SX50: Jupiter detail

Started Nov 18, 2012 | Discussions
Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 3,763Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50: Jupiter detail
In reply to Grobb, Nov 23, 2012

tron555 wrote:

Sorry, but all those images look like blurry, blown out, white spheres to me and are devoid of any detectable detail. I don’t think the SX50 (or any bridge camera) with a 1/2.3” sensor can get any fine detail being that far away. It would take a much more expensive camera/lens combination to truly capture any actual detail of Saturn, or any planet other than maybe the Earth’s moon. I don’t even see any of its rings, or am I missing something from those images?

These are images from NASA-JPL:

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/jpegMod/PIA16169_modest.jpg

Now can you perceive how OUTSTANDINGLY EXCEPTIONAL the images in this thread, captured with a less than $500 bridge camera, are?!

All the best,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P600
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Grobb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
In reply to Augustin Man, Nov 23, 2012

The SX50 is a very impressive bridge camera and if I was in the market for a super zoom, that would be my first choice. I was simply suggesting that trying to get sharp images of Jupiter with it is being a bit unrealistic, that’s all. I meant no offense to the OP, Jupiter is a beautiful planet.

http://science.nasa.gov/media/medialibrary/2010/09/15/Alan-Friedman1.jpg

coffeeaddiction2012
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?
In reply to jakesan, Nov 23, 2012

Pretty cool for a P/S

topshot61
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
In reply to coffeeaddiction2012, Nov 24, 2012

Jakeson, your effort is just great.

I tried capturing Jupiter with the SX50 using 100x, but met with great difficulty in keeping the image at the center of frame for 10 consecutive snaps, in timer mode, using the tripod.

finally had to settle for a hand held shot @iso 1600, which showed 4 moons and the disc.

I have a query, I tried to align 10 images of the moon taken consecutively using Registx, to get a stack, the aling ment says it is thru, but the images are not alinged at all. the Image size that I have is 2000x1500.

thanks for any help in advance.

hats off again!

topshot61's gear list:topshot61's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50
jakesan
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
In reply to topshot61, Nov 25, 2012

I tried capturing Jupiter with the SX50 using 100x, but met with great difficulty in keeping the image at the center of frame for 10 consecutive snaps, in timer mode, using the tripod.

finally had to settle for a hand held shot @iso 1600, which showed 4 moons and the disc.

I have a query, I tried to align 10 images of the moon taken consecutively using Registx, to get a stack, the aling ment says it is thru, but the images are not alinged at all. the Image size that I have is 2000x1500.

Thanks, topshot

...but met with great difficulty in keeping the image at the center of frame for 10 consecutive snaps...

I'm using a spindly tripod with a small ball-head so I feel your pain!  I've since dug out a big pan-tilt but the skies have been terrible since.

This was also my first go with Registax and I just felt my way through it with little instruction. I have not tried it with the moon, please post your results.

Note: I had to use the older version 5 because version 6 would not accept my images because they were too misaligned from each other (known problem with v6).

1. LOAD the images. 
  2. Click an "alignbox" on a high-contrast area of your image.
  3. Click the Align button up top.
  4. Look below your image and the "stacksize" should say 10/10 if it accepted all 10 of your images.
  5. Click the LIMIT button up top.
  6. Click the Optimize and Stack button.
  7. Click Realign with Processed, then click Optimize and Stack again.
  8. Wavelet options: change the Filter from Gaussian to Default.
  9. Play with the Layer settings. Layers 1 and 2 should be keep at 1 or very low. The higher Layers can be set gradually higher, avoid artifacts.  Turn Layers on and off to see the exact effect of each layer.
  10. Click Do All when done.  Save the final image or copy into clipboard (from the Final tab).

topshot61
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
In reply to jakesan, Dec 4, 2012

jakesan wrote:

Thanks, topshot

...but met with great difficulty in keeping the image at the center of frame for 10 consecutive snaps...

I'm using a spindly tripod with a small ball-head so I feel your pain! I've since dug out a big pan-tilt but the skies have been terrible since.

This was also my first go with Registax and I just felt my way through it with little instruction. I have not tried it with the moon, please post your results.

Note: I had to use the older version 5 because version 6 would not accept my images because they were too misaligned from each other (known problem with v6).

1. LOAD the images.
  2. Click an "alignbox" on a high-contrast area of your image.
  3. Click the Align button up top.
  4. Look below your image and the "stacksize" should say 10/10 if it accepted all 10 of your images.
  5. Click the LIMIT button up top.
  6. Click the Optimize and Stack button.
  7. Click Realign with Processed, then click Optimize and Stack again.
  8. Wavelet options: change the Filter from Gaussian to Default.
  9. Play with the Layer settings. Layers 1 and 2 should be keep at 1 or very low. The higher Layers can be set gradually higher, avoid artifacts. Turn Layers on and off to see the exact effect of each layer.
  10. Click Do All when done. Save the final image or copy into clipboard (from the Final tab).

Many many thanks, downloaded ver. 5  and will try out.

topshot61's gear list:topshot61's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50
For the love of zoom
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
In reply to jakesan, Dec 4, 2012

Finally someone's tried this - well done!!

I have the older relation - canon s3is and have stacked 3 teleconverters on the front to produce the same resolution as the SX50hs and took these image of Jupiter:

Jupiter from s3is with teleconverter

Jupiter from s3is with teleconverter

These images are the result of stacking about 15 images I think.  So I reckon if you stacked images you should be able to produce as much detail as these.  You should then try and shoot Saturn, because again you can get reasonable detail:

Here's one I took with an SX10is of Saturn (no stacking in this):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peaceboyuk/5663352859/in/set-72157628356943871/

And for good luck here's a couple of the moon again with the s3is using stacking:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peaceboyuk/8210946181/in/set-72157628356943871

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peaceboyuk/8150112378/in/set-72157628356943871

For the love of zoom
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
In reply to For the love of zoom, Dec 4, 2012

Jakesan, sorry I hadn't seen your later images, just the first one in my last post.  Your later ones with stacking are fantastic - well done!  The next thing would be to try and fix a teleconverter on the front - not easy as it shouldn't really be dirrectly carried by the front, but somehow mounted.  I managed this with my SX10is, so it is possible.  Anyway, that's for another day.  Well done with Jupiter and yes Saturn next!

KiwiD70
Regular MemberPosts: 484
Like?
In reply to For the love of zoom, Dec 11, 2012

It might be useful to put these shots in perspective by taking a look at what in 2001 was touted as 'probably the highest resolution images of Jupiter ever taken from the Earth' at http://www.astro.caltech.edu/palomar/jupiter.html

As it says, these shots were taken with the 200" (that's the mirror diameter) Hale telescope using what was state of the art adaptive optics in 2001...many million $ worth of kit.

Capturing any detail at all on Jupiter in a photograph was a major challenge 20 yrs ago, to get the shots shown in this forum with a P&S is phenomenal!

It's also interesting to see how far amateur astrophotography has progressed in the last decades, check out http://astro.christone.net/jupiter/index.htm to see how a keen amateur can now  far outclass the best professional results of 2001, using only a 14" Celestron telescope.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe — Albert Einstein

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads