Quick portrait with Sigma 30mm 1.4! Critique always welcome!

Started Nov 20, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
TheyCallmeLamy New Member • Posts: 16
Quick portrait with Sigma 30mm 1.4! Critique always welcome!

Just a quick snap of my wife and daughter while on a day trip. Figured I'd put my new Sigma 30mm 1.4 through its paces after getting back from calibration. So far so good. A few missed shots but I credit them to operator error. I'm still learning how to shoot with fast primes and super thin DoF. Didnt want to miss this one though so its stopped down a bit to f/4.5. Let me know what you think! Thanks

TheyCallmeLamy's gear list:TheyCallmeLamy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +1 more
keeponkeepingon Senior Member • Posts: 1,260
Re: Quick portrait with Sigma 30mm 1.4! Critique always welcome!

I think you captured the subjects wonderfully but I think the photo would have benefited from a little shallower DOF.
My first thought seeing the pictures was: OMG she has a fence growing out of her ear!

Digirame Forum Pro • Posts: 32,425
Re: Quick portrait with Sigma 30mm 1.4! Critique always welcome!

It's a very cute photo.  I don't find the background too distracting, but as the other poster noticed, sometimes it's better to see what is there before pushing the shutter.  It's easy to get a shallow depth of field with a telephoto lens at the long end, when you are close to the subject and with a well-chosen aperture.  With a wide angle lens, I usually try to keep everything in focus.  In that case, I pick the environment or background carefully, so that all can be seen clearly...and it all looks nice.  You'll find that's why photographers will often move their subjects over to one spot instead of another.  For the rest of us, it may not seem apparent, but the photographer is considering everything in the frame.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads