RX1 Day-time AF Test

Started Nov 22, 2012 | Discussions
SonyRX1
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
RX1 Day-time AF Test
Nov 22, 2012

sroute, here is the video you requested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh7CjHzv78o

some points i'd like to make
1. this was shot very late in the afternoon (around 5pm) so it is actually alot darker than what it looks like on video
2. i was in a hurry (only had about 10 minutes) and had the aperture set at f11, i know i should have shot at f2, my bad
3. sorry for the shaky/unstable video, it's not easy operating two cameras
4. not sure what that weird noise is...... definitely not coming from the rx1

here is a link to the Night-time AF Test, for those who are interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKCXtvwi-D0&feature=plcp

SonyRX1's gear list:SonyRX1's gear list
Sony RX1R RX100 III
Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tulaev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,214Gear list
Like?
Re: RX1 Day-time AF Test
In reply to SonyRX1, Nov 22, 2012

Thank you! Significantly better than my X100.

-- hide signature --
 Tulaev's gear list:Tulaev's gear list
Sony RX1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pixelpunch
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?

Sweet. Thanks for your effort, much appreciated.

While we are on the subject of focusing... how does the trigger feel? Is there a distinct half way stop for focusing, or is it easy to miss so that you accidently press the trigger all the way down?

asterox101
Regular MemberPosts: 196
Like?

i saw that you were shooting at f11 around iso 6400.

were you able to check the focus speed at a larger aperture? does that have an effect on the speed?

thank you for making these tests. very helpful!

sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?

Thanks very much for this.

Clearly the AF is far better than the X100 I owned.  It reminds me of the NEX, which I found fast enough.

I currently shoot nothing but manual focus lenses. While you'd think that *any* autofocus would be a welcome improvement, what I found about the X100 was that when it couldn't lock on properly, its manual focus implementation was and remains so flawed as to be useless.

The RX1 at least can do both and even if it does both moderately well, that's enough. Provided it generally gets to focus accurately, and lets me take over if need be, I don't care if it does it in 1/10th of a second or 1/2 a second.

0lf
0lf
Regular MemberPosts: 354
Like?

Thank you, but it is hard to differentiate movement from the video camera with movement from the RX1 lens during AF.

SonyRX1
Like?
In reply to pixelpunch, Nov 23, 2012

pixelpunch wrote:

While we are on the subject of focusing... how does the trigger feel? Is there a distinct half way stop for focusing, or is it easy to miss so that you accidently press the trigger all the way down?

The trigger feels great, even more so with an aftermarket shutter release button I have screwed on.  Although it does not have a 'half-way stop,' there is enough spring, feedback, and travel that you will not accidently shoot a photo.

Sony RX1R RX100 III
SonyRX1
Like?
In reply to asterox101, Nov 23, 2012

asterox101 wrote:

i saw that you were shooting at f11 around iso 6400.

were you able to check the focus speed at a larger aperture? does that have an effect on the speed?

thank you for making these tests. very helpful!

I had it set in aperture priority mode, and the camera raised the ISO to 6400, so you could tell how dark it was!!

The aperture does not change the focus speed.  As this was a AF test, I just wanted to shoot at a faster aperture to get a shallower dof, and demonstrate the AF accurancy.

Sony RX1R RX100 III
asterox101
Like?
In reply to SonyRX1, Nov 23, 2012

At f11 you would have deep depth of field with lots in focus so it would be harder to tell if it was focusing accurately. That's also partly why it was pushing to iso 6400. At f2 you would get shallow depth of field and would be better able determine if the spot you selected as your focal point was actually sharp.

SonyRX1
Like?
In reply to asterox101, Nov 23, 2012

asterox101 wrote:

At f11 you would have deep depth of field with lots in focus so it would be harder to tell if it was focusing accurately. That's also partly why it was pushing to iso 6400. At f2 you would get shallow depth of field and would be better able determine if the spot you selected as your focal point was actually sharp.

Yes, I know this.  In my reply, I was assuming that you have read my first post, where I clearly note that my intentions were to shoot in f2.  Unfortunately I was in a hurry and accidentally shot in F11.
At any rate, this demonstration was done to show the camera's AF speed.  To test it's accuracy, It would have been much more involving, as I would have to upload pictures too.  Even then it wouldn't really be a valid test because I am shooting with one hand (unstable camera)  So I would have to set a tripod and......you get the drill.  I didn't have time for that.

Sony RX1R RX100 III
asterox101
Like?
In reply to SonyRX1, Nov 24, 2012

ah. so sorry about that. i should have remembered from your first comment. apologies.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads