Datacolor 4 Spyder & Windows 8

Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions
geoffreyc
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
Datacolor 4 Spyder & Windows 8
Nov 13, 2012

Anybody using the Datacolor Spyder 4 with Windows 8 had any compatability problems?

herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,272
Like?
Re: Datacolor 4 Spyder & Windows 8
In reply to geoffreyc, Nov 13, 2012

I have no problem with my Spyder 3 and Windows 8, so I would expect the newer Spyder 4 to work with it as well.

There is really no great difference between the Windows 8 OS and the Windows 7 OS except for the way the desktop is treated.

Slightly faster boot up, slightly faster shut down.

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ferguson
Regular MemberPosts: 283
Like?
In reply to herebefore, Nov 23, 2012

I have the Spyder 3 sensor and the Spyder 4 elite software.  I just installed on Windows 8 and have had no luck -- it won't see the sensor.

I have Spectraview II for another monitor, and I tried it with the sensor, and it worked and calibrated fine, so the sensor is working with Windows 8, but the Spyder4Elite won't find it.

Ideas welcome to make it work.

Dinegbatty
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?
In reply to Ferguson, Dec 5, 2012

I have a spyder 4 elite works perfectly with win 8

Ferguson
Regular MemberPosts: 283
Like?
In reply to Dinegbatty, Dec 5, 2012

Dinegbatty wrote:

I have a spyder 4 elite works perfectly with win 8

I think I understand a part of my problem.

There's two versions of the software.  one appears to be for Spyder 4 (as in sensor).  At one point it was version 3.1.3 (+/-) then they sold a $10 or $20 (or something small) upgrade to version 4 Elite, but you didn't get a new sensor.  I  used that up through version 4.0.2 on Windows 7 with the Spyder3 sensor.

When I download the current V4 software it is 4.5.4, but it APPEARS that it works only with the Spyder4 sensor.  At least the Spyder3 sensor is not an option on 4.5.4, but does still show as an option on 4.0.2.

However, on 4.0.2 it will not see the sensor at all.  At least it doesn't for me.  Let me be more precise -- it sees the sensor as a device, it shows up and installs a driver, but when you run the program it says it cannot detect a sensor.

As a wild guess I am wondering if the Data Color software that is Windows 8 compatible may not be compatible with the Spyder3 sensor?

I keep meaning to open a support call but have never gotten around to it.

PS. The sensor itself works fine, as I use it with SpectraView II for my NEC monitor, plus I have two of the Spyder3 sensors, which I compared against each other (with SpectraView II) and both work fine on windows 8, but the Data Color software 4.5.4 will not give me the option of choosing a Spyder3 (nor will it use it when 4 is selected) and 4.0.2 will allow me to choose the Spyder3 but will not "detect" it.

PPS. Yes, I've tried installing Data Color without SpectraView II running.

PPPS. I think I am going to get rid of the last non-NEC monitor I have, and get all NEC, in which case I won't need Data Color at all.  SpectraView works perfectly.

BenMV
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to Ferguson, Dec 17, 2012

Hello guys,

this is Datacolor Support here.

Just to clarify, ALL Spyder3 and Spyder4 calibration products are compatible with Windows 8, together with their latest Datacolor Software which can be found here:

http://support.datacolor.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view

Spyder3 devices use the Spyder3 software versions. Spyder4 devices use Spyder4 software.

Last but not least, please do NOT mix up Spyder4ELITE with Spyder3ELITE software version 4.

One is for the Spyder4, the other for the Spyder3 measurement unit.

Best regards,

Datacolor Team

1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 718
Like?
In reply to BenMV, Dec 17, 2012

BenMV wrote:

Hello guys,

this is Datacolor Support here.

Just to clarify, ALL Spyder3 and Spyder4 calibration products are compatible with Windows 8, together with their latest Datacolor Software which can be found here:

http://support.datacolor.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view

Spyder3 devices use the Spyder3 software versions. Spyder4 devices use Spyder4 software.

Last but not least, please do NOT mix up Spyder4ELITE with Spyder3ELITE software version 4.

One is for the Spyder4, the other for the Spyder3 measurement unit.

Best regards,

Datacolor Team

BenMV,
Just want to put the good word in for DataColor's support. I've been using the Spyder3 for a number of years, but when I bought an upgrade to the software, I had all kinds of problems installing it. Contacted support and though it took a couple of days to hear back, they troubleshooted the issue and everything installed perfectly. Excellent company with excellent products.
Stan

VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 1,902Gear list
Like?
In reply to BenMV, Dec 17, 2012

I've got a Spyder3 running Spyder3Elite version 4 on Windows 8 Pro and I didn't have any issues getting it to work.

There are only two hiccups I have run into, but not game stoppers:

1. Upon installation of the software, it initially could not find my sensor.  But this was due to the sensor already being plugged in while the software was being installed.  Unplugging the sensor and plugging back in the software recognized the sensor and worked like a charm.  This occurred on Windows 7 as well, so it isn't Windows 8 specific.  Plus, I have had this occur for several other USB hardware devices so it isn't Datacolor specific.
  2. Upon reboot or power on, I don't always see the pop up window that comes up on each monitor showing what profile is being applied.  On Windows 7, when this occurred I can actually see the profile being applied work since my colors will shift slightly.  This gave me a sign the profiles were being applied appropriately.  With Windows 8, since I don't see the start up popup window showing profiles have been applied I usually end up opening the profile chooser to verify the profiles are in fact being used.  Selecting the appropriate profile then and refreshing doesn't show a difference, so I assume it is being applied.  I will only see a shift if I change profiles then go back to the appropriate one, which is a definite confirmation the profiles are being properly applied.  I've also verified the right profiles are set as the default profile within Windows display settings (I didn't set this, but found it this way).  So I am not sure if it is because of the new tile UI that the pop up window isn't seen every time upon start up.  I have verified that the Spyder Utility monitor that resides in the notification area has started up successfully every time.
-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +21 more
pknight
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?
In reply to BenMV, Jan 11, 2013

The link provided by DataColor in this thread does not work, at least for me.  When I go to the DataColor news page, there is a message from Dec 28, 2012 about the newest Spyder 4 Pro software, but the most recent version I can find in the download section is 4.5.4 from February 8, 2012.  What IS the latest version of the software for Spyder 4 Pro, and if it is not 4.5.4, how can it be found?

tomoo1000
Senior MemberPosts: 1,798
Like?
In reply to pknight, Jan 12, 2013

pknight wrote:

The link provided by DataColor in this thread does not work, at least for me. When I go to the DataColor news page, there is a message from Dec 28, 2012 about the newest Spyder 4 Pro software, but the most recent version I can find in the download section is 4.5.4 from February 8, 2012. What IS the latest version of the software for Spyder 4 Pro, and if it is not 4.5.4, how can it be found?

Try this.

Phil.

http://support.datacolor.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/88/windows

-- hide signature --

NPS Member
One's life is not measured by the two dates upon your tombstone, but how you lived the dash in between them

Brad Thompson
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to BenMV, Apr 13, 2013

Yes, ran into the same confusion.  Paid for a Spyder3Elite 3.x to 4.x software upgrade but it's version 4.02 of the Spyder3Elite.

I think Datacolor Marketing needs to work on the naming conventions.  hahahahaha.

Tareq Abdulla
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
In reply to geoffreyc, Apr 13, 2013

Thanks for reminding me to calibrate my laptop, i have 2 PC laptops but i am using the new one and ignoring the other, not sure if it will be fine with my Spyder3Elite version[ i don't have version 4 update], but all my Mac computers are not compatible with my Spyder3Elite anymore, they all running under Mountain Lion [10.8.x], so what i should do, buy Spyder4 or buy another calibration device such as X-Rite products?

Tareq Abdulla's gear list:Tareq Abdulla's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D +18 more
gonzalu
Forum ProPosts: 10,313Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 27, 2013

Just bought the Spyder4Elite. Windows 8 Enterprise x64, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 4000, Dual Xeon 6 Core. Video Drivers are 311.50 (latest)

Software installs no problem. Tray utility is running.. .when I try to launch the app, it keeps telling me I have no monitors installed... WTH?

Support told me to install as ADMIN. I mean, are these peeople really that dumb? THere is NO WAY to install software on Windows 8 without being admin. Duh!

But I did it anyway. THey also suggested I had to use the USB port next to the Keyboard or Mouse ... hahahaha. I have a wireless Kbd/Mouse... what is up with them?

Then they ignore that I am running the latest 4.5.4 version and they want me to install 4.5.4. This is a $200+ piece of hardware/software!!

BTW, It seems to break the power button on the Apple 30" Cinema Display!

gonzalu's gear list:gonzalu's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads