CameraStoreTV: Fuji XE-1 vs Sony NEX-6 Shootout

Started Nov 21, 2012 | Discussions
Starred
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?
CameraStoreTV: Fuji XE-1 vs Sony NEX-6 Shootout
Nov 21, 2012
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
stillman3
Regular MemberPosts: 374
Like?
Re: CameraStoreTV: Fuji XE-1 vs Sony NEX-6 Shootout
In reply to Starred, Nov 21, 2012

I had trouble with the link, but found it on this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmwEQB0KM8U

Very interesting comparision, Thanks.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cheddargav
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,490Gear list
Like?

Ok, so the Camera Store and Digital Rev do the best online video reviews, and both have kind of been a let down in that they couldn't simply just review the X-E1. Digital rev did that awful Mario cr@p, and this was a comparison.

Still, both good cameras, I'm happy with the X-E1

-- hide signature --

www.twitter.com/gavphotography

cheddargav's gear list:cheddargav's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
MuMinded
Senior MemberPosts: 1,938
Like?

Starred wrote:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=jmwEQB0KM8U&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DjmwEQB0KM8U&gl=GB

Interesting Video.

I like the Camera store video's...   Generally they are very good and this one no exception.

If we can filter out the fact that the Camera Store is in the business to make money, and having said that needs to court both Fuji and Sony, then we can draw some real conclusions.

Fuji dominates Sony in absolute resolution.

Fuji Glass is superior.

Fuji Low light performance embarasses Sony.

Fuji rocks in the type of controls that photographers want and need (A,S and ISO)

Sony, awesome for it's flippy screen and good viewfinder.

Sony beats Fuji for it's video capability.

Sony "currently" has a wider availabilty of lenses in different focal lengths.

Sony has a higher resolution LCD screen.

I know I'm a fanboy, but based on the above it's easy for me to say which one I would want.

MuMinded.

HighLowISO
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?

Good review and did't change my mind that the X-E1 was the right choice for me. I just can't wait to get a shipping notice.

David V
Contributing MemberPosts: 979Gear list
Like?
In reply to MuMinded, Nov 21, 2012

MuMinded wrote:

Starred wrote:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=jmwEQB0KM8U&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DjmwEQB0KM8U&gl=GB

Interesting Video.

I like the Camera store video's... Generally they are very good and this one no exception.

If we can filter out the fact that the Camera Store is in the business to make money, and having said that needs to court both Fuji and Sony, then we can draw some real conclusions.

Fuji dominates Sony in absolute resolution.

Fuji Glass is superior.

Fuji Low light performance embarasses Sony.

Fuji rocks in the type of controls that photographers want and need (A,S and ISO)

Sony, awesome for it's flippy screen and good viewfinder.

Sony beats Fuji for it's video capability.

Sony "currently" has a wider availabilty of lenses in different focal lengths.

Sony has a higher resolution LCD screen.

I know I'm a fanboy, but based on the above it's easy for me to say which one I would want.

MuMinded.

Sony has faster AF.

I own an NEX 5N, and I am not happy with the image quality.  I think their lens lineup is and always has been just short of mediocre.  Quantity does not mean quality, and I have owned all of their lenses including the Zeiss 24 f/1.8 which I actually returned.  Nice lens, but not worth $1K regardless of what the Sony fanboys say.

I will say that the Sony does the best video of any camera I have seen, and I will keep the 5N just for that (she can shoot the video of the kids and take snapshots with the 5N), but it will be the Fuji XE-1 for my images when I want small, light and portable with high quality captures.  For super high resolution landscape shots it's still the D800 for the time being.  If Fuji continues along this path, I may not need a heavy DSLR rig in a few years.

David V's gear list:David V's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +12 more
GMussio
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
In reply to David V, Nov 21, 2012

I know what you mean.  I used to have the Sony NEX-7.  There is no doubt that the AF performance was better then my X-Pro 1, but the image quality was just not cutting it, not even with the Zeiss.  I promptly returned all of it.  Video was amazing.  The rear LCD and viewfinder were also amazing.  Frankly, if Fuji had the viewfinder of the NEX-7, with an optical viewfinder, with a rear screen that flips but still looks sleek, and with great video, Sony's financial woes would be so much more severe as the only thing keeping their business afloat is the NEX.  I went to F1 this past weekend.  I saw ALOT of NEXs, but for DSLRs, only one... an a57 kit.  I'm sure there were more, but Canon and Nikon dominated.  I was the only one with the Fuji  That said, Fuji is going in the right direction.  They are looking past all the feature fluff and producing image quality up their with the best of em.  Their lenses are properly priced for the quality you get from them.  I feel good knowing that I can confidently shoot at any aperture with my 35.  I'm just waiting for the 23 and 56 to come out and my set will be complete.  I might pick up the UW zoom too.

andyrox
Contributing MemberPosts: 948
Like?

Thanks for posting that review.  I'm still considering my options, and the X-E1 vs NEX-6 is one choice.  For IQ/low light performance the X-E1 must, as someone indicated, pretty much be a modern classic.  Is there any APS-C camera that can out perform it in this area? Doesn't seem like it to me.  However there is a small matter of an extra £350 in UK on the X-E1.  Fortunately for me absolute video capability is not an issue - I've only ever used vid for family clips.

Andy

-- hide signature --
DL
DL
Regular MemberPosts: 463
Like?
In reply to andyrox, Nov 21, 2012

When I first heard about the NEX-6 I thought it was the perfect camera for me.  Physically smaller zoom lens, grip like the NEX-7, improved focus speed.  I was always glad to have the superior video of the NEX cameras too.

However, I have a X-E1 with 18-55 on order now.  The CameraStore comparison confirms my choice.  Ultimately I want this next camera to be a lighter replacement for my DSLR.  About the only thing I will be missing is better quality video which is not a deal breaker.  Compromising and putting the NEX video quality over the X-E1 image quality would certainly haunt me in the future.

Staying true to my goal of having very good image quality while maximizing portability I think maximizing image quality from a small zoom lens is critical.  The Fuji 18-55mm seems almost perfect.   The new Sony NEX zoom seemed great but loses on image quality.  It's like the audio component with all the features but second rate sound quality.

Ultimately it comes down to the lens and sensor technology.  The Fuji X-Trans sensor seems to have a key competitive advantage and almost all their lenses are rated very highly.  In 3-5 years when I decide to change cameras I am quite sure Fuji will have much improved video and my lenses will carry forward.  If I bought the NEX today for the better video then in 3-5 years I will probably end up with a bunch of lenses to sell.  Now I understand the concept of quality glass selection being critical.  Nikon and Canon are the masters there but I just don't want the weight of a DSLR anymore.  5 years down the road I think we will see a lot less people carrying DSLRs.

StickBreitling
Regular MemberPosts: 175
Like?
In reply to DL, Nov 21, 2012

One thing in the video that reminded me of why I ditched my Nex7 was the dynamic range tests. The Sony would always, even at base ISO, have very noisy shadows because of the reduced dynamic range. My first shot from the XPro1 was a breath of fresh air and was much closer to what I had experienced in terms of picture quality on my D700.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads