D600 and D7000 shutter scratch - another reason for spots?

Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions
tisbonephoto
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
D600 and D7000 shutter scratch - another reason for spots?
Nov 13, 2012

Just found another potential reason of the "oil/dust" problems. The coating on the lower part of the shutter courtain gets scratched off as it moves (maybe sweeped is a better word).. I first noticed it in my friend's D7000 with a higher shutter count - it's pretty evident. In my D600 it's only noticable if I look at a right angle. There are shiny(-er), curved stripes on the matte coating.

D7000 shutter scratch

D600 shutter scratch

Anyone else have it?
I wonder what Nikon would say - "normal wear"?  "Sand got in"? Sent them those pictures today.
D700 shutter is made of different material - no problems there, D300 and D90 shutters look similar to D600, but I haven't found any scratches either.

-- hide signature --

www.topinfrared.com

Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Leo360
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031
Like?
another scratch thread already exists
In reply to tisbonephoto, Nov 13, 2012

tisbonephoto wrote:

Just found another potential reason of the "oil/dust" problems. The coating on the lower part of the shutter courtain gets scratched off as it moves (maybe sweeped is a better word).. I first noticed it in my friend's D7000 with a higher shutter count - it's pretty evident. In my D600 it's only noticable if I look at a right angle. There are shiny(-er), curved stripes on the matte coating.

Forum search is your friend!

Leo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tisbonephoto
Like?
Re: another scratch thread already exists
In reply to Leo360, Nov 13, 2012

Leo360 wrote:

tisbonephoto wrote:

Leo

seems it's not. I've spent some time searching for it. can you paste me a link?

-- hide signature --

www.topinfrared.com

Leo360
Like?
In reply to tisbonephoto, Nov 14, 2012

tisbonephoto wrote:

Leo360 wrote:

tisbonephoto wrote:

Leo

seems it's not. I've spent some time searching for it. can you paste me a link?

-- hide signature --

www.topinfrared.com

I did in my previous post. Phrase "Forum is your friend" is a link.

Leo

bwigg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,156
Like?
In reply to Leo360, Nov 14, 2012

Looks like a different issue. The other thread concerns an issue with the mirror box vs. the shutter

tisbonephoto
Like?
In reply to bwigg, Nov 14, 2012

bwigg wrote:

Looks like a different issue. The other thread concerns an issue with the mirror box vs. the shutter

indeed. I also have the AF sensor cover scratch and it's visible in the picture, but I'm now talking about SHUTTER scratch

-- hide signature --

www.topinfrared.com

eolian
Regular MemberPosts: 268
Like?
In reply to tisbonephoto, Nov 15, 2012

I have the scratch on my D600 shutter as well.  Can some other people check other camera models to see if this is normal?

-- hide signature --

www.stevegongphoto.com

Leo360
Like?
In reply to eolian, Nov 15, 2012

eolian wrote:

I have the scratch on my D600 shutter as well. Can some other people check other camera models to see if this is normal?

-- hide signature --

www.stevegongphoto.com

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I see a shutter long enough to take a picture of it? When I remove a lens I only see the mirror

Leo

Catalana
Senior MemberPosts: 1,125Gear list
Like?
In reply to Leo360, Nov 15, 2012

Mirror lock up....

Catalana's gear list:Catalana's gear list
Pentax K-5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +9 more
Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?
In reply to Catalana, Nov 15, 2012

Catalana wrote:

Mirror lock up....

Mirror lock up shows the sensor he wants to know how you only see the shutter curtain without seeing the sensor like the image posted. Which now I am curious about too.

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Leo360
Like?
In reply to Nikonfan99, Nov 16, 2012

Nikonfan99 wrote:

Catalana wrote:

Mirror lock up....

Mirror lock up shows the sensor he wants to know how you only see the shutter curtain without seeing the sensor like the image posted. Which now I am curious about too.

That is precisely my point. I can see a mirror or a sensor or I can see a shutter curtains closing on me very quickly. How do I stop them long enough to take a picture?

Leo

Catalana
Like?
In reply to Leo360, Nov 16, 2012

As I said...turn the mode dial to "Mup", remove the lens with the camera off, turn the camera on and then press the shutter release button. Even with the lens off, the mirror will lock up and the shutter curtain will only cycle on the full or second press of the shutter release button. In other words, you can perform "Mup" on the half press of the shutter release button and continue to the full press to then take the picture. If you half press for Mup, let go of the button, the shutter will fire on its own after 30 seconds...plenty of time to take a shot of the curtain. You guys should know that Just watch for dust bunnies and don't go poking around in the mirror box.

Pentax K-5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +9 more
Leo360
Like?
In reply to Catalana, Nov 16, 2012

Catalana wrote:

As I said...turn the mode dial to "Mup", remove the lens with the camera off, turn the camera on and then press the shutter release button. Even with the lens off, the mirror will lock up and the shutter curtain will only cycle on the full or second press of the shutter release button. In other words, you can perform "Mup" on the half press of the shutter release button and continue to the full press to then take the picture. If you half press for Mup, let go of the button, the shutter will fire on its own after 30 seconds...plenty of time to take a shot of the curtain. You guys should know that Just watch for dust bunnies and don't go poking around in the mirror box.

I am still stashing cash for my D600 But I got the idea. On my D5100 it is called "bulb" mode. I will try it. Thanks!

Leo

Nikonfan99
Like?

Thank you I never had a need to that or knew about it.

Catalana
Like?
In reply to Leo360, Nov 16, 2012

Leo,

"bulb" mode, as far as I have always understood it, is the ability to keep the shutter open indefinitely for long exposures. It would be used with a shutter release cable were you could lock the release button down, or set a time on the cable release, if it is electronically controlled. "Bulb" mode is only available in Manual mode and dialing the shutter speed to "bulb". "Bulb" is independent of the "Mup" function and works with Mup. There is a "--" (Time) function as well, but it would be mutually exclusive because it works with a remote release control (I think Nikon means wireless here), and that function is on the same dial as "Mup". Hope that helps...

Edit: You can select "Mup" for the Remote Control via the menu. Nikon D600 manual page 85...

tisbonephoto
Like?
In reply to Nikonfan99, Nov 16, 2012

You can just as well gently pull the mirror up with your finger, but in cameras that have "Mup" it's a much simpler idea

Remember to let me know when you guys check it. And with new cameras, you might have to look closely, at different angles...

-- hide signature --

www.topinfrared.com

Leo360
Like?

Catalana wrote:

Leo,

"bulb" mode, as far as I have always understood it, is the ability to keep the shutter open indefinitely for long exposures. It would be used with a shutter release cable were you could lock the release button down, or set a time on the cable release, if it is electronically controlled. "Bulb" mode is only available in Manual mode and dialing the shutter speed to "bulb". "Bulb" is independent of the "Mup" function and works with Mup. There is a "--" (Time) function as well, but it would be mutually exclusive because it works with a remote release control (I think Nikon means wireless here), and that function is on the same dial as "Mup". Hope that helps...

Edit: You can select "Mup" for the Remote Control via the menu. Nikon D600 manual page 85...

Thanks for clarification. I have not order my D600 yet. I tried it with my D5100 in so called "Quiet" (Q) shutter-mode and manual exposure. Press and hold the release button and shutter stays closed with mirror up. I do NOT have any scratches on my D5100 with about 8000 shutter actuations.

Leo

Nikonfan99
Like?
Re: D600 and D7000 shutter scratch - another reason for spots?
In reply to tisbonephoto, Nov 16, 2012

Just checked.....D600 serial number starts with 302 very very light scratches. could barely see them without tilting several times in light. Also checked my d7000. That camera was bought in march and it has the scratches. A little more noticeable compared to the d600 but still very light. You would really have to go looking for it to notice it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads