How's the NEX-6 viewfinder compared to the NEX-7?

Started Nov 18, 2012 | Questions
Raffwal
Regular MemberPosts: 350
Like?
How's the NEX-6 viewfinder compared to the NEX-7?
Nov 18, 2012

I was about to buy a NEX-7, but luckily tried it at the store before. It turned out that the VF was virtually unusable for me wearing glasses. I had to have an uncomfortably firm contact to the VF area for it to turn on and even the slightest movement of my face would have it turn off.

Is the NEX-6 viewfinder the same, better or worse in this regard?

ANSWER:
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Adamant
Regular MemberPosts: 288
Like?
Re: How's the NEX-6 viewfinder compared to the NEX-7?
In reply to Raffwal, Nov 18, 2012

I wear glasses and use a NEX-6 and haven't had a problem.  Diopter adjustment plus a nice rubber eye cup work great.  It doesn't shut off on me unexpectedly.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rehabdoc
Contributing MemberPosts: 906
Like?
In reply to Raffwal, Nov 18, 2012

Raffwal wrote:

I was about to buy a NEX-7, but luckily tried it at the store before. It turned out that the VF was virtually unusable for me wearing glasses. I had to have an uncomfortably firm contact to the VF area for it to turn on and even the slightest movement of my face would have it turn off.

Is the NEX-6 viewfinder the same, better or worse in this regard?

Have NEX 7 ahad I problem with glasses. Using inclauded rubber piece. The EVF activates very readily, well before my glasses make contact with the rubber. Dont know what was wrong with your test unit.

Raffwal
Like?
In reply to Rehabdoc, Nov 18, 2012

I have read several glass wearing users on this forum telling about the same problem, so I don't think it was the individual camera. But I suppose that factors such as the type and strength of the glasses, the amount and color of light, skintone etc. could have an effect.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3224965

threeOh
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?
In reply to Rehabdoc, Nov 18, 2012

Rehabdoc wrote:

Have NEX 7 ahad I problem with glasses. Using inclauded rubber piece. The EVF activates very readily, well before my glasses make contact with the rubber. Dont know what was wrong with your test unit.

Not at all my experience with the 7. I used it for three weeks and it went back because of the initial delay in switching on the evf. Very flaky with glasses, slow without.

pmow
Contributing MemberPosts: 769Gear list
Like?
In reply to threeOh, Nov 20, 2012

If anything the NEX-6 sensor is too sensitive.  I have trouble taking composing incognito shots from the waist; Your body against the end of the flipped up LCD causes the EVF to turn on instead of the screen.

pmow's gear list:pmow's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more
RGBaker
Contributing MemberPosts: 506Gear list
Like?
In reply to Raffwal, Nov 20, 2012

Unfortunately, I think this thread indicates how important a first-hand look would be: I wear glasses, and use the EVF on my NEX7 almost exclusively.  It works perfectly for me, indeed, it is a pleasure.  Like the light in my fridge, I feel like it is always on -- certainly I've never felt a delay or pause when I put the camera to eye.  For those times when I push my glasses up my forehead (like when I'm wearing polarized sunglasses) the diopter adjustment allows for a perfect focus.  Would that every other device I try to use on a daily basis could work so well ...
I read from those here that have had a different experience, and don't doubt them -- but neither does their experience speak to anything approaching mine.  Try it yourself I guess, and see where you fall ...

Cheers,
GB

RGBaker's gear list:RGBaker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
nick510
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to pmow, Nov 20, 2012

I am the owner of an NEX-7 and testing the 6. I had expected the viewfinders to be identical but find I much prefer that of the 6 to the 7. The image feels much more natural and "calmer" electronically than with the 7 Where it feels like the gain is set too high.

I  thought this might be the result of my having changed settings on the 7 But have checked everything I can think of and things seem to be identical to the settings I'm using on the 6. I also tried dialing down the brightness of the 7's viewfinder but it didn't make much of a difference.

I have really loved my 7 but am thinking I will sell it and keep the 6. I like the focusing advantages (it resolves focus much more quickly in low contrast scenes for me) as well as the addition of Wi-Fi (wonky currently but I'm hoping it will be improved and refined with time). I've also never been a complete fan of the Tri-Navi as it adds a level of complexity I don't need and I've adjusted exposure compensation without realizing it too many times to count.

The 7 is a great camera but for my needs I think the 6 will be better. YMMV.

Chris

dtrph
Contributing MemberPosts: 700Gear list
Like?
In reply to Adamant, Nov 20, 2012

Adamant wrote:

I wear glasses and use a NEX-6 and haven't had a problem. Diopter adjustment plus a nice rubber eye cup work great. It doesn't shut off on me unexpectedly.

I too tried the NEX7 at the store and didn't like the feel of the eye cup against the glasses.  The eye cup in the NEX 7 at the sonystyle store was not a soft rubber but a hard plastic that had no give or cushioning against the glasses.  Is the NEX 6 eye cup different?

-- hide signature --

dancph

dtrph's gear list:dtrph's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony SLT-A65 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +6 more
clail
Contributing MemberPosts: 524Gear list
Like?
In reply to RGBaker, Nov 20, 2012

I also had problems with Nex 7 demo unit at the store, was worried that I can't see properly as well with my glasses on with my Nex 6 on pre order then. What a relief when I got my 6, no such issues other than a headache on the first day as I was squinting too much. Now I really enjoy using the EVF! Compared to the demo 7, the 6 EVF seems much better, much smoother when panning, seems brighter as the 7doesn't quite get the WB right indoors at the store. I really can't see properly with the EVF on 7 even making the diopter adjustments I simply can't use my glasses. I get double vision and all kinds of distortions/difractions with glasses on. Strange that it is crystal clear on the 6.

clail's gear list:clail's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +7 more
Raffwal
Like?
In reply to Raffwal, Dec 9, 2012

Today I was finally able to give both the NEXes, 6 and 7 a try in the same session. And the NEX-6 viewfinder seemed to work much better with glasses, it both turned on more easily and did not turn off so eagerly with head movement. Now I'm seriously considering the 6.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,802Gear list
Like?
In reply to Raffwal, Dec 9, 2012

The EVF on the 6 is less noisy in low light levels which makes manual focussing a bit easier.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

firefox23508
Contributing MemberPosts: 753
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, Dec 9, 2012

I briefly owned the 6 and I saw no difference between the EVF on the 6 or my 7.  While I had read that the 6 eyecup was supposed to be softer rubber, it was identical to the 7s.  I wonder if the differences experienced by responders to this thread could be attributed to sample variation.

wblink
Regular MemberPosts: 189Gear list
Like?
In reply to Adamant, Dec 10, 2012

Adamant wrote:

I wear glasses and use a NEX-6 and haven't had a problem. Diopter adjustment plus a nice rubber eye cup work great. It doesn't shut off on me unexpectedly.

I went just for THAT reason from Nikon 1 V1 to Sony NEX-7. With NO RUBBER CUP on the NEX-7 it is the best evf for me I've ever seen.

I've just ordered a NEX--6 supposing it has the same awesome evf. It does I hope?

-- hide signature --

Willem.
Sony NEX-7

wblink's gear list:wblink's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +1 more
rurouni
Regular MemberPosts: 427
Like?
In reply to Raffwal, Dec 10, 2012

I found myself also uncomfortable with the NEX-7's EVF switching when I did not intend it with my glasses on (mine are large glasses). So much so that I put off buying the NEX-7 and waiting to see if a 7N would appear. Well then along came the NEX-6

With the NEX-6 I find that I have less of an issue with it auto switching with my glasses.

In terms of image quality, I find that the EVF in the NEX-6 is tuned differently in terms of how it recreates the image. Colors are still a little too punchy but does not seem as much so as on the NEX-7.

Both are leading edge EVFs in the market however.

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,396
Like?
In reply to rurouni, Dec 10, 2012

I would try and find a rubber extension off a RX1 view finder in the near future, it's huge and soft and protrudes much further out...I have found my glasses actually damaged the LCD screen on my Nex-7...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,211
Like?
In reply to rurouni, Dec 10, 2012

I use the NEX 7 with glasses (I am farsighted) and I can only use it without the rubber eyecup. This because the included eyecup puts my eye too far back to see/view the whole frame.

One problem with my now cupless viewfinder is that the surface of the "naked viewfinder" scratches my glasses something fierce. I had to replace the glasses after a short period of "naked viewfinder" use.

To overcome this I got some sticky felt pad and cut out pieces that cover the rim of the bare viewfinder. After a few cutting sessions, the current one has been on and working well for several months now.

Reverse engineering at its best ...

Another problem for me is that  the viewfinder definitely need a much higher eye point (maybe 30 mm instead of its 20 current mm) to work completely for me, I still have to move my eye around to get the whole view. But it is much better now than before with the cup.

Sony: redesign the finder for (1) soft edges and (2) larger eye point and I would be  much more happy and  content.

Frytek
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
In reply to uhligfd, Jan 12, 2013

uhligfd wrote:

I use the NEX 7 with glasses (I am farsighted) and I can only use it without the rubber eyecup. This because the included eyecup puts my eye too far back to see/view the whole frame.

One problem with my now cupless viewfinder is that the surface of the "naked viewfinder" scratches my glasses something fierce. I had to replace the glasses after a short period of "naked viewfinder" use.

To overcome this I got some sticky felt pad and cut out pieces that cover the rim of the bare viewfinder. After a few cutting sessions, the current one has been on and working well for several months now.

Another problem for me is that the viewfinder definitely need a much higher eye point (maybe 30 mm instead of its 20 current mm) to work completely for me, I still have to move my eye around to get the whole view. But it is much better now than before with the cup.

Sony: redesign the finder for (1) soft edges and (2) larger eye point and I would be much more happy and content.

Could you show me how it looks? I need to do sth similar..

meThom
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
In reply to Frytek, Feb 6, 2013

Frytek wrote:

uhligfd wrote:

Another problem for me is that the viewfinder definitely need a much higher eye point (maybe 30 mm instead of its 20 current mm) to work completely for me, I still have to move my eye around to get the whole view. But it is much better now than before with the cup.

Sony: redesign the finder for (1) soft edges and (2) larger eye point and I would be much more happy and content.

Could you show me how it looks? I need to do sth similar..

I too was worried about scratching my glasses if I took the rubber cup off. My solution was to chop off most of the rubber and rubbing it smooth with different grades of sand paper (well, wet & dry actually). This compromise between no eye cup and the regular one works well for me.

meThom's gear list:meThom's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads