Quick portrait with Sigma 30mm 1.4! Critique always welcome!

Started Nov 20, 2012 | Discussions
TheyCallmeLamy
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
Quick portrait with Sigma 30mm 1.4! Critique always welcome!
Nov 20, 2012

Just a quick snap of my wife and daughter while on a day trip. Figured I'd put my new Sigma 30mm 1.4 through its paces after getting back from calibration. So far so good. A few missed shots but I credit them to operator error. I'm still learning how to shoot with fast primes and super thin DoF. Didnt want to miss this one though so its stopped down a bit to f/4.5. Let me know what you think! Thanks

TheyCallmeLamy's gear list:TheyCallmeLamy's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +1 more
keeponkeepingon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,149
Like?
Re: Quick portrait with Sigma 30mm 1.4! Critique always welcome!
In reply to TheyCallmeLamy, Nov 20, 2012

I think you captured the subjects wonderfully but I think the photo would have benefited from a little shallower DOF.
My first thought seeing the pictures was: OMG she has a fence growing out of her ear!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 29,134
Like?
Re: Quick portrait with Sigma 30mm 1.4! Critique always welcome!
In reply to TheyCallmeLamy, Nov 21, 2012

It's a very cute photo.  I don't find the background too distracting, but as the other poster noticed, sometimes it's better to see what is there before pushing the shutter.  It's easy to get a shallow depth of field with a telephoto lens at the long end, when you are close to the subject and with a well-chosen aperture.  With a wide angle lens, I usually try to keep everything in focus.  In that case, I pick the environment or background carefully, so that all can be seen clearly...and it all looks nice.  You'll find that's why photographers will often move their subjects over to one spot instead of another.  For the rest of us, it may not seem apparent, but the photographer is considering everything in the frame.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads