Camera vanishes without a trace

Started Nov 22, 2012 | Discussions
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,364Gear list
Like?
Camera vanishes without a trace
Nov 22, 2012

I went to the dpreview camera feature search and selected compact, and show advanced feature search.  I then ticked sensor type, zoom wide, zoom tele, max aperture, then pushed the wide angle slider down to 24mm, the tele to 320mm (max) aperture to f2.8 and ticked BSI-CMOS and I am left with only one camera.

You guessed it, yes the samsung WB850F.  This camera exceeds against other such travel zoom cameras at least in its advanced hardware, yet its become as invisible and secret as the EX2F and the EX1 before it.

You would think that a camera that excels would be all over at least this forum, but apart from a few early complaints about battery life which I believe have been addressed by a FW upgrade, there is not a whisper here about it.

Why I stumbled onto this secret camera is because I am going on a trip in the new year and wondered what camera could deliver the most, and it turns out to be the WB850F

I guess its par for the course for a samsung camera to dissappear without trace.  But is there anyone out there who can provided any feedback about this model?

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Samsung EX2F Samsung TL500 (EX1) Samsung WB850F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KimberlyC
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,094Gear list
Like?
Re: Camera vanishes without a trace
In reply to brianj, Nov 24, 2012

Well................I have kind of a love hate relationship with mine. I purchased one in August, it worked for one trip and then developed a severe focusing issue. So off it went for repair it was back in about a week and I took it out to play with a couple of weeks later and the freeking lens froze in the zoom position after about ten shots, so off it went again for repair and came back about a week later repaired. I used it over the last two weeks and it worked okay so my fingers are crossed.

I will say that the zoom is good, the lens is very sharp even at full zoom and photos for the most part have been good when it is working correctly. Colors are pleasing and even better with light PP. it is a perfect travel size, battery life is okay but one or two spares should be purchased. It can be charged with my desk or car charger for my Samsung phone which is very nice. It does not equal my NX200 or NX100 in output but it is still decent.

the price jumps up and down week by week. I have noticed quite a few refurbs on the market so I am not the only one who has had issues. I do not really trust the camera to not crap out on me again though. For others they may never an issue. It is well built, comfortable to shoot with, the LCD is lovely.

KimberlyC's gear list:KimberlyC's gear list
Samsung EX2F Olympus PEN E-P2 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Samsung NX210 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KimberlyC
Like?
In reply to brianj, Nov 24, 2012

The last photo I took before it went south the first time.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/KimberlyC/SAM_0380_zps6f33787b.jpg.

Samsung EX2F Olympus PEN E-P2 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Samsung NX210 +7 more
hootsmon
Contributing MemberPosts: 762Gear list
Like?
In reply to KimberlyC, Nov 24, 2012

KimberlyC wrote:

That's a nice landscape.  You can almost smell those pine-needles

hootsmon's gear list:hootsmon's gear list
Samsung NX11 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,364Gear list
Like?
In reply to KimberlyC, Nov 24, 2012

KimberlyC wrote:

Very nice photo, I have considered getting one for an upcoming trip, but that fragile zoom is a worry, bit like the S100 lens error.  I wonder if they are getting to the limit trying to squeeze so much zoom in there.  Of course next year a new lot of cameras will come out with twice as much zoom !

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
KimberlyC
Like?
In reply to hootsmon, Nov 24, 2012

Still sneezing.  

thanks.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads