Do any MFT cameras have PDAF or "Hybrid" AF?

Started Nov 11, 2012 | Discussions
Alex Notpro
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?
Do any MFT cameras have PDAF or "Hybrid" AF?
Nov 11, 2012

Basically I like the NEX-5R but would prefer it had an MFT lens mount... Does something like this exist?

Alex Notpro's gear list:Alex Notpro's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Apple iPhone 5s +14 more
NEX5R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?
Re: Do any MFT cameras have PDAF or "Hybrid" AF?
In reply to Alex Notpro, Nov 11, 2012

Alex Notpro wrote:

Basically I like the NEX-5R but would prefer it had an MFT lens mount... Does something like this exist?

All mft cameras ar CDAF (contrast detection auto focus), none is hybrid. I thought that the Nex were all CDAF only too ?

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shawn67
Contributing MemberPosts: 748
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, Nov 11, 2012

" I thought that the Nex were all CDAF only too ? "

Sony added on sensor PDAF to the NEX-5R.

Shawn

sb123
Contributing MemberPosts: 872
Like?
In reply to Alex Notpro, Nov 11, 2012

No, but the new Panasonics, the G5 and the GH3, as well as the EM5 all have fast and effective CDAF, including working AFC functions (at least with some lenses), so there is no need for PDAF, and that will soon be true for the entire MFT universe.

-- hide signature --

Steve Barnett

Shawn67
Like?
In reply to sb123, Nov 11, 2012

"so there is no need for PDAF"

As an owner of the OMD I strongly disagree with that.

On the OMD use AFC on a subject that isn't moving and it is constantly hunting back and forth to keep confirming focus.

Use AFC on a PDAF camera and it will lock on to a static subject and have no need to keep hunting.

Shawn

FrankParis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shawn67, Nov 11, 2012

Shawn67 wrote:

On the OMD use AFC on a subject that isn't moving and it is constantly hunting back and forth to keep confirming focus.

Use AFC on a PDAF camera and it will lock on to a static subject and have no need to keep hunting.

The "constant hunting" as you call it is absolutely no problem at all. Just press the shutter release and the picture will be taken dead on more than 1/10 of a second later. So your "strong disagreement" is meaningless. Aside from that, I've found that most of the time the "constant seeking" you're talking about doesn't happen at all and, to quote you, "it will lock on to a static subject and have no need to keep hunting." I don't know what the problem is that you have with the OMD autofocusing. It is magnificent.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis's gear list:FrankParis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +7 more
guybie
Contributing MemberPosts: 661Gear list
Like?
In reply to sb123, Nov 11, 2012

I hope this statement is based on your experience?

Because i don't have this experience with my GH2 for BIF!

guybie's gear list:guybie's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
sb123
Like?
In reply to guybie, Nov 12, 2012

it is very much based on my experience. Just about every day since I got the G5 I've shot BIF, and AFC works time after time without a problem. My SLR should be so good.  The GH2 is not nearly as good. With the 75-300 it works in AFC mode. It does not work usably with the 100-300.

-- hide signature --

Steve Barnett

Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 3,971
Like?
G5 BIF
In reply to sb123, Nov 12, 2012

sb123 wrote:

it is very much based on my experience. Just about every day since I got the G5 I've shot BIF, and AFC works time after time without a problem. My SLR should be so good. The GH2 is not nearly as good. ...

Steve that sounds very interesting : maybe birders should be looking to get a G5 if they have m4/3rds lenses.

Did you make a thread detailing your findings?

Andy Crowe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,550Gear list
Like?
Not yet, possibly next OMD
In reply to Alex Notpro, Nov 12, 2012

None do yet, Olympus is rumoured to be using it in their next OMD to improve 4/3rds lens performance, but nothing is confirmed yet

marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
In reply to FrankParis, Nov 12, 2012

FrankParis wrote:

Shawn67 wrote:

The "constant hunting" as you call it is absolutely no problem at all. Just press the shutter release and the picture will be taken dead on more than 1/10 of a second later. So your "strong disagreement" is meaningless. Aside from that, I've found that most of the time the "constant seeking" you're talking about doesn't happen at all and, to quote you, "it will lock on to a static subject and have no need to keep hunting." I don't know what the problem is that you have with the OMD autofocusing. It is magnificent.

His strong disagreement is not meaningless as he's 100% correct.  Why do you think Nikon spent four years developing on sensor PDAF of the Nikon 1?  For predictive AF tracking CAF simply cannot keep up with fast moving subjects.  I don't know if anyone here has ever tried a Nikon 1 for BIF or sports or action, but in AFC it can track a moving subject with great accuracy, similar to a pro DSLR.

Sony understands this and has implemented PDAF in the NEX-5R.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
thinkfat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,184Gear list
Like?
No, and I'm not sure you'll want that.

All current implementations of the "Hybrid AF", i.e. PDAF on main image sensor suffer from erratic performance. EOS-M is slow, all Fujifilm (including X-Pro1) are OK only in good light, etc. Good tracking doesn't automatically go together with PDAF as a technology. My EOS 5D MkII is able to track subjects only in good light and using the center AF point, and that's with a dedicated AF sensor!

-- hide signature --

Everybody loves gadgets, until they try to make them
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thinkfat
http://thinkfat.blogspot.com

thinkfat's gear list:thinkfat's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +10 more
IrishhAndy
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?

Alex Notpro wrote:

No.  You need a dslr.

-- hide signature --

Without the darkness the light would be nothing !

sb123
Like?
Re: G5 BIF
In reply to Ulfric M Douglas, Nov 12, 2012

No, but it might be a good idea.  AFAIK no one else on this forum has tried the particular combination, G5 + 75-300.  If they haven't tried it they aren't qualified to tell me that it can't work. There is an undercurrent of AFC success with the EM5 and 75-300.  See Don Parrot's posts or Adventsam's recent owl posting.  And Trevor Carpenter is starting to post very nice shots of birds with the G5 + 100-300 including some BIFs.

-- hide signature --

Steve Barnett

Shawn67
Like?

" I don't know what the problem is that you have with the OMD autofocusing."

My "problem" is simply that I have had far better AFC on cameras that use PDAF.

Shawn

Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,577
Like?

FrankParis wrote:

Shawn67 wrote:

The "constant hunting" as you call it is absolutely no problem at all. Just press the shutter release and the picture will be taken dead on more than 1/10 of a second later. So your "strong disagreement" is meaningless. Aside from that, I've found that most of the time the "constant seeking" you're talking about doesn't happen at all and, to quote you, "it will lock on to a static subject and have no need to keep hunting." I don't know what the problem is that you have with the OMD autofocusing. It is magnificent.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Yes, and how dare you say anything negative about the greatest camera ever built. You've insulted Franks mother with that thinking!

brunobarolo
Contributing MemberPosts: 929
Like?

Knowing that Sony meanwhile has the on sensor PDAF technology and that Oly buy their image sensors from Sony now, it's not that difficult to predict that at least high end Oly cameras will have on sensor PDAF quite soon.

dontfret
Senior MemberPosts: 1,698Gear list
Like?
In reply to sb123, Nov 12, 2012

sb123 wrote:

it is very much based on my experience. Just about every day since I got the G5 I've shot BIF, and AFC works time after time without a problem. My SLR should be so good. The GH2 is not nearly as good. With the 75-300 it works in AFC mode. It does not work usably with the 100-300.

-- hide signature --

Steve Barnett

Steve, I've just received a G5 as a gift and am ordering lenses for birds and BIF.  I have a long history with FZ50 + Nikon TC17ED.  Any suggestions from you on G5 camera set up (# of focus points, AF-C, AF-F, i-Resolution, etc.) would be appreciated.  I'm about to order the 100-300 Panny, again any comments welcome.

-- hide signature --

Rich
Take many pictures - a few are keepers, the rest are are lessons.
http://lh3.google.com/firstqualityinc/R89BKIcX5hI/AAAAAAAABfM/bXE6o5D0cPY/s400/skimmer_filtered.jpg

dontfret's gear list:dontfret's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
jl123
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?
why not look at the Nex6?
In reply to brunobarolo, Nov 12, 2012

Seems to have the most advanced PDAF of their bunch? j

sb123
Like?
In reply to dontfret, Nov 12, 2012

First is the choice of lens.  The 100-300 is a good lens but I would pick the 75-300 instead because of its faster AF.  It's more expensive but Oly often offers a rebate on it.  The lack of IS hasn't bothered me at all since the shutter speeds i want for BIF are higher than the range helped by IS.  The 1/2 stop slower lens speed is compensated, to me, by its frequently useful wider zoom range.

Usually I leave the camera on 23 point focus and AFC.  AF/AE lock is on and AF/AE lock hold is on.  This lets you lock the focus (same as AFS) if that's appropriate and if a green focus square is on your subject.  If more precision is needed, I enable the small single point focus from the left edge of the 4 way controller.

I'm still trying out the IR settings and can't say which is best. If you see sharpening artifacts, back off.

IQ is peak at 400 and that is fine for BIF in good light.  800 is still good, 1600 is acceptable, and 3200 can be used if you don't crop much.

Don Parrot claims that Vivid JPEG setting is best with the EM5 and AFC - I don't find this to be true with the G5.

Steve Barnett

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads