Cam Ranger
Nov 11, 2012

The Good the bad and the ugly?

I did a search and really didn't find anything......so,

please share......thanks

-- hide signature --

Herb Turner

Herb's gear list:Herb's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
Herb
Contributing MemberPosts: 858Gear list
Like?
Re: Cam Ranger
In reply to Herb, Nov 12, 2012

Ok, no one commented so I took the plunge and ordered one. Biggest benefit I see is its self contained wifi.

Here is a video from you tube.

Paste in your browser... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfCNEh_YOX4

-- hide signature --

Herb Turner

Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Herb
Like?
In reply to Herb, Nov 12, 2012

Does this help?

http://www.camranger.com/

or this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfCNEh_YOX4

-- hide signature --

Herb Turner

dennisu
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to Herb, Dec 1, 2012

Did your get your cam ranger?

Any thoughts?

Was thinking of ordering one myself

Herb
Like?
In reply to dennisu, Dec 3, 2012

Yes, I got one.....here is a write up I did that compared Cam Ranger and Eye-Fi with Shutter Snitch

First, Eye-Fi. I don't like using it by itself (I can appreciate being frustrated with it), I haven't found a problem with that and ShutterSnitch. Try it with ShutterSnitch, what a difference. So far that seems to work great for me in terms of downloading photos to my iPad or iPhone.. It only downloads jpegs, even though it is supposed to download RAW. Eye-Fi by itself is really not very good....but with ShutterSnitch it is much better, enough that I bought two more cards. ShutterSnitch is available in the App Store. Runs about $16......but it works based on my limited fussing with it this past weekend. Works best if you are not tied into any other networks, in that case with the iPad open and on, when a photo is taken, the iPad and ShutterSnitch find the Eye-Fi card, connect and automatically download the photo. From when the photo is taken to when it loads into the iPad, the first time I did it tonight and measured it, it took 1 minute to load one photo. I then took 5 consecutive shots with my 1DsIII and the camera found the iPad and started downloading at 38 seconds and had loaded all 5 shots in 22 seconds. These photos show an actual size of about 6.7MB, so decent size.
I ran the 5 shot test one more time and again, the iPad was finding the Eye-Fi/ShutterSnitch in about 30 seconds, starting download at around 38 seconds and completing the download of 5 large photos to the iPad before the 60 second mark.
One last test, single shot. The two setups found themselves in about 23 seconds and the single photo was downloaded by about 30 seconds.
Moving on to the CamRanger. Interesting....CamRanger is really a TP-LINK Battery Powered Wireless N Router. model number TL-MR3040. Pop out the battery and all the information is right there. The battery is a TP-LINK 68A2000
There is information on the web page link on the specific unit and battery.
http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/?categoryid=&model=TL-MR3040
There is a code that links the router to the software. You can't open the software without the code. Without the software it just doesn't work.
The key is the software to drive the camera through the router. 
CamRanger loaded the photo through the wireless connection in under 4 seconds. The big difference is that CR keeps a dedicated WiFi connection where EF/SS had to find each other, there isn't a dedicated connected WIFI signal between the card and iPad like there is with CR.
CR battery is easily changed and supposedly gives 3 to 4 hours of life per charge. You can control the camera from CR, I haven't figured out how to do that with EF/SS. 
I view the two devices very differently.
If I wanted to control the camera remotely, then CamRanger. Probably for settings where the camera was stationary on a tripod or similar location. The refresh rate through the camera in live view doesn't lend itself very well IMO for action sports. Using the camera with the CR as a download it would be no problem. Remember there is a cable from the camera to the CR wireless router.
CR has limited cameras that work with it right now. Dave, the developer told me that he was working with CR to work with the 1DsIII. He thought he was a couple of weeks away. Check the website for cameras that he has cracked the code on already.
What else can I tell you?
Regards, Herb

-- hide signature --

Herb Turner

Herb
Like?
Eye-fi info
In reply to Herb, Dec 3, 2012

I bought the 3rd generation extreme CF adapter SD to Type II CF (blue in color), here is where I got mine...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DKO7R8/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&redirect=true
It cost $15.....once I found the wifi signal from the Eye-Fi, the photos I had taken started downloading with ShutterSnitch to my iPad.
If you have your iPad tied into another wifi source, the iPad wireless has to be pointed at the card to go. Otherwise it won't go. If the iPad is not pointed to any signal (I had to tell it to forget the signal in the house), it would automatically tie into the Eye-Fi signal, transfer the photo and be ready to go again.

-- hide signature --

Herb Turner

dennisu
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to Herb, Dec 5, 2012

Thank for the review Herb

just wondering what you thought of the ipad software?

I was thinking for using it for macro photography and focus stacking.

Dennis

slidewilson
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
In reply to Herb, Dec 6, 2012

Great review Herb, thank you!!

pgphoto_ca
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
Like?
In reply to Herb, Feb 6, 2013

Herb wrote:

please share......thanks

-- hide signature --

Herb Turner

For Android

You can used DSLR Dashboard for Android

+ this router http://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Portable-Battery-Wireless-TL-MR3040/dp/B0088PPFP4/ref=sr_1_20?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360116126&sr=1-20&keywords=tp-link+wireless+router

or here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887062-REG/TP_Link_TL_MR3040_Portable_Battery_Powered.html

(same a CamRanger !!!)

+ this software on the router https://openwrt.org/

+ this installation procedure http://www.disk91.com/2012/technology/systems/installation-of-a-piratebox-on-t-link-mr3040/

a 50$ solution

Herb
Like?
In reply to pgphoto_ca, Feb 8, 2013

pgphoto_ca wrote:

Herb wrote:

please share......thanks

-- hide signature --

Herb Turner

For Android

You can used DSLR Dashboard for Android

+ this router http://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Portable-Battery-Wireless-TL-MR3040/dp/B0088PPFP4/ref=sr_1_20?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360116126&sr=1-20&keywords=tp-link+wireless+router

or here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887062-REG/TP_Link_TL_MR3040_Portable_Battery_Powered.html

(same a CamRanger !!!)

+ this software on the router https://openwrt.org/

+ this installation procedure http://www.disk91.com/2012/technology/systems/installation-of-a-piratebox-on-t-link-mr3040/

a 50$ solution

I dont think it is that easy....how do you control the camera?  There are a number of features in the camera that are controlled via CamRanger and ipad.  I bought the CamRanger and it is pretty nice.  One thing to talk to your camera to download files, a whole other thing to control the camera settings or to be an intravelometer for example.

Herb Turner

Nickerjo
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Herb, Feb 16, 2013

Just received mine a few days ago.  Put my 5d mkii fitted with a tube and a 17-40 on a tripod and placed it just a few inches from a rose bud. took six images changibg the focus slightly for each one using the incremental focus buttons on the Ipad Cam Ranger App.  Then did a stack and merge in CS6. Worked great.

Haven't tested the range yet, but all features work as described except for metering mode, and that might be something I am doing wrong.

Jim Campbell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,880
Like?
Re: Cam Ranger = awesome
In reply to Herb, Feb 16, 2013

Do wish it worked with PC, but the application is awesome on Iphone and Ipad.

skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,490Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Campbell, Feb 20, 2013

Thought it woukd be great to use as a video monitor with 60D, but upon further reading it said "no live view during movie recording"! Bummer!

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
Nickerjo
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to skanter, Mar 2, 2013

Works great.  The old Canon software required a laptop connected to the  camera.

This device connects to the camera and you can then establish a wifi connection to you Ipad or Phone.

Right out of  box I attached it to my Canon 5d  MKII, mounted a 17-40 with a tube and placed on

a tripod. Sprayed a rose bud with some watter and then placed the lens about a inch away. Show 7 images at different focus depths. Then stacked all images in CS6. Great results.

My next test was with text.  I had 28 Books of Common Prayet our church had received. Each had a personal note from another parish member.  I set up the light and the tripod, place the first book and drew reference lines around it. From tah point on all I did was palce the following books within the reference lines and just touch the Ipad

to fine focus and then touched the capture button.

I look forward to using it for wildlife.

John Nickerson

LeaningPalmStudio.com

SimonPinner
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Herb, Apr 12, 2013

Herb

Good postbut have question.

You say that the cam ranger is the TP MR 3040, if you use the cam ranger with the TP Link product and use the pin number on the Lable! Will the  cam ranger app recognise it or have they modified the app to only work with their own pre defined pin numbers so justifying 10 x more for the so called free software.

Bottom line is do I have to have the cam ranger router to use their app.

Lawrence Becker
Regular MemberPosts: 395
Like?
In reply to SimonPinner, Apr 17, 2013

The app isn't really "free" - who do you think pays the development costs for developing a quality app?  I would think that salaries, development costs, and so on, are a part of the cost of the  Camranger.

I DID buy a Camranger last week and have been playing with it on my iPad 4. I have found it to be a great edition to my 5dII. I think the resolution on my iPad is fine for evaluating framing and focus.

I had a question about how it worked on my 5DII, sent an email to Camranger and within 15 minutes or so I had a very helpful and personal answer from them. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the shutter speed below 1/30th of a second, and he told me how to change a setting in my camera that related to video shooting. So even though the problem was my lack of knowledge about my camera, they took the time to help me.

I am impressed with the product and the people running it...

-- hide signature --

Larry Becker

apixel
Contributing MemberPosts: 591
Like?
In reply to Herb, 9 months ago

This thread is a little old, but since there isn't THAT much information about CamRanger out there and I just got one, I'll get in here quick to add that it's a GREAT tool.

I was a little worried that it sounded like a great thing to have, but that using it would actually make my shoots slower. ( Sometimes that happens with a cool gadget ) Instead, it was the opposite.

I was so much easier to do my bracketed shots ( I bracket ISO, mostly ) from the app than touching the camera.

It was also an amazing tool for checking my images, since I often shoot very reflective surfaces, and it's hard to tell "in camera" if you covered every edge. I LOVE that ONLY when you select a thumbnail, the image gets downloaded. Other tools get every image, which really slows everything down.

And finally, being able to move around to play with the lights and not have to go back to my camera was also incredibly productive. ( and then check the image to see how the shadows changed ) Half the time I have an assistant, but I often do not ... and this makes me assist myself better.

The one problem I ran into was that focus stacking did not work for me "out of the box". The fix was turning off image review in my camera. For some reason, the app can't focus and retake a shot if an image is still being reviewed. That was not explained or intuitive,  but support got back to me within 10 minutes of emailing them.

Hope this helps someone doing a similar google search as I was doing last week.

-- hide signature --

Photo gallery at: http://www.fotophoto.net/

ljudice
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
In reply to apixel, 9 months ago

I have one also, and concur with your comments.  It has been quite solid and reliable. I use it mostly for Macro with my 60D.  I have not used it with the 6D and in fact, I haven't tried the 6D's wifi features yet to compare them, but the feature set in the Camranger is much more extensive.

I like the ability to see on a large screen (iPad).  To me this is more useful than the 60D flippy screen.

My only complaint, and it is not the Camranger's fault, is that I put together a rather elaborate rig with the CR to shoot hummingbirds at a feeder this summer and the darned things just absolutely never came for some reason.

ljudice's gear list:ljudice's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads