Nikon D600 gold award

Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions
Steve FStop
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006Gear list
Like?
Yes, best thing about the D600 is it's sensor.....
In reply to Karl Scharf, Nov 16, 2012

Karl Scharf wrote:

DPREVIEW just posted its review of the Nikon D600 that has the same sensor as the Sony A99:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/11/13/nikon-d600-review-posted

Otherwise, you are only getting what you pay for = A Basic Plastic Bodied Entry Level FF that comes complete with a DPR Gold Award (and complimentary dust bunnies) 

Steve FStop's gear list:Steve FStop's gear list
Apple iPhone 5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
phiri
Contributing MemberPosts: 967Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D600 gold award
In reply to 3systermuser, Nov 16, 2012

3systermuser wrote:

if you really used it extensively like I did , you would know it is a cheap very slow camera with very poor build.

the AF in this camera is very old dated D7k AF system ,which is known to have many many minor design flaws.

the OVF in this camera has really annoying yellow tint in it.

the video is very bad , you can even not change f number in video and LV mode.

although built like a toy , this so-called entry level FX is heavier than my A99v,which actually replaced my D600.

I also have a D800 and I think the D800 is a much better camera than the D600.

so, if you want a Nikon , get the D800, what you get what you pay for , the D600 is not any kind of rival or threat to the A99v or the D800.

by the way, the dust issue is serious (very serious)and it alone should have made it a not-recommended kind of camera(if the review had been honest)

-- hide signature --

derek.

You must be on the mission with this in every forum. You did not like it, who cares? What makes you think that everyone values what you value? It is apparent that while that the D600 has the AF modulensimilar to that of the D7000, it is much better. I have the D7000 and I have played with the D600 several times and I can attest to that while fomparing them side by side. And now the yellow tint has extended to the OVF? is your purchase of the a99 threatened by the D600 in anyway? Are you afraid that people will prefer to buy the D600? The reality is that the Nikon D600 will sell more than a99 but that does not make the a99 a bad camera. Actually the sales figures will not really depend much on the capabilities. The canon 6D will also outsell the a99. Actually all FFs will outsell the a99 just because of the broader user base in the other camps. If you can accept this fact, you will truly enjoy your camera because nothing out there will matter

phiri's gear list:phiri's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
phiri
Like?
In reply to 3systermuser, Nov 16, 2012

3systermuser wrote:

the D600 was also a very slow camera in operation speed and its LCD has some some annoying green cast in it but at least it can display images very fast even in Adobe RGB mode.

but again its dust and poor build quality should have made it a not-recommended kind of camera.

-- hide signature --

derek.

Yeah right...... You have never used a D600. Just accept it. The world will not end simply because the D600 is overshadowing the a99. Accept that man and you will be a very happy man. Blame Sony for its poor timing of release. Now everybody is comparing it to the D600 in stead of its real competitors the D800 and the 5DMKIII. Now what do you think will be the score for a99? The minus points will be its AF array compared to the 5DMKIII and D800, High ISO etc. They will give pluses on AF limiter. The score will be around 79. Now folks here will go crazy because they will wonder why the D600 was given this high score and a99 only 79 forgetting that the D600 will only compete with the Canon 6D

Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Bobby72
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
In reply to phiri, Nov 16, 2012

Mann what a reaction's on this item. People have to keep it much more simple. Compare cameras by yourself and see what is the best one for you. A test never knows who you are and how you use it. The score does not say that much. It only says it is a good camera. Like the A99 is. It is different. I prefer the A99 cause of a personal preference. With my Samsung plasma screen it can give a much more dynamic and colourful image. I could even buy A Nikon D800 for less then I had to pay for the Sony. I really didn't care. I want only what is best for me. Nikon is still very good, but in my world a Sony 99 is superior. Why? Because at my Samsung screen the image is superior to that of the Nikon D600. I will do 50% video and 50% photos. In video mode the A99 is so much better usable. The flexible screen gives you much more controle over the video. Now I can see what the picture will be before I can make it. And mann panaoramic photos is so great to shoot. I cannot imagine not to have this on my camera. So Be happy and buy the camera what fitts you.

TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,447
Like?
Apparently you care enough....

phiri wrote:

3systermuser wrote:

if you really used it extensively like I did , you would know it is a cheap very slow camera with very poor build.

the AF in this camera is very old dated D7k AF system ,which is known to have many many minor design flaws.

although built like a toy , this so-called entry level FX is heavier than my A99v,which actually replaced my D600.

so, if you want a Nikon , get the D800, what you get what you pay for , the D600 is not any kind of rival or threat to the A99v or the D800.

by the way, the dust issue is serious (very serious)and it alone should have made it a not-recommended kind of camera(if the review had been honest)

-- hide signature --

derek.

You must be on the mission with this in every forum. You did not like it, who cares?

Apparently you care enough to devote most of your forum time in other forums, specifically this one.

Weren't you the one who's been saying for 2 weeks that we shouldn't care what others think if it ticks the right boxes for us? To use your own words, are you threatened by the positive A99 experiences overshadowing the D600 problems?

bad camera. Actually the sales figures will not really depend much on the capabilities. The canon 6D will also outsell the a99. Actually all FFs will outsell the a99 just because of the broader user base in the other camps. If you can accept this fact, you will truly enjoy your camera because nothing out there will matter

You keep bringing up sales (clearly to help justify your choice), yet also attempt to tell us that sales don't matter. Note the irony.

TrojMacReady
Like?
True Phiri colours starting to show again.

phiri wrote:

3systermuser wrote:

the D600 was also a very slow camera in operation speed and its LCD has some some annoying green cast in it but at least it can display images very fast even in Adobe RGB mode.

but again its dust and poor build quality should have made it a not-recommended kind of camera.

-- hide signature --

derek.

Yeah right...... You have never used a D600. Just accept it. The world will not end simply because the D600 is overshadowing the a99. Accept that man and you will be a very happy man. Blame Sony for its poor timing of release. Now everybody is comparing it to the D600 in stead of its real competitors the D800 and the 5DMKIII. Now what do you think will be the score for a99? The minus points will be its AF array compared to the 5DMKIII and D800, High ISO etc. They will give pluses on AF limiter. The score will be around 79. Now folks here will go crazy because they will wonder why the D600 was given this high score and a99 only 79 forgetting that the D600 will only compete with the Canon 6D

Didn't take long for you to drop your facade again.

phiri
Like?
Re: True Phiri colours starting to show again.
In reply to TrojMacReady, Nov 16, 2012

TrojMacReady wrote:

phiri wrote:

3systermuser wrote:

-- hide signature --

derek.

Troj, let us bet on this one. Do you remember when i said on this very forum that the next Sony FF would not be priced less than 2500 US Dollars and I even alleged that it would at least 100 or 200 of the D800 based on what was happening in the APS-C segment? I dont look at these things emotionally. I can tell you also that with current FFs the 5DMKIII has a better AF system than the Nikon D800 which of course Nikon diehards would Not accept. Or I should ask, how do you thinknit will fair with the rest not that it matters real users?

phiri
Like?
Re: Apparently you care enough....
In reply to TrojMacReady, Nov 16, 2012

TrojMacReady wrote:

phiri wrote:

3systermuser wrote:

-- hide signature --

derek.

You must be on the mission with this in every forum. You did not like it, who cares?

Apparently you care enough to devote most of your forum time in other forums, specifically this one.

Weren't you the one who's been saying for 2 weeks that we shouldn't care what others think if it ticks the right boxes for us? To use your own words, are you threatened by the positive A99 experiences overshadowing the D600 problems?

bad camera. Actually the sales figures will not really depend much on the capabilities. The canon 6D will also outsell the a99. Actually all FFs will outsell the a99 just because of the broader user base in the other camps. If you can accept this fact, you will truly enjoy your camera because nothing out there will matter

You keep bringing up sales (clearly to help justify your choice), yet also attempt to tell us that sales don't matter. Note the irony.

Look, you are definately not seeing it from my perspective. I was advising this dude that by bad mouthing the D600 wont change the sales figures at all. So what is the point of going that way if it changes nothing or very little. It is just better to embrace what he has. It is not a secret that when it comes to sales figures, the a99 is likely to come in the last position but that has nothing to do with wheher the a99 is better or worse. Now do you get my argument?

TrojMacReady
Like?
Still not getting the point.

phiri wrote:

TrojMacReady wrote:

phiri wrote:

3systermuser wrote:

-- hide signature --

derek.

I dont look at these things emotionally.

You spend most of your forum time defending Nikon products in Sony DSLR (first) and Canon DSLR (second) forums, often bringing up sales arguments for no apparent on topic reason. No, nothing emotional, anyone can see that.

TrojMacReady
Like?
Re: Apparently you care enough....

phiri wrote:

TrojMacReady wrote:

phiri wrote:

3systermuser wrote:

-- hide signature --

derek.

Look, you are definately not seeing it from my perspective. I was advising this dude that by bad mouthing the D600 wont change the sales figures at all. So what is the point of going that way if it changes nothing or very little. It is just better to embrace what he has. It is not a secret that when it comes to sales figures, the a99 is likely to come in the last position but that has nothing to do with wheher the a99 is better or worse. Now do you get my argument?

What makes you think sales are his motive? You keep bringing up sales for no apparent reason other than your own misty brainwaves. And to follow your reasoning above, what makes you think that your rants in Sony and Canon forums about their perception of Nikon cameras will have any effect on sales?

What's your beef in these forums to begin with, going by your own mantra "shoot what you're happy with, stop caring about the rest"? You've already shared with us that you will "never leave Nikon".

I've never understood people giving out advice they refuse to follow themselves.

Iliah Borg
Forum ProPosts: 16,063
Like?
Re: Nikon colour
In reply to TrojMacReady, Nov 17, 2012

TrojMacReady wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

TrojMacReady wrote

The person you replied to is a RAW shooter, so I assume this was about RAW output. And while you can create your own profiles, colour response and especially separation are hard and sometimes impossible to counter through profiles after the fact. People who help create RAW converters can tell you all about it (Iliah Borg for example).

I doubt a well exposed image with proper conversion will suffer from any color issues, any maker.

That's a fun quote to pass on to Iliah. Just to see what he thinks.

Well, I think it is not accurate enough. First of all, one needs to define what exposure is. To show a little of what I mean here - can one expose properly if the light source is not of continuous and smooth spectrum power distribution? And if it is not, how the properties of CFA (like channel overlapping and selectivity) affect the result?

Iliah Borg
Forum ProPosts: 16,063
Like?
Re: Nikon colour
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, Nov 17, 2012

Amateur Sony Shooter wrote:

It's interesting to see I am not alone with option of "Nikon Colour". I used D300 and D7000 for more than a few occasions and compare to Sony files I can't stand their colour: dull, lack of shadow details while highlight got clipping away at the same time. Yes Nikon has less noise but the whole image looks like grayscale with colour overlay.

It is interesting that you are not alone, but in some very sad way, like listening to complaints that bicycles are not stable coming from the folks who never got to learn riding those.

Michaels7
Contributing MemberPosts: 503Gear list
Like?
Nikon D600 is now under 2000.
In reply to mkdafne, Nov 18, 2012

mkdafne wrote:

I'm not really sure as to what you mean by that last statement of "too many features", but I can completely understand why people think the a99 is overpriced (I know I did). For past history, I've been using the a700 for some time now, and recently purchased a D600. I've also used the a850 and a900. Personally, I'm not against using an SLT (I actually liked it when I test out the a77). I don't think DPR should take off points for it, as I found them to work really well (except in certain, uncommon situations). Now, I haven't used the a99, but I did the a77 and I found it to be unresponsive. The menu's tended to lag, off to on time was noticeable long, and the camera needed some time to catch up after I had changed settings. Interesting, I never had these issues with any older Sony cameras. I'm hoping that these issues were resolved with the a99. The major reason that I switched to Nikon was price. I don't think the D600 is a miracle camera, but over the past month, I have found that it works INCREDIBLY well. The only two issues I have had is the green shift AWB (which I fixed by taking two seconds to go into the Custom AWB menu) and the obnoxiously bright AF assist lamp (I have not missed it once since I turned it off, the AF is actually that good in dark light). My major concern with the D600 was the lack of external controls. However, this is the first camera (including the a77) that I feel I can almost totally really on Auto ISO, matrix metering, and AWB in ALL conditions. I know that some people in this forum don't feel that the D600 doesn't deserve such a high score, but use it and I think you will change your mind. That said, I think DPR were perfectly accurate in their assumption that this camera will undercut the a99, D800, and 5D Mark iii. Sony already has a difficult time tempting people to switch over from Nikon or Canon, and the D600 (and 6D) will only make it tougher. I think Sony could make headway if they release a fullframe for less than 2000.

Nikon lowered the price again. Looks like Sony lowered the price on the A77 too. It's barely over 1000.00. Wagering this is holiday related. Regarding the lag. That's not an issue on the A99. I can tell you this from my own personal use.

I think that Dpreview was fair in their review. Something that I don't always agree with, but this was fair. I know someone that had done the opposite of you; he switched from a D800 to A99. He hated the "ish focusing." That's his quote. I'm predicting that we'll see a price drop on the A99 a lot more sooner than later. While the A99 is price positioned against the D800 and 5D III, I agree about the price undercut that the D600 effect will have on the higher end cameras. Most consumers will go that route.

Michaels7's gear list:Michaels7's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads