lenses back from cameraservicepro.com (authorized Nikon repair).  I haven't been able to test it yet.  They told me they would fix the focus issues without fine tune.

However when I got it back they said they had fixed a back-focus issue in the camera, the 50mm had a fine tune of -10 (what iit was before I sent it in), the 24-70 had nothing, and the 70-200 had +3 fine tune.  I asked them about this in email but they didn't respond although I would say their service was good and straightforward.  They turned it around in one day.

I will test it when I get a little time.  Busy this time of year.  I expect with all I've looked into this  if there are any issues I'll work them out with fine tune.  I hope not to see the issues that others have mentioned where fine tune is not consistent across the zoom range.

-David

wireless's gear list:wireless's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Arash31
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?
In reply to wireless, Dec 22, 2012

wireless wrote:

I just received my d600 and lenses back from cameraservicepro.com (authorized Nikon repair). I haven't been able to test it yet. They told me they would fix the focus issues without fine tune.

However when I got it back they said they had fixed a back-focus issue in the camera, the 50mm had a fine tune of -10 (what iit was before I sent it in), the 24-70 had nothing, and the 70-200 had +3 fine tune. I asked them about this in email but they didn't respond although I would say their service was good and straightforward. They turned it around in one day.

I will test it when I get a little time. Busy this time of year. I expect with all I've looked into this if there are any issues I'll work them out with fine tune. I hope not to see the issues that others have mentioned where fine tune is not consistent across the zoom range.

-David

Thx for the update. I suspect that even if u have an issue it may not be as visible own the d600 as it is on the d800. Frankly is really annoying that the d800 on large apertures for porunreliable what it is. If it always worked would have been amazing!

Arash31
Like?
In reply to Arash31, Dec 22, 2012

Arash31 wrote:

wireless wrote:

I just received my d600 and lenses back from cameraservicepro.com (authorized Nikon repair). I haven't been able to test it yet. They told me they would fix the focus issues without fine tune.

However when I got it back they said they had fixed a back-focus issue in the camera, the 50mm had a fine tune of -10 (what iit was before I sent it in), the 24-70 had nothing, and the 70-200 had +3 fine tune. I asked them about this in email but they didn't respond although I would say their service was good and straightforward. They turned it around in one day.

I will test it when I get a little time. Busy this time of year. I expect with all I've looked into this if there are any issues I'll work them out with fine tune. I hope not to see the issues that others have mentioned where fine tune is not consistent across the zoom range.

-David

Thx for the update. I suspect that even if u have an issue it may not be as visible own the d600 as it is on the d800. Frankly is really annoying that the d800 on large apertures for porunreliable what it is. If it always worked would have been amazing!

Got to love the auto correct! I meant for portrait! The d800 high res just phones all the auto focus flaws

Arash31
Like?
Re: My AF Fine tune settings for all top Nikon lenses after calibration
In reply to Arash31, 7 months ago

Arash31 wrote:

Recently I sent a number of my lenses and My D800E body to Nikon Toronto for calibration. After 3 weeks they came back with a note as follows:

• Nikon D800E focus adjusted
  • Nikon 24-70 2.8 focus adjusted
  • Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII focus adjusted
  • Nikon 28-300 VR No issues just cleaned
  • Nikon 50m 1.4 focus adjusted

I also had four other lenses that I did not send for an adjustment which include

• Nikon 85 1.4,
  • Nikon 105 2.8 VR,
  • Nikon 24 1.4,
  • Nikon 70-300 VR and
  • Nikon Tele 2x

After countless hours of testing with LensAlign II along with the software that recently goes along with it (which I must say makes life significantly easier) I found that pretty much all my lenses are front focusing quite a bit. I followed all the instructions in my calibrations which included: Good Exposure (although I found over exposure tended to give better consistant results), monochrome fine JPG, 3s delay, wireless remote, Carbon Tripod, change focus between shots, 3-4 shots of each setting, and lastly using the min. distance specified at 25 x fcal. I also found that my zoom lenses required about the same at both ends. I also used the pictures from LiveView as a reference...almost 100% of time liveview was righton while view finder pictures were front focusing.

Makes me really disappointed that after all this wait I got such a big issue....regardless I went through a long excersise of calibrating all my lenses to my D800E and this is what I found:

These lenses were sent along with the body:

• Nikon 24-70 2.8 +20 (could have been 22 if it had it)
  • Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII +12
  • Nikon 50 1.4 +16
  • Nikon 14-24 +5
  • Nikon 28-300 VR +5

These lenses were not sent to Nikon but still required calibration:

• Nikon 24 1.4 +8
  • Nikon 105 2.8 VR +16
  • Nikon 70-300 VR +5
  • Nikon 85 1.4 +16
  • Nikon Tele 2x +15

Clearly it seems that the lenses are more or less around the same range (averaging around +15) with the wide angels needing much less under +10.

So my question is that is it worth while to just send the body back to them for recalibration? I am afraid I will have to wait a long time again and then have to go through the process of recalibrating all the lenses one by one which is extermly time consuming...that is if they get it right this time!!!

Has anyone had any issues using the Auto Fine tune? It clearly seems like it's helping get much shaper pictures when viewed at 100% and taken with large apertures; however, as you know the calibration also does depend on the focusing distance...I used min. for each focal length and lens, but also tesetd using a distance between the min and max recommended.

in any case thought to share and any feedback is appreciated!

Just a quick update for everyone. After a year I found the time to resend all my lenses and body to nikon Toronto along with the documentation to show the front focusing issue for the 2nd time. I also made a big deal out of it so that it gets more attention! Result:

three weeks in repair...they changed a part on my 24-70 and adjusted focus on my 70-200 and the body itself. They said the rest was fine! I bought reikan focal this time and tested again! Here is what I found:

1. 24-70 is now close to perfect. Whatever part they changed helped a lot!

2. The 70-200 needs +9 at 70, and -4 at 200...so I'm ok with it

3. My 50 1.4 now needs adjustment of +29!!! Which of course can't do!

4. My 85 1.4 I needs +8

net of the story....they are still in need of adjustment but I'm super happy with 24-70 that actually had a part replaced. I'm not sure why they can't get it precise! The part that is frustrating is that you spent lots of money buying fast lenses, but then you can't use it sat its weirdest aperture! So to get the picture sharp for my 1.4s I have to stop it to f3-4!!! This I find frustrating which makes me question the value. Of course it still performs better in low light if you are not doing portrait but I have gotten used to the insane detail and sharpness d800e takes when u zoom in at 100% view, and this front focus issue ruins it!!!

fPrime
Regular MemberPosts: 278Gear list
Like?

Arash31 wrote:

I'm not sure why they can't get it precise! The part that is frustrating is that you spent lots of money buying fast lenses, but then you can't use it sat its weirdest aperture! So to get the picture sharp for my 1.4s I have to stop it to f3-4!!!

Those of us with fast primes feel your pain. The demands of the Sony sensor in D800 have clearly out-run the design tolerances 2007-era Nikon PDAF system and that shows up clearly at wide apertures.  I use f/1.4 primes exclusively and have sadly concluded that only the D700/D3/D3S can currently focus them consistently when wide open.  As you said, it's the only way to get the value out of fast lenses (sub f/2.8).  If the D900 comes out with an overhauled PDAF system, no one will be happier than me.

fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,814
Like?

Arash31 wrote:

net of the story....they are still in need of adjustment but I'm super happy with 24-70 that actually had a part replaced. I'm not sure why they can't get it precise! The part that is frustrating is that you spent lots of money buying fast lenses, but then you can't use it sat its weirdest aperture! So to get the picture sharp for my 1.4s I have to stop it to f3-4!!! This I find frustrating which makes me question the value. Of course it still performs better in low light if you are not doing portrait but I have gotten used to the insane detail and sharpness d800e takes when u zoom in at 100% view, and this front focus issue ruins it!!!

IMO utilizing the AF tune functionality of your body is a much simpler, cheaper, and less stressful method to achieve consistent AF on a body+lens combination than trying to achieve the same outcome via servicing. I haven't read through the entire thread but what you do feel is unacceptable about relying on AF tune?

Per Baekgaard
Contributing MemberPosts: 842Gear list
Like?

Arash31 wrote:

3. My 50 1.4 now needs adjustment of +29!!! Which of course can't do!

You could use the default adjustment for this, as each "default" step is roughly equivalent to 2.5 steps of the tuning assigned to an individual lens.

To make the camera use the default value, you need to delete(!) the AF fine tuning you have assigned specifically for the 50mm f/1.4. Don't just put it at zero, but delete it entirely.

Next, set your default fine-tune (non-lens specific) value to around +12 -- this could bring your 50mm f/1.4 into proper focusing.

If you use other lenses not mentioned, you probably have to put in separate fine-tune values for them, unless they (rather unlikely) would also require the same fine-tuning as your 50mm f/1.4

Per Baekgaard's gear list:Per Baekgaard's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads