Five New Samyang/Rokinon E-mount Cine Lenses

Started Nov 11, 2012 | Discussions
golfpan
Regular MemberPosts: 258Gear list
Like?
Five New Samyang/Rokinon E-mount Cine Lenses
Nov 11, 2012

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/five-new-e-moutn-rokinonsamyang-lenses-released-and-preorders/

8mm T/3.8 Fisheye Cine Lens for Sony E
14mm T3.1 Cine Lens for Sony E
24mm T1.5 Cine Lens for Sony E
35mm T1.5 Cine Lens for Sony E
85mm T1.5 Cine Lens for Sony E

Smooth aperture control and T-stop ratings.  Prices aren't bad either, and they look to be shipping soon.

Lots of nice choices in E-mount this year!

golfpan's gear list:golfpan's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +12 more
Canon EOS 1100D (EOS Rebel T3 / EOS Kiss X50)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,602
Like?
Re: Five New Samyang/Rokinon E-mount Cine Lenses
In reply to golfpan, Nov 11, 2012

I think these are existing Samyang A mount lenses, with a new aperture ring calibrated in T stops. Not E mount, but of course usable with an adapter.

Probably good for the F900 full-frame video camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
golfpan
Regular MemberPosts: 258Gear list
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Nov 11, 2012

D Cox wrote:

I think these are existing Samyang A mount lenses, with a new aperture ring calibrated in T stops. Not E mount, but of course usable with an adapter.

Probably good for the F900 full-frame video camera.

It's possible, but the B&H part numbers have "NEX" in them. Could be B&H made a mistake, though, since they say they're full frame and we haven't seen that yet in an E-mount still camera. Then again, maybe these are meant for the NEX VG900 full frame E-mount video camera? Time will tell I suppose. Anyway, they look like nice lenses!

golfpan's gear list:golfpan's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +12 more
athos56
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to golfpan, Nov 11, 2012

The Samyang site has a data sheet for each lens. The sheets have DSLR, 4/3, and E-mount versions listed. So its either that they list the 4/3 and E-mount thinking that the fact that you can use adapters is enough to justify filling out the data sheet as a marketing tool. Or they made versions with the adapters built in to the lenses. Either way they are the same as the DSLR versions.

quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,384Gear list
Like?
In reply to athos56, Nov 12, 2012

athos56 wrote:

The Samyang site has a data sheet for each lens. The sheets have DSLR, 4/3, and E-mount versions listed. So its either that they list the 4/3 and E-mount thinking that the fact that you can use adapters is enough to justify filling out the data sheet as a marketing tool. Or they made versions with the adapters built in to the lenses. Either way they are the same as the DSLR versions.

The already-existing Samyang 8mm f3.5 fisheye for NEX fits directly onto the camera without adapter if that's any indication.

A question about Samyang lenses - do they send the EXIF data to the camera so you'll still be able to see what f/stop you set in the final picture?

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
ennemkay
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285Gear list
Like?
In reply to golfpan, Nov 12, 2012

how does a cine lens differ from a standard lens for stills?

ennemkay's gear list:ennemkay's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Canon PowerShot S95 +1 more
kazkioken
Contributing MemberPosts: 512
Like?
In reply to ennemkay, Nov 12, 2012

ennemkay wrote:

how does a cine lens differ from a standard lens for stills?

The only differences are:

1. lens gears for a follow focus
  2. T stops instead of F stops (consistency between brands of lenses)
  3. markings on lenses are oriented to someone standing to the shooter's left (focus puller)
-- hide signature --
Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,801
Like?
In reply to kazkioken, Nov 14, 2012

So what's the deal here? It seems odd they would be in e mount and not a mount. This has to be a typo.

Ryan1668
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cane, Nov 17, 2012

Cane wrote:

So what's the deal here? It seems odd they would be in e mount and not a mount. This has to be a typo.

Cane,

All the Cine lens already have Sony Alpha Mount, you can check it here. http://www.fotogears.com

Thank you

-
Ryan1668

Ryan1668's gear list:Ryan1668's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +4 more
Ryan1668
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
In reply to golfpan, Nov 17, 2012

The E mount for VDSLR lens is for those VG20 videocamera. The size of the lens is similar with those A mount lenses.  Dont confuse this with the NEX is a small size NEX lenses but Sony E mount is same with the NEX mount.  Only Sony have two different uses, one is for Video VG10, VG20 and one is Sony NEX mirrorless camera.  The Samyang E mount for VDSLR is not the smaller size lenses, it is bigger size lens like those Canon, Nikon DSLR.

If you still confuse, please check http://www.fotogears.com for complete range of Samyang lenses.

-- hide signature --

Ryan1668

Ryan1668's gear list:Ryan1668's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +4 more
Joe Ogiba
Senior MemberPosts: 2,925Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ryan1668, Nov 17, 2012

Here is my 35mm F1.4 Bower (Samyang) full frame wide angle with Sony A mount I received today for my VG900.

35mm F1.4 Bower with Sony A mount on my VG900 with FF LA-EA3 adapter

Joe Ogiba's gear list:Joe Ogiba's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
MYNEWS TV
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Joe Ogiba, Dec 1, 2012

Joe Ogiba wrote:

Here is my 35mm F1.4 Bower (Samyang) full frame wide angle with Sony A mount I received today for my VG900.

Hi Joe,

I have read and re-read some of the reviews on the VG900, and somehow I am still a little confused about the effect of using a lens on the (add-on) A-mount adapter (your photo), in contrast with a lens used directly on the fixed e-mount.

dpreview:

"As an extra refinement, the NEX-VG900 camcorder switches automatically from full-frame operation to APS-C mode when an E-mount or A-mount DT lens is attached. "

If I want to make use of the full frame on the VG900, without any crop factors, do I get a lens with an a-mount or e-mount?

Thanks!

Joe Ogiba
Senior MemberPosts: 2,925Gear list
Like?
In reply to MYNEWS TV, Dec 2, 2012

MYNEWS TV wrote:

Joe Ogiba wrote:

Hi Joe,

I have read and re-read some of the reviews on the VG900, and somehow I am still a little confused about the effect of using a lens on the (add-on) A-mount adapter (your photo), in contrast with a lens used directly on the fixed e-mount.

dpreview:

"As an extra refinement, the NEX-VG900 camcorder switches automatically from full-frame operation to APS-C mode when an E-mount or A-mount DT lens is attached. "

If I want to make use of the full frame on the VG900, without any crop factors, do I get a lens with an a-mount or e-mount?

Thanks!

The only E mount lens that I know of that covers the FF VG900 sensor is the Zeiss Compact Prime Cine lenses but they cost thousands and most users rent them.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/810883-REG/Zeiss_1907_601_Compact_Prime_CP_2_50.html

VG900 with E mount Zeiss Cine lens that covers the FF sensor

I use low cost Pentax to NEX adapters with my FF Pentax mount lenses that also covers the VG900 FF sensor.

VG900 using FF 85mm F1.4 and PK-NEX adapter

Also most FF Nikon and other FF lenses like the FF Canon FD mount lenses should cover the VG900 FF sensor using low cost adapters.

http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=NEX+adapter

Joe Ogiba's gear list:Joe Ogiba's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
sakjdakjas
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to Joe Ogiba, Dec 2, 2012

Joe - the Samyang E-mount Cine lenses definitely cover a FF sensor.

There's a slight exception - the new detachable hood 8/3.5 lens leaves a partial arc on the sides of a FF frame, albeit it fully covers S35 / APS-C sensors.

tophtml
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
In reply to quezra, 7 months ago

quezra wrote:

athos56 wrote:

The already-existing Samyang 8mm f3.5 fisheye for NEX fits directly onto the camera without adapter if that's any indication.

A question about Samyang lenses - do they send the EXIF data to the camera so you'll still be able to see what f/stop you set in the final picture?

I got the 85mm Version for my NEX-EA50 a couple of months ago and It produces great video.  I'm picking up the 24mm version next month.  No EXIF data is sent and there are NO electrical connections to the camera.  It is full manual but has a very smooth (de-clicked) aperture ring at the base and a smooth focus ring.  The throw on the rings is about 90 degrees and when paired with peaking, makes for accurate focusing.  The gearing makes this lens perfect with a follow focus system, however there is a non-cine lens which may be more suitable for stills.

tophtml's gear list:tophtml's gear list
A3000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads