Thinking of buying the D600... but...

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
Thinking of buying the D600... but...
Nov 12, 2012

All these dust/oil posts have me concerned. Is there any indication what percentage of cameras have this problem? If I buy one, how likely am I to have to return it for repairs?

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of buying the D600... but...
In reply to Asylum Photo, Nov 12, 2012

Asylum Photo wrote:

All these dust/oil posts have me concerned. Is there any indication what percentage of cameras have this problem? If I buy one, how likely am I to have to return it for repairs?

-- hide signature --

Hello, I think what you are going to get here is a mixed response. Please keep in mind that this community is only a tiny tiny fraction of d600 users. This also means that it cant represent real world numbers. Some have stated that about 200000 d600's have been sold which means this community and its findings are not a real representation of the quality of the camera or any issues that may exist. Trust me on that. If you still want to hear what my experince is, the camera had 3 spots on the sensor. It did start out clean. One spot out of three could only be seen if I went looking for it and that was only in light colored areas of an image. I used a blower and a sensor light and after a lot of blowing it was gone. I am at over 1100+ shutter count and have an event this friday and will check back after. NO oil an no rub under mirror. The majority of people will never see this dust in a normal image unless they went looking for it. Also if you do plan to shoot a lot of sky and walls, you either need to clean your sensor or use clone tool. A wet cleaning is something every camera will need one day. Some more often some less. If you plan to wait to buy think again. Dust is not an issue that nikon is known to ever "fix". You send it in, they will clean it and send it back.

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,186
Like?
Please do a search....

There are more than 10 threads with this exact same question being asked.  The short version is that there is no widespread issue whatsoever, and if you want the camera, buy it.  Your chances of getting one that has been oiled more liberally than another are extremely small, and if you do, take the 60 seconds and clean the sensor.  As for the dust, that has never been an issue whatsoever, and the same issue plagues every single DSLR made today, being dependent on far too many individual factors to even begin to consider a specific issue.

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nikonfan99, Nov 12, 2012

I guess I should have said I'm significantly more worried about oil than dust. Dust happens on cameras, so that's not a huge deal. Oil though, is a bit more of a pain, especially when on the road/in the field.

Thanks for the reply.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
RicksAstro
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,206Gear list
Like?

Asylum Photo wrote:

-- hide signature --

To me, the number of serious problems with the D600 are fewer than any camera I've seen recently.    By serious problem, I mean ones that have a non-trivial impact on shooting like AF issues, camera locking up, exposure problems, sockets caving in...

I've not seen much credible evidence that the spot issues that have been oil related.   The Lensrental study indicated that the issues they were seeing were dust related, since they could generally be blown off.

I think most people here assume it's oil related since that's what's been seen on earlier cameras, but I've not seen the "bright halo" type of patterns on the spots typical for oil.

Personally, I've had to clean my D600 once.   Don't know if it was oil or dust since I did a wet clean and it was clean as a whistle in just a few minute's time

So, besides the people returning theirs for having dust (which I think is outrageous), I don't think I've seen any other issues, which I find remarkable.    I think the only reason the dust thing is getting so much attention is the lack of other issues...I find the thing just works and I have complete confidence in it, which I didn't have with the D800's I previously used.

I wouldn't trade the D600 for a D800 even if they were the same price.

-- hide signature --
Tee1up
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?

Asylum Photo wrote:

-- hide signature --

I have had dust with every SLR/dSLR I've ever owned. I have not seen any oil on the D600 yet, but I've only had it for a few weeks. Personally I hate those squeeze blowers so I use a small vacuum meant for electronics and I also keep a small wet-wipe kit on hand.

Don't let this issue be your big determining factor.
This is the nicest camera I've owned since the F3HP.

aggressor
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?

Asylum Photo wrote:

-- hide signature --

I don't think there is a way to find out what percentage of cameras have this problem. Nikon isn't talking and is unlikely to talk (they have silence treated far more serious problems in the past). But judging from the number of user reports, the problem is real and affects significant percentage of cameras. I was about to order D600 myself, but decided to hold back, after reading post after post from people who returned two or three D600 one after another because they all had the same problem of oil on sensor after every few shots.

Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?

Asylum Photo wrote:

-- hide signature --

Just added photos to my gallery at f16- f5.6 even using white clouds.

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
gwenhael appere
Regular MemberPosts: 348Gear list
Like?

Hi,

i have dust spots on the D600 that i never had with my previous canera (D300s). I am worried/annoyed ? yes. Do i regret buying the camera ? BIG NO.

If you want it, buy it. It's a fantastic camera. And FYI the dust spots show only at low aperture (f8 or above in my case).

Cheers

Gwen

gwenhael appere's gear list:gwenhael appere's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Danielvb
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
In reply to gwenhael appere, Nov 12, 2012

It is a fantastic camera. Amazing IQ, speed and mechanics. That said, i had 12 spots on my 200th picture, cleaned. 8 more spots at 500 or something, cleaned. At 900 i got more 10 and gave up. Sold for a friend who didn´t bother cleaning it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads