Nex M39 adapter

Started Nov 13, 2012 | Questions
peeterpeeter
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Nex M39 adapter
Nov 13, 2012

Hi

I have a problem with my M39/L39 adapter i just got from mail. I've tried four different

lenses on this adapter and non of them focus correctly (old russian lenses). I'm getting blurry

photographs from all distances with all the lenses. The blurrines isnt minor, its like the distance from the sensor is all wrong. What am i missing? I thought the difference between the L39 and M39 is barely noticeable and can be corrected with the adjustable inner ring on the adapter.

the product i ordered:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Leica-L39-M39-Lens-Sony-NEX-E-Mount-Adapter-NEX-3-NEX-5-NEX-7-NEX-C3-DC109-/180748714749

so what kind of lenses i could use with this adapter?

thanks

p

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Jim Parsons
Contributing MemberPosts: 749
Like?
Re: Nex M39 adapter
In reply to peeterpeeter, Nov 13, 2012

That adapter is intended for use with L39/LTM Leica mount rangefinder lenses. This mount is also sometimes referred to as M39.

The M39 mount can have two registration distances, depending on which camera is involved. It would appear that you have lenses that are not compatible with the rangefinder registration distance.

Which particular lenses do you have?

See discussion here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=51968

-- hide signature --

Jim Parsons

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
flint-hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,215
Like?
In reply to Jim Parsons, Nov 13, 2012

Following on to what Jim said, if these are Zenit M39 lenses, you'll need an M39-to-M42 adapter and an M42-NEX adapter.

peeterpeeter
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to flint-hill, Nov 13, 2012

thanks for the quick replies, i was trying them out in a market, i cant remember all the lenses but one of them was Mir-1, which actually focused on a very close subject, but no infinity.

i cant understand what lenses i can use with this adapter? any suggestions?

thanks

p

Jim Parsons
Contributing MemberPosts: 749
Like?
In reply to peeterpeeter, Nov 13, 2012

peeterpeeter wrote:

thanks for the quick replies, i was trying them out in a market, i cant remember all the lenses but one of them was Mir-1, which actually focused on a very close subject, but no infinity.

thanks

p

Do a ebay search for Leica, L39, or LTM lenses and you'll get an idea what you need to look for.

-- hide signature --

Jim Parsons

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 6,865
Like?
In reply to flint-hill, Nov 13, 2012

flint-hill wrote:

Following on to what Jim said, if these are Zenit M39 lenses, you'll need an M39-to-M42 adapter and an M42-NEX adapter.

A better option is the M39 Helicoid adapter. It is listed as "Leica M39 L39 lens to Sony E mount NEX adapter Macro Focusing Helicoid 17-31 mm" on eBay here in the UK.

That comes out at the right thickness for Zenit lenses, and if the focus screw on the lens is stiff, you can use the one in the adapter.

flint-hill
Like?
Pretty much any of these will work ...
In reply to peeterpeeter, Nov 14, 2012

If you have good access to Russian lenses, any of them that are intended for FED or Zorki cameras will work fine. Just stay away from lenses intended for the Zenit camera.

Here's a list of some with US prices ...

http://fedka.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24

A more exhaustive list is here:

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/39mm_screw_lenses

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 6,865
Like?
Re: Pretty much any of these will work ...
In reply to flint-hill, Nov 14, 2012

flint-hill wrote:

If you have good access to Russian lenses, any of them that are intended for FED or Zorki cameras will work fine. Just stay away from lenses intended for the Zenit camera.

There's no need to stay away from them. You just need the right adapter.

flint-hill
Like?
Re: Pretty much any of these will work ...
In reply to D Cox, Nov 14, 2012

We're answering different questions, I think.

The OP asked:

> i cant understand what lenses i can use with this adapter? any suggestions?

So I recommended lenses with a standard Leica registration distance.

Stujomo
Contributing MemberPosts: 825
Like?
In reply to peeterpeeter, Nov 14, 2012

peeterpeeter wrote:

thanks

p

If you can focus very close but no where near infinity then the adapter is to long and is likely for M39 SLR lenses. To work with LTM rangefinder lenses you need the correct adapter for L39 thread mount lenses.

Oleg L K
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
In reply to peeterpeeter, Nov 15, 2012

Yes, you most probably have Zenit lenses ("Mir" series - for sure).

For lenses that aren't too heavy you can use your (rangefinder) M39 adapter and M39 extension rings. In most cases it's even better than having the original rangefinder lens - when the same lens came in both rangefinder and SLR variants, the latter has smaller minimum-focus distance.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads