Nex-6 Wifi to Imac - impossible?

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Questions
Fidibus
Regular MemberPosts: 479Gear list
Like?
Nex-6 Wifi to Imac - impossible?
Nov 12, 2012

I tried to connect my NEX-6 to my Imac in order to upload some photos - no success. I tried for hours. I read in the handbook that Mac Os is excluded from Sony´s software support. If so, how can they do this??

Did anyone manage to get his camera connected to his/her Mac, and if so what are the important steps after the camera has been connected to the network, i.e. I can connect to Sony´s app support, but not to may Imac.

Any help much appreciated.

Love, fidibus

-- hide signature --
 Fidibus's gear list:Fidibus's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
desvejk
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
Re: Nex-6 Wifi to Imac - impossible?
In reply to Fidibus, Nov 12, 2012

Hi

I asked a similar question last week on the following thread.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3293626

The best I could achieve is too use my iPhone or iPad, then sync to the Mac, but this is no solution because images do not transfer using the Sony iOS software at full resolution.

I'm considering an Eye fi card. The only down side of this is that Eye fi will not transfer directly into Aperture.

Cheers

Des

desvejk's gear list:desvejk's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Sony Alpha NEX-6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fidibus
Regular MemberPosts: 479Gear list
Like?
In reply to desvejk, Nov 12, 2012

Thnks for your input, desvejk. But since I have no ipad nor a iphone this is no solution for me.

Damn! This is an unpordonable mistake by Sony. I feel betrayed and think I will give back my NEX-6!

-- hide signature --
 Fidibus's gear list:Fidibus's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 5,834
Like?

If the WiFi doesn't work, presumably you can still use a USB connection?

bruce20D
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Nov 12, 2012

WHAT ???  this is a deal-breaker for me.  I may as well go back to my NEX-5N with EyeFi card

-- hide signature --
 bruce20D's gear list:bruce20D's gear list
Nikon D700
cruzerpics
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?

Fidibus wrote:

Thnks for your input, desvejk. But since I have no ipad nor a iphone this is no solution for me.

Damn! This is an unpordonable mistake by Sony. I feel betrayed and think I will give back my NEX-6!

-- hide signature --

Yes, I was surprised by this mis step also but I'm gonna hope they work to get that supported soon. That camera it self is has a lot of other redeeming qualities that make it a keeper in my book.

redsim74
Senior MemberPosts: 2,141
Like?

Sony has a long history of providing poor software for Mac, if they even provide it at all.

I guess it's down to how Sony implements the wi-fi connection, whether its presenting as a file share or some other proprietary fashion.

You may be able to connect to the camera's IP address...

Matt Fisher
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to redsim74, Dec 9, 2012

Or just use this.  Works fine with my NEX 6 and I can transfer both stills and video via wifi to my macbook pro.

link

martindesu
Contributing MemberPosts: 923Gear list
Like?
In reply to redsim74, Dec 9, 2012

redsim74 wrote:

Sony has a long history of providing poor software for Mac, if they even provide it at all.

This could be said of absolutely any manufacturer, as Macs are a tiny fraction of the personal computer market.

martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +2 more
cwinte
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Re: Nex-6 Wifi to Mac - possible
In reply to Matt Fisher, 10 months ago

Looks like this will work for me if only the NEX6 would connect to my wifi network, it sees network but after I input the password it then refuses to connect to router "unable to connect to access point" - and even when I set up a custom local network direct from my Mac it did the same thing. However the NEX6 did connect to the main house network - which is too far away from my office and work area to be practical.

The NEX6 did connect to my iPad and phone OK though, just not what I normally want. And probably for speed and battery life importing direct to Lightroom over USB will be better.

-- hide signature --

NEX 7, 6, 5N, OSS SEL18200, kit1855, 16mm & 12mmUWA, Sigma30 plus various manual glass, RX100 on hand.

cwinte's gear list:cwinte's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 +3 more
n1mxer
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Nex-6 Wifi to Mac - possible
In reply to cwinte, 10 months ago

yeah i have the same issue... not able to wifi to my macbook pro i tried everything, maybe theres a step missing.. im fallowing it but still see nothing

cwinte
Like?
Re: Nex-6 Wifi to Mac - IT IS possible
In reply to n1mxer, 10 months ago

Success, and it is good when it works. I seemed to have an incomplete download? I downloaded what was labelled as the same version from a different place and it worked fine from NEX6.

The thing I have not tried is making a local network from the Mac, which is an option if you are out in the field with no wifi hub around. Would require a nice simple password that is quick to enter with the text entry: adada would be easy.

try:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?upd_id=8254&os_id=99&mdl=NEX6

I spent a lot of time looking at what was happening and blaming my old and primitive access-point only Belkin router that extends me to the garden. But it now seems OK and I do not need one with uPnP features/awareness.

Steps:

connecting camera to wifi (Access point in Sony-speak) with the clunky method for typing of security key (better if you have the push to register uPnP devices, which worked fine for me on a different test router)

pairing camera to my Mac by USB yesterday using the downloaded software (run the software up and tell it to do the pairing before making USB connect)

I can now take pictures, press menu on NEX, press OK on "Send to computer" - assuming that was my last menu action.
Raw ARW and Jpeg pairs from NEX6 are around 25MB and take about 12seconds, jpeg can be much faster around 30 / minute.

It sends only new images each time.

During send the Mac displays a semi transparent progress message in bottom right of (main) screen and at end asks if you want to see files in Finder or close (the app).
Either way after a send the camera seems to be hung with power still on but unresponsive to anything but switch off. If you have 1650 kit on it briefly powers up to close cycle the lens shut with other lenses just shuts down.:-(

I actually like the work flow: walk around and shoot then send pics, walk back and look at full res images which arrive as I come through the door. Can onward import to LR or whatever tool, I dump the images into a temporary location.

Be sure to exit the app on your Mac, if it left running the next send from camera fails to connect after 40 seconds trying.

-- hide signature --

NEX 7, 6, 5N, OSS SEL18200, kit1855, 16mm & 12mmUWA, Sigma30 plus various manual glass, RX100 on hand.

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 +3 more
paulcraig
Regular MemberPosts: 297Gear list
Like?
In reply to cwinte, 10 months ago

Glad I found this thread, and happy to report this feature works very well. I am using an NEX-6 with an Apple Airport Extreme and a 2012 Macbook Pro. It's not the quickest upload, but better than ejecting and reading the card each time.

Installation is quirky but it works great once installed. The camera does need to be turned off at the end though, it seems to be left in a frozen state.

paulcraig's gear list:paulcraig's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8
C.Eaton
Contributing MemberPosts: 858Gear list
Like?
Tried for hours and gave up in the end
In reply to Fidibus, 10 months ago

I was very disappointed that I couldn't get my 6 to connect to my iMac or even my router. Gave it up as a bad job in the end as I was fed up keep manually inputting the damn password.

That app. looks interesting, if I get chance over the weekend I'll try that.

Joeni Hartanto
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Tried for hours and gave up in the end
In reply to C.Eaton, 9 months ago

First, install Wireless Auto Import for Mac (http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/imsoft/Mac/wai/us.html ). Open Wireless Auto Import,..Set Wireless Import Device Setting,.connect your canera and Mac using USB cable and then click . follow the prompts.

Set your USB camera device type to MTP (Nex-6: Setup, USB Connection); Set your network setting, connecting your wifi camera with Mac (adhoc or you hotspot). Playbac, and send to computer.

I can transfer image wirelessly to my iMac!

winono
Regular MemberPosts: 241
Like?
In reply to cwinte, 8 months ago

cwinte wrote:

Success, and it is good when it works

Either way after a send the camera seems to be hung with power still on but unresponsive to anything but switch off

Same here. My wireless transfer works (NEX-6 to a MacPro) but after it's finished, the only thing I can do is switching off the camera.

cwinte
Like?
In reply to winono, 8 months ago

winono wrote:

cwinte wrote:

Success, and it is good when it works

Either way after a send the camera seems to be hung with power still on but unresponsive to anything but switch off

Same here. My wireless transfer works (NEX-6 to a MacPro) but after it's finished, the only thing I can do is switching off the camera.

I recall finding that I needed to look for and press the final "finished" button that pops up bottom right corner of your screen on the Mac, easy to miss when you attention is elsewhere. Try a transfer and check for the dialog with 2 options (that are not very clear in describing the meaning of the 2 options) and complete the process on the Mac...

-- hide signature --

NEX 7, 6, OSS SEL18200, kit1855, 16mm & 12mmUWA, Sigma30 plus various manual glass, RX100 on hand.

winono
Regular MemberPosts: 241
Like?
In reply to cwinte, 8 months ago

cwinte wrote:

I recall finding that I needed to look for and press the final "finished" button that pops up bottom right corner of your screen on the Mac, easy to miss when you attention is elsewhere. Try a transfer and check for the dialog with 2 options (that are not very clear in describing the meaning of the 2 options) and complete the process on the Mac...

After the transferring is finished there is indeed a pop-up window in the bottom right corner, where I can click on either REVEAL IN FINDER or CLOSE

But in either case, my NEX doesn't wake up, I can only switch it off...

If there is no file to transfer, the pop up has no buttons, it simply disappears - and, again, the NEX-6 falls asleep.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads