Datacolor 4 Spyder & Windows 8

Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions
geoffreyc
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
Datacolor 4 Spyder & Windows 8
Nov 13, 2012

Anybody using the Datacolor Spyder 4 with Windows 8 had any compatability problems?

herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,296
Like?
Re: Datacolor 4 Spyder & Windows 8
In reply to geoffreyc, Nov 13, 2012

I have no problem with my Spyder 3 and Windows 8, so I would expect the newer Spyder 4 to work with it as well.

There is really no great difference between the Windows 8 OS and the Windows 7 OS except for the way the desktop is treated.

Slightly faster boot up, slightly faster shut down.

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ferguson
Regular MemberPosts: 474
Like?
In reply to herebefore, Nov 23, 2012

I have the Spyder 3 sensor and the Spyder 4 elite software.  I just installed on Windows 8 and have had no luck -- it won't see the sensor.

I have Spectraview II for another monitor, and I tried it with the sensor, and it worked and calibrated fine, so the sensor is working with Windows 8, but the Spyder4Elite won't find it.

Ideas welcome to make it work.

Tareq Abdulla
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
In reply to geoffreyc, Apr 13, 2013

Thanks for reminding me to calibrate my laptop, i have 2 PC laptops but i am using the new one and ignoring the other, not sure if it will be fine with my Spyder3Elite version[ i don't have version 4 update], but all my Mac computers are not compatible with my Spyder3Elite anymore, they all running under Mountain Lion [10.8.x], so what i should do, buy Spyder4 or buy another calibration device such as X-Rite products?

Tareq Abdulla's gear list:Tareq Abdulla's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D +18 more
gonzalu
Forum ProPosts: 10,373Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 27, 2013

Just bought the Spyder4Elite. Windows 8 Enterprise x64, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 4000, Dual Xeon 6 Core. Video Drivers are 311.50 (latest)

Software installs no problem. Tray utility is running.. .when I try to launch the app, it keeps telling me I have no monitors installed... WTH?

Support told me to install as ADMIN. I mean, are these peeople really that dumb? THere is NO WAY to install software on Windows 8 without being admin. Duh!

But I did it anyway. THey also suggested I had to use the USB port next to the Keyboard or Mouse ... hahahaha. I have a wireless Kbd/Mouse... what is up with them?

Then they ignore that I am running the latest 4.5.4 version and they want me to install 4.5.4. This is a $200+ piece of hardware/software!!

BTW, It seems to break the power button on the Apple 30" Cinema Display!

gonzalu's gear list:gonzalu's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D3 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Ed Wilts
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
In reply to gonzalu, 8 months ago

I'm interesting in purchase a Syper4 unit but although one of the posts here says it's supported, looking at their download page, Windows 8 is still not mentioned.

http://support.datacolor.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1474/88/spyder4pro-454-windows

)32-bit or 64-bit versions of: XP, Vista or Windows 7

It says that Windows 7 is a *minimum* requirement but certainly doesn't clarify that Win8 is a supported option and the download is 2.5 years old already so it can be expected that there's doubt in the potential user community.

Ed Wilts's gear list:Ed Wilts's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads