Found my 'eye', and lost my mind. . . (un-methodical test of new lens)

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,375Gear list
Like?
Found my 'eye', and lost my mind. . . (un-methodical test of new lens)
Nov 12, 2012

. . . as well as the µ4/3 advantage of size/weight. Long story to short, I filled the need for a 35mm FOV with the CV Nokton 17.5/0.95, and gained more latitude for exposures on night walkabouts. Expensive, but then again I used to pay this and more for Canon Luxury glass. I was going to wait for the Oly 17mm, but 'Nokton' to me suggests general quality and a character wide open that I can embrace (not perfect, but not nervous or otherwise ugly - it's more like a watercolor at the edges where coma and astigmatism is concerned).   I've wished for a long time the 35/1.4 Nokton came in a wider FL (too bad the 17.5 ain't as compact, but so it goes).

Being distracted with the hardware, I just shot mostly things shot before.

It's not bad in daylight, either.

Being my mind wasn't all that special anyway, I'm keeping the lens.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +18 more
boxerman
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
Like?
Re: Found my 'eye', and lost my mind. . . (un-methodical test of new lens)
In reply to Bob Tullis, Nov 12, 2012

Some stunners here. 1 and 2 didn't do much for me, but the next three are eye-openers. And a few of the following, too. Grain in the sky bothered me in some. Are you averse to a little post, selective noise reduction?

What apertures do you use? I understand, wide-open, there's a fair amount of vignetting on this lens.

Thanks much. Always enjoy your shots. I'm glad somebody can afford such a beautiful lens!

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,668
Like?

As usual, I like your shots. There is a richness in the blacks that most other B&W shots posted here just don't seem to reach. It may of course have something to do with my monitor calibration. Do you adjust the levels at all pp?

Should you change your mind about that lens and don't mind cutting your losses, I might consider taking it off your hands....

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,679Gear list
Like?

I like all of these but "Circle Line" and "Fish Market" best. I don't know why.

Thanks for sharing these.

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
ZoranC
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,469
Like?

Don't do this, please, if you do I just might sell my Nokton and get 17/.95.

FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,196Gear list
Like?

Don't care what lens they were shot with, just plain enjoyed the last four particularly.

F.

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Ignace
Regular MemberPosts: 175Gear list
Like?

Super!

That shot of the Plaza Hotel is great!

Ignace's gear list:Ignace's gear list
Nikon D800E Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,043Gear list
Like?

These three just do it for me.

FABULOUS work all around, but these three have magic.

The first one below is just such a spectacular composition; it works on so many levels.  I'd enter that one in a show or some contest somewhere.... It is such a NY scene; reminds me of when I was a kid and after a family get-together my folks would drop my Aunt off at her apartment on a street in NYC that looked a lot like this one.... (BTW, where was this taken?)

The Fish Market one is a lot like the buildings in Troy that I am drawn to and try and capture whenever I am in town....That lens is really excellent; the detail and microcontrast are terrific, by the way. Makes me wish I had the resources to try one sometime....

By the way, I showed some of your work to my sister, who is a very good artist (BFA Cooper Union, MFA Bard)(painting), and who has one of the best eyes for good work of anyone I have ever met.  She thought your building/NYC photos were terrific.  I personally would take that as a high complement....

-Janet

Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,350Gear list
Like?
In reply to jalywol, Nov 13, 2012

jalywol wrote:

These three just do it for me.

FABULOUS work all around, but these three have magic.

The first one below is just such a spectacular composition; it works on so many levels. I'd enter that one in a show or some contest somewhere.... It is such a NY scene; reminds me of when I was a kid and after a family get-together my folks would drop my Aunt off at her apartment on a street in NYC that looked a lot like this one.... (BTW, where was this taken?)

The Fish Market one is a lot like the buildings in Troy that I am drawn to and try and capture whenever I am in town....That lens is really excellent; the detail and microcontrast are terrific, by the way. Makes me wish I had the resources to try one sometime....

By the way, I showed some of your work to my sister, who is a very good artist (BFA Cooper Union, MFA Bard)(painting), and who has one of the best eyes for good work of anyone I have ever met. She thought your building/NYC photos were terrific. I personally would take that as a high complement....

-Janet

I would agree on these three being superb. The colors in the fish market one !!!

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
Why so serious? :The Joker

sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,534Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, Nov 13, 2012

Bob, I like these a lot. I was a bit worried that no one else had bought one because a thread I posted on it a week or two back received no responses.

Of these "Circle Line" and "Fish Market" are my favourites, the composition is Hopperesque.

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the 17.5mm, it really is a special lens with a bit of magic wide open and stopped down (and of course it's relatively huge and heavy).

It does people as well as any 35 equivalent can as well (shot of my brother with the 17.5):

Thanks for posting these - you've made me want to take some landscapes and architecture with mine.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Paul Amyes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342
Like?

Bob I always look forward to seeing your photos, I always enjoy them and I'd love to see them printed out at A3+.

It ain't the equipment but the photographer  I'll bet you could find ways of making the bottom of a coke bottle sing :-D.

Chuck Eklund
Regular MemberPosts: 457Gear list
Like?

Wow. I like them all. My favorite is the b & w with the walking away from you. You are obviously are already very comfortable with the lens.

Chuck Eklund's gear list:Chuck Eklund's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
Keith Schmidt
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,022Gear list
Like?

Wow, some really fantastic images!  3 and 9 were my favorites.

Keith Schmidt's gear list:Keith Schmidt's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +2 more
S. Miller
Contributing MemberPosts: 600
Like?

Hi Bob,

+4 on these three being my favorites. Great shots as usual. The mood and feel of this first one is just so New York. The composition in the Circle Line is fantastic - it's clean and works so well with the light. As to the Fish Market, I'm glad sgoldswo pointed out, but it totally reminds me of Boulevard of Broken Dreams. The color is eery cool (though maybe the shadows were pulled up a bit too much?).

I live in Northern NJ and pretty much never get in to the city for non-social events. But the more I see your night shots, the more I realize that I have to hop on the train with camera in hand and walk around the city at night. Looks so fun.

Steve

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man

peter ny
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
In reply to S. Miller, Nov 13, 2012

If you shot all those on one night, that's a hell of a walk. I especially like the black + whites, the bridges and the fish market. Great composition and mood. And, by the way, last night I was shooting a few yards away from where you must have been when you took the first two images in your post.

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 12,148Gear list
Like?

Excellent images Bob, really liked the first five, the bridge and the waterfall.  Can't imagine how any of those could be better.

Andrew

Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,562Gear list
Like?
In reply to 19andrew47, Nov 13, 2012

Some very nice stuff there. Some are a little too noisy for me but the fish market is stellar.

-- hide signature --

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,919Gear list
Like?

Hi Bob,

I love your night shots of NY a lot, but those empty streets are creepy : I would never dare taking pictures in such deserted places at night !

Concerning the Voigtländer, I think that you are not gaining much more than a half stop with respect to the announced Olympus one. So personnally I think that this 17.5mm has really to deliver something very special to win over the lightness and AF advantage of the 17.5mm F1.4. Apparently it has it for you..

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Bob Tullis
Like?
In reply to boxerman, Nov 13, 2012

boxerman wrote:

Some stunners here. 1 and 2 didn't do much for me, but the next three are eye-openers. And a few of the following, too. Grain in the sky bothered me in some. Are you averse to a little post, selective noise reduction?

What apertures do you use? I understand, wide-open, there's a fair amount of vignetting on this lens.

Thanks much. Always enjoy your shots. I'm glad somebody can afford such a beautiful lens!

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

Yes, the noise in 2 skies needs addressing - I don't know why I left those 2 as they are.   I've been trying a different workflow using VSCO presets, and I've been a bit all over the place getting comfortable with it.   The noise in the tree scene (that upside down deformed spiral staircase) and the Lincoln Center plaza is noise I can tolerate, though.   I went too far with NR in the shot under the overpass (2nd shot, I believe).   The first shot was mainly a comparison with the 20/1.7 - the shadows were almost irrecoverably deep, and in raising them I was looking for banding.   This passed that test.

I'm fleshing out the apertures.   Offhand I believe the 2nd shot was wide open - by f1.8 the starbursts show themselves (having those with a wide aperture is part of the character I don't get with OEM lenses).   Interestingly, the ghosting is pretty much centered about their sources even at the edges of the frame - where with OEM lenses they're very much offset and not nearly as creamy/attractive.

Vignetting - I haven't shot wide open in brighter scenes to have noticed how significant the lens exhibits it, yet.  But being I almost always add a touch of v. in post, I don't think I'd have much to say about it anyway.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +18 more
Bob Tullis
Like?
In reply to Mike Fewster, Nov 13, 2012

Mike Fewster wrote:

As usual, I like your shots. There is a richness in the blacks that most other B&W shots posted here just don't seem to reach. It may of course have something to do with my monitor calibration. Do you adjust the levels at all pp?

I can't help but to play with the tones, but I didn't do much in these.   The lovers and Circle Line were JPGs OOC (NR Low, sharpening and contrast set -1), just added a touch of Clarity and raised the exposure a little bit.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads