What a great supprise.

Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions
Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,160Gear list
Like?
What a great supprise.
Nov 13, 2012

Hi all pentax uses. well today i sent a request the the studio ive just started working for for them to send me some full size images of a shoot they did on saturday with their canon 5dmk11. the reason being is they have hired me for a shoot tomorrow night for a year 12 grad ball and just wanted to make sure my k7 was well prepared for the night and wanted to compare my last shoot i did for them 3 weeks ago. against their ff canons.  Big supprise my k7 "and im not kidding" blew it out of the water ! my photos were so much sharper and detailed, the skintones were beautiful, also the auto focus letf the canon for dead and they were shooting at f9. so for all those pentax uses these machines are first class and would not go FF even if you gave me one.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

another year has gone, just cleared my 200 gallery images will start all over again, thanks to everyone that took the time to look.

Canon EOS 5D Pentax K-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
naththo
Regular MemberPosts: 262Gear list
Like?
Re: What a great supprise.
In reply to Donald B, Nov 13, 2012

Donald B wrote:

Hi all pentax uses. well today i sent a request the the studio ive just started working for for them to send me some full size images of a shoot they did on saturday with their canon 5dmk11. the reason being is they have hired me for a shoot tomorrow night for a year 12 grad ball and just wanted to make sure my k7 was well prepared for the night and wanted to compare my last shoot i did for them 3 weeks ago. against their ff canons. Big supprise my k7 "and im not kidding" blew it out of the water ! my photos were so much sharper and detailed, the skintones were beautiful, also the auto focus letf the canon for dead and they were shooting at f9. so for all those pentax uses these machines are first class and would not go FF even if you gave me one.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

another year has gone, just cleared my 200 gallery images will start all over again, thanks to everyone that took the time to look.

Wow good stuff thats how Sony sensor will blow Canon sensor out of water big time. There is no doubt Canon will never be able to beat Sony anytime soon. Its a good thing that Pentax and Nikon likes purchasing Sony sensor cos of the best quality you can get.

naththo's gear list:naththo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hanhait
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029Gear list
Like?
In reply to naththo, Nov 13, 2012

Isn't it a Samsung sensor ?

hanhait's gear list:hanhait's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +5 more
Donald B
Like?
In reply to naththo, Nov 13, 2012

Im realy excited now about the new k5 as it will give me more detail after looking at the comparrisions , dont no which one yet, will wait for more sample and reviews.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,694Gear list
Like?
In reply to hanhait, Nov 13, 2012

hanhait wrote:

Isn't it a Samsung sensor ?

Yep its the quad channel variant, Samsung sensor from the k20d probably the best sensor produce in its year of manufacture.

Pity Samsung couldn't stay the course once Sony turned the R&D screws.

Mind you we were the winners

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Donald B
Like?
whats a post without photos

sorry i cant post full head shots, as you no i cant, so i thought i would use just the eyes for this comparrision. somethings gotta be wrong with the canon shots surely ?

cheers don

-- hide signature --

djrocks66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,092Gear list
Like?
Re: whats a post without photos

I would not judge anything by one comparison. The Canon shot you show does look bad but the 5D is a very capable camera and Canon system is great as well. I love my K5 but I would use my friends 5DMKII with Speed-lights to shoot an event like that over the K5. Not that you won't do fine with the K7.  Go tohttp://photography-on-the.net and check out the photo sharing forums. Loaded with shots taken with 5D.

djrocks66's gear list:djrocks66's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
mrmeng
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?

may i know what lenses you using for your event shoots?

mrmeng's gear list:mrmeng's gear list
Ricoh GR
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,464
Like?

Sorry, Don - I agree that the Canon skin tones are wrong but the Pentax ones look just as bad in the opposite direction.  The Pentax version looks as if she is sufering from jaundice, with even the eyes having a yellow cast.  The Canon eyes look natural (although with no shadow detail - it's just the skin that's wrong in that one.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

mike703
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,839
Like?
Canon shot OOF?

Colours apart, it looks like the shot taken with the Canon is just out of focus, which is probably user error.  I've seen full-res files taken on a Canon 5DII and they look stunning even at 100%.  This example is not a fair representation of what the camera can do.

Best wishes

audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,051Gear list
Like?

Usually you're telling us how your bridge cam and XZ1 outperform the K-7. I guess we should infer they all outperform a 5D II.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
JoeDaBassPlayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,583
Like?

The tonality has been a big reason why I am a Pentaxian.

I think the same is true for this guy named Ben.

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

JoeDaBassPlayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,583
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, Nov 13, 2012

I rmemeber the furor, years ago when people were whining that their Fuji F10s were getting skin tones better than their big C cameras. They were posting photos, too.

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

Lawnmower Shooter
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?

Donald B wrote:

Hi all pentax uses. well today i sent a request the the studio ive just started working for for them to send me some full size images of a shoot they did on saturday with their canon 5dmk11. the reason being is they have hired me for a shoot tomorrow night for a year 12 grad ball and just wanted to make sure my k7 was well prepared for the night and wanted to compare my last shoot i did for them 3 weeks ago. against their ff canons. Big supprise my k7 "and im not kidding" blew it out of the water ! my photos were so much sharper and detailed, the skintones were beautiful, also the auto focus letf the canon for dead and they were shooting at f9. so for all those pentax uses these machines are first class and would not go FF even if you gave me one.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

I agree I wouldn't go FF, unless of course it was a pentax (or maybe D800E but thats spendy). I can only imagine what pentax could do with a FF sensor after seeing what they do with apsc. Glad to see you driving your K7 like a madman, keep up the good work.

Donald B
Like?
Re: Canon shot OOF?
In reply to mike703, Nov 13, 2012

mike703 wrote:

Colours apart, it looks like the shot taken with the Canon is just out of focus, which is probably user error. I've seen full-res files taken on a Canon 5DII and they look stunning even at 100%. This example is not a fair representation of what the camera can do.

Best wishes

i dont know what lens they were using but they sent me several shots and even the groups were as bad .

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Donald B
Like?
In reply to Gerry Winterbourne, Nov 13, 2012

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

Sorry, Don - I agree that the Canon skin tones are wrong but the Pentax ones look just as bad in the opposite direction. The Pentax version looks as if she is sufering from jaundice, with even the eyes having a yellow cast. The Canon eyes look natural (although with no shadow detail - it's just the skin that's wrong in that one.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Hi gerry , when i hold my hand to the screen it looks the same skintone colour i think people are confused what is actually skintone ? they think its pink ? wrong.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

OPTMEKX7
Senior MemberPosts: 1,429Gear list
Like?

I attended my sister's 25th weeding anniversary last May in Las Vegas and they had an official photographer who drove all the way from Los Angeles for the occasion, he was using a Canon. I don't know what model but big compare to my K20. When we were viewing the slides days after the wedding, the shots from my K20 are better looking. The color and the sharpness is very noticeable especially when viewing on a big screen tv, to which my sisters and nephews say they look at Pentax if they will go DSLRs.

cheers,

Rene

OPTMEKX7's gear list:OPTMEKX7's gear list
Pentax Optio 33LF Pentax Optio A40 Pentax MX-1 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 IIs +1 more
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,464
Like?

Donald B wrote:

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

Sorry, Don - I agree that the Canon skin tones are wrong but the Pentax ones look just as bad in the opposite direction. The Pentax version looks as if she is sufering from jaundice, with even the eyes having a yellow cast. The Canon eyes look natural (although with no shadow detail - it's just the skin that's wrong in that one.

Hi gerry , when i hold my hand to the screen it looks the same skintone colour i think people are confused what is actually skintone ? they think its pink ? wrong.

Hi Don.  Is your monitor calibrated?  The skin tone I see is nothing like my hand; and as I said before, the whites of her eyes look yellow on my monitor.  This is the first time I've seen a face that colour out of all the Pentax shots posted here.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Donald B
Like?
In reply to Gerry Winterbourne, Nov 14, 2012

your might be right gerry, their is a little yellow in the pic, i have plastic models with excelent skin tones that i shoot and then hold a printed pic up to the screen with the model and the camera lcd and ajust them all the same. if i auto colour in ps the colours are horrible (red-cold) so i always shoot a little warmer. its probily why the 5d is red and cold because the studio batch process and havent paid attention to prints or screen. all good fun, off to another shoot in 2 hours will take a little yellow out of my wb. when i do a test shot. you better be right or i will be blaiming you... LOL.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

kitsios_spyros
Senior MemberPosts: 1,180
Like?
In reply to Donald B, Nov 14, 2012

Hi Don,

it maybe is too much to judge a system from a batch of photos sent by an agency. What I would certainly agree with is that pros with expensive equipment manage to get great income out of their photography while using equipment with great faults.

Now, I don't want to sound like a teacher or something, but I have seen promotianal digital prints of small to rather big sizes with lenses that are not calibrated with the body, having strong FF or BF, WB varing from print to print from very warm to very cold and back again to very warm, with a crazy-soft corner (just one of four) etc. These were from pros with huge experience that manage to understand the project and making quickly important modifications at the time of shooting. However, in various technical parts of their work (AF Fine tuning, WB calibration of monitor and prints) they had serious problems that they could not even detect.

In the Canon photo there is something wrong. WB aside, the subject possibly moved between prefocus and actual shutter triggering (user error), a AF-FA calibration issue, decentered optics that soften the picture, strong NR to kill the noise, intentional bluring or other issues. We can not be sure as it is only one shot with unknown exif. To my eyes though, it seems very possible though that there is at least some FF, but still, only a guess.

Your technic for WB tuning is possibly qood enough if the output of your work is prints only. But this does not ensure your monitor calibration. If acurrate results are needed for both monitor viewing and prints and then comparison using both media (screen/paper), I believe that one needs two calibration processes for both media and the validation would be that the comparison of screen, print and actual subject give perfect results. Lightning conditions during validation has a role here too. Also, each LCD has a limitation to the colour it can actually present. I think you probably know these since you compare prints/plastic model/screen, but screens loose their setting very easily. I know of a guy that does his LCD colour calibration every morning... Maybe his is too nervous with it, maybe he sees more that we do.

Your K7 with mastered technic and controled condition to help its inevitable (as any camera) handicaps can offer enough resolution and very pleasing skin tones. Skin tones may not be the strongest point for Canon, but they can do better than the sample sent to you. But this does not make K7 any worst:).

Happy shooting

Spyros

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads