do legacy K-AF, K-AF2, K-AF3 lenses work fully in the K-01?

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions
Alex Notpro
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?
do legacy K-AF, K-AF2, K-AF3 lenses work fully in the K-01?
Nov 12, 2012

do they work fully in all metering and auto-focus modes, or are certain modes crippled/disabled?

Alex Notpro's gear list:Alex Notpro's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Apple iPhone 5s +14 more
Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
leopold
Forum ProPosts: 12,368Gear list
Like?
Re: do legacy K-AF, K-AF2, K-AF3 lenses work fully in the K-01?
In reply to Alex Notpro, Nov 12, 2012

Everything works without any problem ... that's the joy of using a Pentax camera

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,162Gear list
Like?

Alex Notpro wrote:

do they work fully in all metering and auto-focus modes, or are certain modes crippled/disabled?

All the AF lenses work fully, some of the older manual lenses are slightly crippled.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
JoeDaBassPlayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,583
Like?
In reply to viking79, Nov 12, 2012

viking79 wrote:

Alex Notpro wrote:

All the AF lenses work fully, some of the older manual lenses are slightly crippled.

Eric

The use of crippled needs to be elaborated upon. The digital bodies do not read the aperture info from old M and K lenses. However, one can still meter. It requires allowing the aperture ring in the settings. that is a one time thing. You can then meter by settingthe aperture ring and then hitting the green button. It will take a meter reading at that moment. It works and it works quite well.

Anti shake works but K, M, and A lenses require that you enter the focal length. No biggie. Manual focus on the K 01 is fantastic. Focus peaking beats a split prism or anything else, for that matter.

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

Unexpresivecanvas
Contributing MemberPosts: 991
Like?
In reply to viking79, Nov 12, 2012

I even use older lenses than the "K" or "M" or "A" versions, Actually I use screw mounts from the late 60s and early 70s, with a M42 adapter.

I agree there is nothing crippled about the old lenses, as long as you understand what you are doing and you work around the capacities of the lenses and the camera. The little "green" button works amazingly well to measure exposures once you set the shutter speed and choose your aperture.

Notice I usee the work "capacities" of the lenses, not the "limitations". Most of the times, the limit is in the photographer, not in the tools. The old screw mounts have so many capacities: beautiful light rendering, bokeh. Manual focus is almost a lost art in a world of fast autofocus and automatic exposure metering. But it's an art

I posted some of these samples last week using the Takumar 55mm screw mount. Some others, from older posts are taken with the Takumar 135 or Rikenon 35mm (all m42) or the old Tamron Adaptal Sp2 90mm.

And to respond to the OP, yes, all the "AF" lenses work well on the K-01. Of course, some lenses have better capabilities than others, depending on the lens design and glass quality, coatings, so on.

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,162Gear list
Like?
In reply to Unexpresivecanvas, Nov 12, 2012

Unexpresivecanvas wrote:

I even use older lenses than the "K" or "M" or "A" versions, Actually I use screw mounts from the late 60s and early 70s, with a M42 adapter.

I agree there is nothing crippled about the old lenses, as long as you understand what you are doing and you work around the capacities of the lenses, not the camera. The little "green" button works amazingly well to measure exposures once you set the shutter speed and choose your aperture.

By definition the mount is crippled, it lacks the mechanical coupling to read aperture for M and K lenses.  I don't know why people are taking this personally.  I am not saying the lenses are bad or anything, just be aware that K and M lenses are more work for metering.

My favorite old lenses to use on Pentax K are M42, A, or the AF variants as you don't have to mess with the green button, and can also use TTL flash metering on A and newer lenses.  On the M and K lenses I have seriously thought about cutting the aperture lug off some of them so they would work like the M42 lenses, but I don't want to hurt the value of the lens

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
alpha bet
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?

The K-01 cannot make use of the extra features (power zoom, automatic retract at power down, etc.) on a few rare KAF-2 lenses such as those found on the respectable 28-105.

kitsios_spyros
Senior MemberPosts: 1,182
Like?
In reply to alpha bet, Nov 13, 2012

alpha bet wrote:

The K-01 cannot make use of the extra features (power zoom, automatic retract at power down, etc.) on a few rare KAF-2 lenses such as those found on the respectable 28-105.

Hi alpha bet,

K-01 does have the power zooms contacts in it's K-mount. Are you sure that they are not working with power zoom feature?

I was thinking of the 28-105 PZ for video use and actualy I was about to buy one. So, you or other user having a PZ lens and a K-01, please check and confirm that the power zoom feature is working or not on this camera. I am not interested in auto retract and other features of PZ contacts, just the power zoom for video.

Kind Regards,

Spyros

brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,627
Like?
In reply to viking79, Nov 13, 2012

viking79 wrote:

Hi Eric,

On the M and K lenses I have seriously thought about cutting the aperture lug off some of them so they would work like the M42 lenses, but I don't want to hurt the value of the lens

You can use the K and M lenses like M42 lenses by pressing the lens lock button and rotating the lens about 10 degrees counterclockwise. That way you don't need to cut off the aperture lever. Just be aware of what you are doing when focusing so that the lens does not rotate completely off when you focus. Most will fit tight enough that you need not worry about it.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

alpha bet
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?
In reply to kitsios_spyros, Nov 13, 2012

Well, I think the contacts are actually not in the normal row of contacts but up higher somewhere on the face of the mount. It's possible there are K-01 variants somewhere in the world but I don't believe mine has the contacts. On page 250 of the manual in the specifications it says -

Compatible lenses - "KAF3, KAF2 (power zoom not compatible), KAF, KA mount lenses"

kitsios_spyros
Like?
In reply to alpha bet, Nov 14, 2012

alpha bet wrote:

Well, I think the contacts are actually not in the normal row of contacts but up higher somewhere on the face of the mount. It's possible there are K-01 variants somewhere in the world but I don't believe mine has the contacts. On page 250 of the manual in the specifications it says -

Compatible lenses - "KAF3, KAF2 (power zoom not compatible), KAF, KA mount lenses"

Hi alpha bet

Thanks for the response.

Regarding the place of the contacts, they must be in the same place, as they are used for the SDM motor too. Here are the pictures of the mounts of K-01 and K7. The contacts are the two ones in the mount (5 o'clock position)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-k-01/5

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk7/6

You can locate them more easily if you compare the look of the mount of K100d and K100d Super. The former lacked the SDM (same as power zoom) contacts, which were added in the latter (Super) version of that camera

K100d

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/PentaxK100D/Images/lensmount01.jpg

K100d Super

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K100DS/ZYFRONT-MD.JPG

As from the manual quote, K-01 seems to be not compatible with power zoom features. However, for the digital cameras with power zoom enabled mount, some of the features were enabled (2 out of 5 I think) and the rest were not. More here

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/technology/K-mount/Kaf2.html

K-01 is not listed in dimitrov's site..

So, it seems that those contacts are used for SDM contacts only. If someone could verify it, it would be great.

Kind Regards,

Spyros

brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,627
Like?
In reply to kitsios_spyros, Nov 20, 2012

kitsios_spyros wrote:

I was thinking of the 28-105 PZ for video use and actualy I was about to buy one. So, you or other user having a PZ lens and a K-01, please check and confirm that the power zoom feature is working or not on this camera. I am not interested in auto retract and other features of PZ contacts, just the power zoom for video.

Power Zoom of my FA*28-70/2.8 works on my K-5 including in movie mode.

Power Zoom of my FA*28-70/2.8 does not work under any setting on my new K-01.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

kitsios_spyros
Like?
In reply to brandrx, Nov 20, 2012

brandrx wrote:

kitsios_spyros wrote:

Power Zoom of my FA*28-70/2.8 works on my K-5 including in movie mode.

Power Zoom of my FA*28-70/2.8 does not work under any setting on my new K-01.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Hi brandrx!

this verifies alphabets's quote from the manual. So, for the moment I am not interested in PZ lenses.

Very usefull that you mentioned PZ-lenses compatibility with K5 in video mode.

Congratulations on your new K-01. Another one that could not resist current price:). How does it compare with your NEX?

Thanks for the response.

Kind Regards,

Spyros

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads