D600 Serial Number Query

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions
rpps
Senior MemberPosts: 1,312Gear list
Like?
D600 Serial Number Query
Nov 12, 2012

I am a proud owner of a D600 no dust or oil problems either but one thing that has been worrying me is the Tag on the bottom of the camera where is located the serial number.

On my D700 it's a printed number, on the D600 it was a blanked out area where the serial number was written with a ball point pen, I accidentally rubbed this area and the number came off.

Is this what the serial number is like on other D600 cameras.

rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +3 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,103
Like?
Re: D600 Serial Number Query
In reply to rpps, Nov 12, 2012

rpps wrote:

I am a proud owner of a D600 no dust or oil problems either but one thing that has been worrying me is the Tag on the bottom of the camera where is located the serial number.

On my D700 it's a printed number, on the D600 it was a blanked out area where the serial number was written with a ball point pen, I accidentally rubbed this area and the number came off.

That's weird...

I don't have the D600, but on the D800 it is certainly not hand written and not erasable. I'd contact Nikon if I were you and ask them. Not the shop, but Nikon. Call them on the phone or send them a mail.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rpps
Like?
In reply to olyflyer, Nov 12, 2012

olyflyer wrote:

rpps wrote:

That's weird...

I don't have the D600, but on the D800 it is certainly not hand written and not erasable. I'd contact Nikon if I were you and ask them. Not the shop, but Nikon. Call them on the phone or send them a mail.

That's what I thought my D700 is printed on, maybe the lower models are like this.

I just sent off an e-mail.

Everythings works fine on the camera and it doesn't suffer from dust or the dreaded oily sensor problem.

Sony RX100 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +3 more
lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 2,469Gear list
Like?

Your camera is a very rare collectible, and is thus worth a lot of money to a collector.

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Leo360
Senior MemberPosts: 1,033
Like?
D5100 has S/N printed

rpps wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

rpps wrote:

That's weird...

That's what I thought my D700 is printed on, maybe the lower models are like this.

My D5100 (USA model, bought May 2012) has the same white box but the serial number is printed and rubbing with a finger does not erase it.

Leo

olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,103
Like?

rpps wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

rpps wrote:

That's weird...

I just sent off an e-mail.

Everythings works fine on the camera and it doesn't suffer from dust or the dreaded oily sensor problem.

It's one thing that everything is fine now, but you must make sure Nikon acknowledges the warranty in case you need it and also if you want to sell it the new buyer can be suspicious. Serial number can otherwise be read out of the camera as well. It's in the raw file, so an EXIF reader can give that information.

John E Fox
Regular MemberPosts: 233Gear list
Like?

My D600 has printed numbers, they don't rub off.

Looks like a pre-production version. Contact Nikon.

Apart from the serial number, the underneath of mine looks the same as yours except the holes just under the recycle icon and just above the Nikon badge area. Mine are about 7mm deep, yours looks quite shallow. I assume these are for the add-on battery pack.

John E Fox's gear list:John E Fox's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
bocajrs
Contributing MemberPosts: 996Gear list
Like?
In reply to John E Fox, Nov 12, 2012

No rubbing of serial# on my D600 either.

bocajrs's gear list:bocajrs's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
leebee
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?

Same tag but the numbers do not rub off on my D600

nizar ghosn
Regular MemberPosts: 328Gear list
Like?
In reply to John E Fox, Nov 12, 2012

John E Fox wrote:

My D600 has printed numbers, they don't rub off.

Looks like a pre-production version. Contact Nikon.

Apart from the serial number, the underneath of mine looks the same as yours except the holes just under the recycle icon and just above the Nikon badge area. Mine are about 7mm deep, yours looks quite shallow. I assume these are for the add-on battery pack.

the same here .. it is printed and you can not erase it .. definitely there is something wrong with your label ...

nizar out
http://ninos.zenfolio.com

nizar ghosn's gear list:nizar ghosn's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
rpps
Like?
In reply to nizar ghosn, Nov 12, 2012

Thanks guys you just confirmed my suspicions with this camera, I just checked the box and the serial number on that starts with 20xxx and the Efix data shows 560xxx they just don't match. Compared to the box my D700 came with, the D600 box has hardly any stickers or labels on it just a small serial number tag.

I took a punt and bought the camera from DWI in Hong Kong on the internet as it was $2000 compared with shop price here in Australia of $2400. Luckily I used Paypal to buy the camera so I will be making a claim for a money refund today.

The camera works great no oil or dust problems the only thing I have had trouble is when previewing an image , when you try to scroll to the previous image it doesn't respnd straight away.

But for resale value I want a genuine serial number on my D600.

rpps
Like?

I just called Paypal and they told me that DWI have 10 day's to reply to the dispute and if they don't I will get a ful refund. So I feel a bit better now knowing I'm covered and I have a good case for a refund re-serial numbers being fake.

Tihs photo is of the base of my D700, is the serial number on it similar too what to expect  on a genuine D600.?

D700 serial number

HRBC
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to rpps, Jan 15, 2013

Hi rpps,

I have one from DWI with same issue.

A 2xxxxxxx serial under camera that rubs off and a 5xxxxxx on the Raw EFIX Data,

Also traditional NIKON warranty card missing.

I will email you direct.  HRBC , Buderim Qld Australia.

rpps
Like?
In reply to HRBC, Jan 15, 2013

Gee not again I thought this was a one off problem that just me experienced.

I sent you a private message with my contact details.

If you payed DWI using PayPal make sure you lodge a claim within 40 days, I had a good outcome and you might also. Cheers Ross

HRBC
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to rpps, Jan 16, 2013

I need to show you the email response and compare notes.

I didn't get you mail?

Try me at ross@hrbconsulting.com.au

dpreviewprov
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?
To rpps and HRBC
In reply to rpps, Jan 16, 2013

I believe DWI erase that serial number so that the camera is not traceable (for what purpose, I don't know).

By the way, when you turn on the camera for the first time, did the camera ask you to set the language & date/time?

Also, is your first picture showing as photo number "1" when you check it?

Here is how you can check your camera's shutter actuations (shutter clicks);

First of all, you must format the memory card INSIDE your camera (using the camera's format function).

Next, take a picture using the freshly-formatted memory card; then download the picture into your computer.

Then check the shutter count (I use Opanda EXIF viewer and http://www.myshuttercount.com).

Opanda link: http://opanda.com/en/iexif/download.htm

Also try:

http://www.shutteractuations.com/

jdunwoody
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to HRBC, 3 days ago

HRBC wrote:

Hi rpps,

I have one from DWI with same issue.

A 2xxxxxxx serial under camera that rubs off and a 5xxxxxx on the Raw EFIX Data,

Also traditional NIKON warranty card missing.

I will email you direct. HRBC , Buderim Qld Australia.

Hi there,

I too have this problem, bought from DWI in 2013 but it has been over a year. I guess there isn't much I can do - the camera works fine but its a bit odd that the serial number area is just blank. Its going to be hard to register for insurance or even sell it without a formal looking serial number on the body (DWI have provided an email with the serial number).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads